Coursework & Fieldwork Which degree to choose for occupational therapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ot_pedi10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently at a community college getting my pre-ot degree. Next Spring, I am transferring to a university in my state to finish the last two years to get my bachelor's degree. I recently talked to an Occupational therapist on the phone and she said to do recreational therapy as a bachelor's degree because you can get experience indirectly with the rehabilitation field and I can make money to pay off some debt that I already have, which I am worried about. She also mentioned exercise science too, but she said there is not much jobs for it unless you want to be a personal trainer. I was looking at job sites to see if recreational therapy would be worth the investment as far as job prospects go, and there was not a lot of job listings for it. Should I still go with recreational therapy since the OT I knew suggested it or a different path? I want to make sure whatever degree I choose not only helps me stand out when applying to master's OT school, but can give me a return on my investment if I do not get into graduate school right away. Also, would graduate schools accept nursing degrees into OT schools or would that be a disapproving degree that wouldn't get experience in a rehabilition field? I NEED HELP desperately.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I don't believe there is a degree that would make you stand out more to a master's program. A huge portion of my class is psych but we have some architecture (which is great for the environments/home health portion of OT, graphics design (great for the creative aspects of the program),business (great for the policy/productivity portion) ect. I feel like almost any undergrad degree you choose can offer something to the field and I don't think programs look at what you did as much as how much you did with it or how passionate you are about OT. So pick something you love to do so you can enjoy it and will be able to apply it when you get into a master's program and a career. As for the return investment of a degree, I did psych and wouldn't recommend it haha I couldn't find much of a job with it after school. But it has been a HUGE help to my OT studies. Overall, pick something you enjoy!

I'll throw my two cents in: the faculty at my OT program look down a bit on rec therapy students. The problem they have is that some former rec therapy students who become OT students have a hard time turning off the rec therapy brain and turning on the OT brain. I agree with the previous poster, if you know you want to be an OT, just get a degree you'll enjoy. We have all kinds of majors in my program.

Members don't see this ad :)
ncOT9, such a good point. Especially during this time where rec therapy is really pushing to include our scope of practice terms within their own terminology. I really respect rec therapists and think they do great work but right now I'd say it's a little tense between our professions on a scope of practice level. It's definitely a hot topic. Although I wouldn't discourage you from this major, especially if it's something you love, but it is a whole different area of therapy with a different view on things (for now). Just something to consider!

Recreational therapy is a great major to go into. That's the major I chose. The fact that some areas of OT and RT overlap, just means good experience before you go into OT. Also, you will get experience in things like assessments, progress notes and discharge summaries. Another good thing is that you will receive a great education on different medical conditions and disabilities that you will come across in OT, and you will learn so much about the healthcare industry. I have never heard of anyone not being able to make the transition from RT to OT if it is what they really want, so don't go into OT for the wrong reasons (more money). You should pick what ever major that you like, and that allows you to complete the prerequisites. If recreation therapy is what you want, then go for it. You won't regret it when you start applying to OT school, because you will learn so many valuable things for OT school.

An OTR friend of mine started in nursing in undergrad but ultimately liked OT more and applied to an OT masters program. I think if you're interested in both, then taking classes required for nursing couldn't hurt. That's what undergrad is for.. trying out different classes and checking out different careers. You might decide you're more interested in one thing than another, so I would suggest not stressing or limiting yourself to what you *think* you're supposed to be doing for one path. You still have a couple years to explore/shadow different areas. Good luck!

I would pick the undergrad major that you are the most excited about, that will yield the highest gpa for you, and that meets the most pre-requisites for MOT's (so that you save time and money later by avoiding having to attend a CC after your bachelor's to fulfill remaining pre_reqs). Hope that makes sense!