When you tell them you want to be an OB/GYN...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubyness

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had a lot of negative reactions when I tell people I want to be an OB/GYN. Why do doctors feel the need to discourage you? Why do they ask at all if they're just going to rain on my parade?

I am tired of people saying "Oh the lifestyle sucks!" or the other perennial favorite "The malpractice sucks!".

I want to deliver babies, promote women's health, build a practice, do community work. Etc etc.

The rudest response I have gotten is "Why would you want to do that? Just so you can be woken up in the middle of the night so someone can scream at you?"

They're actually starting to scare me--should I run for the hills before it's too late?

Good grief!:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Although some of the stuff they say may hold truth, the rest is out of ignorance. When I was thinking about Pathology, I used to get statements like "playing with dead people..." and "there are no jobs."

With OB/GYN the same holds true. Most people now opt for the large group practice, where call is Q6-7 and lighter than some residency programs. The Malpractice is a concern but since states like CA and FL have already placed caps others will ultimately follow through and cause the rates to drop.

Regardless, take it with a smile and let them say whatever!

Hey Global!

When did Florida start placing caps on damages? According to the info posted on the AMA website, only six states have caps in place, and Florida is not one of them.

I am aware that the Governor of Texas signed a liability reform bill in June and that voters will be asked in September to make the caps legal, but I have not heard anything about Florida. Have you?

It has been in the works in the FL legislation for a while now, but the news of an agreement just came out recently. This is one byu Reuters published on 8/13/03:

Florida Lawmakers Approve Medical Malpractice Plan
Wed Aug 13, 6:02 PM ET

By Michael Peltier

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (Reuters) - Florida lawmakers on Wednesday ended months of heated debate by passing a sweeping medical malpractice reform package that caps certain lawsuit damages and freezes insurance rates for at least four months.

Gov. Jeb Bush applauded lawmakers following three special legislative sessions to hammer out a compromise measure and said he would likely sign the bill into law on Thursday.

"I'm confident there will be a reduction in insurance premiums," Bush said. "I'm confident we'll have a better system to deal with doctors -- the small number of doctors -- that commit grievous malpractice. I know we will be able to get better data for all of us to be able to make policy decisions going forward."

The compromise plan caps damages for pain and suffering and other noneconomic penalties at $500,000 per doctor and calls for an immediate freeze on skyrocketing insurance rates that physicians say are forcing many to limit their practices or go out of business.

The bill also places liability caps for health care facilities and emergency rooms. Victims would be still able collect up to $2.5 million in noneconomic damages for the most egregious cases, such as those causing serious injury or death.

"In (homeland) security, we had to balance the issues of our civil liberties versus our need for security," said Republican state Rep. Dudley Goodlette, a key House negotiator. "In this issue, we're balancing the access to quality health care in this state with the access to the courts."

After hours of debate, the Senate passed the reform package 32-4. The House followed a few minutes later, approving the same bill 87-26.

Insurance companies would have up to 210 days to settle a case after a lawsuit is filed without being subject to lawsuits themselves, under a set of provisions changing current state laws regarding "bad faith."

Opponents of the bill included the Florida Medical Association, the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers and medical malpractice insurers. Further, Democrats said the bill failed to require insurers to pass on savings to physicians who have faced steadily rising malpractice insurance rates.

Instead, the plan freezes rates until Jan. 1, when insurers would be required to justify new rates based on the new legal environment.