What's wrong with this advertisement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gregory Gulick

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The following advertisement can be found on page 78 of the most recent edition of THE DO (March 1999). Does anything in this ad strike you as unusual?

THE PHILADELPHIA COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE is an independently run medical school. Our Department of Biochemistry/Molecular Biology invites applications for one position at the level of FACULTY. (Instructor, Assistant, or Full Professor). Applicants must have a Ph.D. or M.D. degree. Level of position commensurate with postdoctoral experience and demonstrated ability to obtain support for productive research. The successful applicant must have a commitment to excellence in research as well as in teaching medical and graduate students. Background in molecular biology with research interest in connective tissue diseases or nutrition will be given special attention....

(And then it gives the contact, Eugene Mochan, Ph.D., D.O.)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it says applicants must have an MD or PhD. Where's the DO? My God, now the DO schools are discriminating against DOs!
wink.gif
Just kidding. It was probably forgotten to put DO in there because it was assumed, but it looks bad.

I understand your irritation, but I may know why it was written this way.
If I'm correct, it has nothing to do with discrimination, but with training.
Unfortunately, at least at my school, the curriculum does not include any
courses in research protocols, epidemiology (we were taught basic epi
terminology but it was very cursory), stats, etc. (which many MD schools
do have). You have to remember there are only so many hours in each day.
After packing in all the courses you'll need to be a good clinician there's
not much time left over. My friends in MD school have said some of their
time is spend with the aforementioned topics, while we spend the time learning
OMM. It's a trade off...you can't do it all. From what I've seen, this is
the primary difference between MD and DO schools. I'm not saying DOs can't
be good researchers, but if you're interested in research you should do one of
the following: get an MPH/MS in epidemiology/biostats, get a DO/PhD, or spend
time with established researches (we are allowed 2 research rotations).

[This message has been edited by Deb (edited April 17, 1999).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems clear to me that they want to start moving towards research.

I have heard a buzz around the DO community that this is a direction many schools are starting to take.

The founder must be turning in his grave!

this is very odd--when i studied with dr. mochan, he always tried to impress on us the "benefits" of the DO approach to medicine. However, PCOM does have a reputation around philly for being an MD wanna be school.

Reading the ad, I think they don't want D.O.'s is because they need someone who can obtain research money. The NIH almost never gives money to D.O.'s.

Hey spunkydoc, watch it with the MD wannabe stuff! I'll let it go this time.
Anyway, it's rumored that Dr. Mochan is the only osteopathic physician in the country to also have a Ph.D. in biochem. (I did say rumored, don't crucify me on that.) He advocates benefits of the DO approach but it seems that his heart is more into research. I can't say why he didn't include DO in the advertisement, it could well have just been a mistake, but if it wasn't, I'm not all that surprised. However, this is not the norm at PCOM.
A side note for anyone that cares. Research is something that schools use to raise their profile. It attracts money and better instructors. It may not seem to gel with the osteopathic philosophy all of the time, but it's good business and it keeps us students from paying even more ridiculous amounts for our tuitions.

------------------
Phil E. COM 02

To clarify my last post. I did not mean to imply that Dr. Mochan is not a dedicated clinician. I hope it doesn't come off that way. My point is that the type of research he is involved with and that particular position may be better suited for someone who has more experience with research in the basic sciences and research methods. As Deb pointed out in her post of a few weeks ago (4-17), osteopathic training does not include a lot of research. (Hey, you can't be the best at everything!)
Sorry for the vagueness of the post. Too much studyin' I think.