MD When to arrive before orientation- M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronnicus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to go on a Europe trip in June and am wondering when I should return- ie how much time do I need to get everything together, move and arrive at med school (across the country) to get acclimated before orientation starts. I know this probably depends in part on the person.

Edit: Currently thinking about two weeks. Would give myself a week and a half to pack and make arrangements. Then move there a couple days before.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This was for residency, but I moved a week before orientation started. Allowed me to get settled, get used to a new city, and meet some people before the real work began.

I'm planning to go on a Europe trip in June and am wondering when I should return- ie how much time do I need to get everything together, move and arrive at med school (across the country) to get acclimated before orientation starts. I know this probably depends in part on the person.

Depends entirely on the person. The range is quite wide. I would say 1-4 weeks is 'normal'. When I moved for residency I bought my condo in May for a July 1st start.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This was for residency, but I moved a week before orientation started. Allowed me to get settled, get used to a new city, and meet some people before the real work began.
I think personally I only need a few days to get settled, but I also don't want to over-rush things, especially in the packing and moving phase since I'm moving across the country. I am currently thinking about two weeks. Would give myself a week and a half to pack and make arrangements. Then move there a couple days before. How does that sound?

Incoming M1 here and I'm also moving cross country. I'm moving first week of July for a 1st week of August Orientation, though for me I do just want to relax and enjoy the new city I'm in before school actually starts. To put things into contect, I moved across the country 4 years ago without anything but clothes, and it only took me ~3 days to get my keys, buy a bed, buy a few pieces of furniture, and other small kitchen stuff. Then, it was another day or two to get the internet and other utility stuff set up.

I did a cross country move as well before O-week and thought 1 full week was adequate in terms of getting my place set up, getting acquainted with my new city and hanging out with my classmates before officially starting.

I did a cross country move as well before O-week and thought 1 full week was adequate in terms of getting my place set up, getting acquainted with my new city and hanging out with my classmates before officially starting.
How did you get all your stuff across the country? I was thinking to ship most everything and then buy furniture there and other stuff there.

How did you get all your stuff across the country? I was thinking to ship most everything and then buy furniture there and other stuff there.

I'll be driving a Uhaul or comparable moving vehicle about 3 weeks before orientation begins. My job wraps up in June though so I have plenty of free time, otherwise I would probably move a little bit closer to orientation day.

Honestly though my dogs need more time to adjust than I do

Moving into my apartment (1 state away from where I live) 3 weeks before orientation begins.

Unless you are changing states and need to register a lot of items (firearm, vehicle, etc). I feel like 1-2 weeks is usually fine.

1-2 weeks is plenty, it's up to your preference. More if you'd prefer, less is fine too... we had people arrive a few days before classes.

I actually sold/donated most of my stuff before making the drive. I filled up my car with essentials and just bought everything else in the city I was relocating to.

I'm giving myself 4 weeks. But that's moving two states away with a family. Kids need time to adjust. If it was just me, a week or two would be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm just moving 5 hours north, staying in the same state. My current lease ends on 7/31 and my new one starts on 8/1. Gives me two weeks to get moved and settled before orientation starts mid August. Seems to work out nicely!

It is nice to have a few days to set up electricity, internet, water, garbage, etc. I had less than a week, and it was a hassle, but I got off a wait list so I was just thankful to find a place. This year we are moving in the month before so we can relax.