Which AMBOSS hammers for Shelf exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IR3A4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I start clerkships in like a week and I plan to do Amboss questions daily alongside Anki to prep for the Shelf exams (and Step 2). I've heard varying opinions about the question difficulty from folks, specifically that 1 Hammer questions are far too easy and 5 Hammer questions are so elaborate they may make you overthink things going forward. How have you used Amboss as your question bank? Do you just do the 2-4 hammer questions? Any other tips?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i do 1-4 only, but even some of 4 hammers are kind of out there

Reactions: 1 user
i do 1-4 only, but even some of 4 hammers are kind of out there
How have you liked them so far? Have you done any UWorld to compare it to for Shelf exams?

Members don't see this ad :)
How have you liked them so far? Have you done any UWorld to compare it to for Shelf exams?
I try to do both. So far I've only done above average on IM which I didn't even finish either Q bank for. My lowest is OB which i did finish both Q banks for so.....

if you have time I would try do most of them. however, if your pressed for time and already finished UW for that shelf, I'd recommend doing 2-4 hammers. 1 hammer stuff will basically for sure have been in UW and the 5 hammers aren't worth it if the shelf is really close. the 2-4 hammers would be the biggest bang for your buck.