When will 10/23 PCAT scores be available?(merging of all threads on the subject)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fob12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the PCAT test (administered on Oct. 23) score will be out next week before the November 23rd test?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow...ya'll are doing so well. I hav'nt received mine yet...hope it'll get here today.

did everyone who get in the 90's feel as if they did this well or was it somewhat of a shock seeing your scores. How much would you say you guessed on the analytical, etc. ? just curious as I have not received mine yet in Illinois!

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only person if FL that hasn't gotten their scores yet? I'm in Jacksonville and the scores didn't come in today's (Fri.) mail either. This is driving me nuts. Let me know if you have your scores and you live around J-ville.

I just checked the mail expecting my scores to arrive today since other people from Tampa said they got theirs two days ago. Suprise no scores!!!! This is really ****%%^% annoying.

yay, 95

in response to the question asked earlier about "did those in the 90's feel as though they thought they did that well,"
No!
I thought I'd be around 70-80. I found the quant. and chem real tough.
My guess is that everyone around here will do better than you think.

Ran home today to find out that there is no score in the mail. I'm in Atlanta, GA. I'm running out of patience. Today is the deadline to sign up for the PCAT in Jan. I guess I'm going to sign up for it no matter what's my score.

Members don't see this ad :)
...I got a 94! I was kind of surprised...but I'll definitely take it!

This is unbelievably crazy.....the mail man came today but my scores didnt! Guess its time to call these guys.

Do you guys know what happens if someone takes the PCAT twice. Do they pick the highest score from each section and then get a composite score?
Kevin

Does anyone know if schools in general and UF in particular look closer at the individual scores or at the composite?

FutureRxGal said:
They mainly look at the composite score, although if you have one individual that is way off from the others, they may question that.
One of my classmates got in the 30s on chemistry. A low score on one section does not necessarily mean you are screwed. But, if you have the chance to retake, it might not be a bad idea, depending on how low the score is.

Finally got my scores today (Saturday) in Michigan...I was hoping for 80s...I got a composite 99! I guess I won't need to take it again in January. :D

I retook it in November because I knew I had done poorly in Biology, and I was right. Got a 62 in it. :oops:

Wow, everyone getting in the 90s. They need to make it harder to differentiate ppl.

jemc2000 said:
I retook it in November because I knew I had done poorly in Biology, and I was right. Got a 62 in it. :oops:

Don't feel bad. The first time I took the PCAT, the math section imtimidated the crap out of me because of the time restraint versus the amount of questions. I think I made a 37 or so on the math section on that attempt. :laugh: Needless to say, I did much better the second time around. I wouldn't sweat it. Not everyone (including me) will score in the high 90s. :luck:

DrPharm said:
Wow, everyone getting in the 90s. They need to make it harder to differentiate ppl.
Everyone isn't getting in the 90s. Maybe people who are posting on here did, but a percentile is based on EVERYONE'S score. A percentile is different than the percent of questions that were gotten right. A score of 90 percentile composite means that you did better than 90% of the population that took the test, not that you got 90% of the questions right. In fact, even though I got a 94 percentile score, if I calculate the percent of the answers I got right over all, it's only 72%.

jemc2000 said:
The first time I took the PCAT I got a 62 in biology. The 2nd time, I raised it to a 96! Here's sending good vibes your way for the Nov score :)

My composite score was only a 87. :( Oh well, I'll throw my hat in the ring and see what happens.

ckv34l said:
Do you guys know what happens if someone takes the PCAT twice. Do they pick the highest score from each section and then get a composite score?
Kevin
Harcourt decides your score individually with each test you take. They don't average them. The schools you apply to have no way off calculating your composite score because in order to due so, they would have to have access to all the scores of everyone in the nation. They could take your scaled score and find the best average, but I think that's too much trouble for them to do when they have so many applicants.

87!
That isn't a bad score by any stretch
You beat 87 % of the country, and that's pretty darn good
I think RX schools will be just fine with 87 (I think that's over the mean for pharm school acceptees at many places from what I've seen)

I got a 55 on the biology, everyone must be pretty good at it because i thought i had done well on that section. i don't think they'll care much, my composite was still good.

My chemistry professor told me that she had spoken with a rep from UF and the average PCAT for accepted students was a 90, so I would definitely apply. Just don't take my spot! :laugh: I'm trying to get in at the Jacksonville campus since I live only 15 mins away. They only take about 50 people but the Gainesville campus takes over 300. Good luck!

Betty'sBeast said:
My chemistry professor told me that she had spoken with a rep from UF and the average PCAT for accepted students was a 90, so I would definitely apply. Just don't take my spot! :laugh: I'm trying to get in at the Jacksonville campus since I live only 15 mins away. They only take about 50 people but the Gainesville campus takes over 300. Good luck!

:laugh: I want into St. Pete or Apopka, not even putting Jacksonville or Gainesville as an option. :)

Am I the only person who doesn't have my results yet? It's Saturday and I'm in Florida. :confused: And now that everyone is talking about their high 80's and 90's I'm a little scared to say the least!

I live in Tampa, Fl and I still haven't gotten my scores even though I have seen that other people in Tampa have.

Betty'sBeast said:

They take around 300 students total for each class, which is divided amongst the campuses. Gainesville takes about 130 students and there are approximately 50 students for each distance campus. My class in St. Pete started with 62, which included 2 students who had to repeat. Both of them washed out. My 2nd year class is now over 70. We have over 10 students who are repeating courses and one student who transferred from Gainesville.

UF looks more at the total composite score, so don't sweat the 87. The 90 is an average, so they have to accept people with scores in the 80's. If you choose to retake the PCAT, they put both sets of scores on your application. This was before PharmCAS, so they may handle the PCAT differently now.

ndearwater said:
Am I the only person who doesn't have my results yet? It's Saturday and I'm in Florida. :confused: And now that everyone is talking about their high 80's and 90's I'm a little scared to say the least!

I don't think Brian, John or Jeff have theirs yet either, so I wouldn't stress it. Plus you know you rocked the house! :)

Good afternoon,

Greetings, and congrats to all on the Oct Pcat. I am a long time guest and have just finally joined. I did not do as well as I had hoped (87), and I am also applying to UF. My first year friends there were given their freshmen stats their first week of classes. The PCAT range was apparently 85 to 99 with an average of 92.
DrGroulx and others, my question to you is, should I retake in Jan? Admissions assures me that Jan. scores are considered before rolling admissions begin. My problem is that I have taken a leave of absence form my employer, Merck, which I would have to continue to study for Jan. I am decently competitive otherwise (BS Micro, 3.68). In short, should I retake, or go back to work and apply with my 87?

Thanks for the advice, Mark

Tyrol said:
Good afternoon,

Greetings, and congrats to all on the Oct Pcat. I am a long time guest and have just finally joined. I did not do as well as I had hoped (87), and I am also applying to UF. My first year friends there were given their freshmen stats their first week of classes. The PCAT range was apparently 85 to 99 with an average of 92.
DrGroulx and others, my question to you is, should I retake in Jan? Admissions assures me that Jan. scores are considered before rolling admissions begin. My problem is that I have taken a leave of absence form my employer, Merck, which I would have to continue to study for Jan. I am decently competitive otherwise (BS Micro, 3.68). In short, should I retake, or go back to work and apply with my 87?

Thanks for the advice, Mark

Having the BS in Micro is good. What is your math/science GPA as looked at by UF?

I don't think the 87 PCAT is bad, but if you think you can pull it up then retake it. Last year with over 1,800 valid applications (several hundred were incomplete), they had to draw the line somewhere. It looks like 85 was the minimum that they looked at. It's impossible to know if they are going to raise that minimum this year. When I applied 2 years ago, it was an 85 minimum with only 900 applications. So, they haven't raised the minimum PCAT, yet.

I'm not sure why you have to leave work to study for the PCAT.

Dana-

Thanks for your reply. To answer your questions, I need to take a lot of time off to study because I am a very poor standardized test taker. Also I haven't done any studying since taking the PCAT in Oct. As far as GPA, I am not sure how UF combines them to get a math/science average. According to Pharmacas my math is 4.0 and science is 3.66, but I don't see a composite on their website. Am I missing something? I know UF does list a math/science on their website. Does UF take the two and form one average? I appreciate your help,

Thanks, Mark

yadi yadi YAH....!!~* PCATs aren't here yet...!!~* and I am in Florida..!!~* getting sooo nervous... skipping physics lab.. just to go home and check mail..!!~* I congrats everyone who have recieved their PCAT scores... until then.. I will cross my fingers and I get them today...!!~*

P.S.

but ... I only want my scores if it has good news on it.. if NOT.. i will be very dissapointed, AND depress... urgghh... everyone wish me LUCK...!!~* :rolleyes:

I got an 86 composite. Quantitative was a low 65 as I expected. I did better in Bio than Chem which surprised me. So I guess I'm the lowest grade so far. :thumbdown:

I just received my PCAT scores and my composite was a 93%...My worst score was in verbal ability with a 43%. Do you think I am competitive for Campbell or Palm Beach Atlantic.

Hey all, this is my first post here. I got my PCAT scores today (Brooksville, FL; about 1hr north of Tampa) and was looking online to see what a competitive score was and found this forum.This is my first and only (whether I get in or not) time taking it and I got a 93 percentile composite. Damn verbal and reading comprehension really killed me :(. I, however, was expecting this from my days of scoring in the 30 percentiles on the ACT in readng comprehension... I was slightly happy with my math percentile of 90 considering that I didn't have time to finish ten of them.

Well, anyway, I have a couple of questions to ask and maybe you all can help me.

1) Has Gainesville started sending out interview invites for students other than early admission?

2)Is my score any good or am i stuck in undergraduate hell for another year as I contemplate what I am going to do with my life?

3) Every pharmacy school that I have applied to specifically says not to send your PCAT scores to the school. They have this in bold and underlined on every website. Well, me being an idiot sent it to each school, but I also sent it to PharmCAS. Will this be a problem?