What's the point of pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeDude123

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
So the other day, I ran into a former high school classmate who became a pharmacist (Was picking up azithromycin and something else for an infection). She looked pretty depressed and tired. We talked a little bit before I left. So she went to undergrad and took a bunch of pre-med courses. Took the PCAT and then went to pharmacy school.

Now, I always thought pharmacists were making 300+k considering they have to attend graduate school and take out 150+k in loans. When I checked the salary surveys, it seems like pharmacists only make 120k. That didn't sound right, so I kept looking, but every survey returned the same results.

I slacked off in high school (Almost failed due to the amount of days I cut) but got into a decent university with a high SAT score (I believe I scored a 2290. Didn't get into an ivy league, but the college consistently ranks in top 20 in USNEWS rankings). I fooled around in college (Partying, sleeping around, sleeping in, etc.). Got a job immediately after graduation for 70k starting. My job is easy, so promotions came in every couple years and now I make 120k at age 28.

My story isn't atypical. There are so many people going into banking, finance, insurance, fintech, tech, government, and anything else and they're making 120+k in their 20s. They all only have bachelor's. I'm one of the unlucky ones, because I had such a poor work ethic in school. If I had the work ethic you pharmacists had, I would be a banker pulling in 300+k.

While my former classmates who went in pharmacy were busy paying down their loans, people like me who started working early bought houses and invested in TSLA call options + bitcoin last year and are now multi-millionaires. People who went into pharmacy are stuck making 120k with almost no possibility to moving up. They missed a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity last year and are still paying down their loans. At this point, I can stop working and none of my pharmacist peers would ever catch up to my net worth.

So here's my question. Why would anyone become a pharmacist?
You work hard for 4 years in college while people like me were partying and taking easy classes. Then you study for the PCAT. Then you work hard in graduate school. You're deferring working for 4 years, you take out 150+k in loans, and to top it off, your income isn't even that good. What is it about this field that makes you want to stay? I don't get it.

Edit: Just had my performance review this morning. I'm getting another raise to 145k. LOL...
Apologies if this sounds like a rant, but I have a lot of personal issues with some pharmacists. Back in high school, I was dubbed an underachieving loser who would amount to nothing in his life. All the cool, smart kids went into pharmacy. I graduated bottom of the class (Though I got the highest SAT score and got accepted into the best college in my class year). It always amuses me seeing the reactions of some of my former classmates when I tell them what I'm doing now and how I bought a house in a nice neighborhood. I can see the envy in their eyes.
Yes, I know this sounds extremely petty and immature, but if you went through the same crap I went through in high school, you would feel the same.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Look - pharmacy just is.... and so are we.... for a little while..

As for you - I do not buy what your selling. It stinks like a bag of s***. Take your pretend Tesla shares and take a hike.

Reactions: 3 users
Look - pharmacy just is.... and so are we.... for a little while..

As for you - I do not buy what your selling. It stinks like a bag of s***. Take your pretend Tesla shares and take a hike.

lol... Last year was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Tesla's dominance in the auto market was super clear, and you could've made a large fortune by buying TSLA leaps when its premiums for 2X spot price strike price was only a penny. You sound like someone who missed making life-changing fortune last year and are bitter.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
lol... Last year was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Tesla's dominance in the auto market was super clear, and you could've made a large fortune by buying TSLA leaps when its premiums for 2X spot price strike price was only a penny. You sound like someone who missed making life-changing fortune last year and are bitter.

that’s great dude - too bad you missed it. Dreams can come true, maybe next time....

You ain’t gotta lie to kick it. In all reality - I go theta tokens. Tesla is child’s play for me. You sound cute though.

that’s great dude - too bad you missed it. Dreams can come true, maybe next time....

You ain’t gotta lie to kick it. In all reality - I go theta tokens. Tesla is child’s play for me. You sound cute though.

lol... You're actually recommending ****coins? No thanks. I already bought loads of bitcoin last March. ****coins are just dumb. One of the main properties of bitcoin is its supply cap of 21 million. If ****coins can also be good investments, you're essentially arguing that things of infinite/high supply can have great value. It makes no economic sense.

lol... You're actually recommending ****coins? No thanks. I already bought loads of bitcoin last March. ****coins are just dumb. One of the main properties of bitcoin is its supply cap of 21 million. If ****coins can also be good investments, you're essentially arguing that things of infinite/high supply can have great value. It makes no economic sense.

Again - you ain’t gotta lie to kick it...

Doesn't matter if you believe me or not. This thread is about why pharmacy over other easier fields?

The thread actually looks to be an excuse for self-gratification and reads like it was written by an incel from reddit.

The fact that you act like this because of "high school", despite it being about 10 years ago, just goes to show how little you've grown that you feel the need to post something like this.

Reactions: 7 users
It feels like a troll post. The average and median salary in the US is nowhere near 120k, so these stories can't be all that common, though I'm sure it does happen. You also have to factor in cost of living in your assessment.

Reactions: 3 users
It’s an obvious troll post

LOL - were you personally victimized by Regina George?

Bro, why do you care if someone is a pharmacist? Being a pharmacist puts you in the top 10% of income earners in the USA.

So the other day, I ran into a former high school classmate who became a pharmacist (Was picking up azithromycin and something else for an infection). She looked pretty depressed and tired. We talked a little bit before I left. So she went to undergrad and took a bunch of pre-med courses. Took the PCAT and then went to pharmacy school.
My thoughts immediately: "1 gram slam + cefixime?"

Been at this too long.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
1g azithromycin + Doxy BID x10 days and gluteal IM.
Cefixime is what the resident MDs self-prescribe when they don't want to contact their PCP for the IM injection...yeah, I've seen that.:rolleyes:

The thread actually looks to be an excuse for self-gratification and reads like it was written by an incel from reddit.

The fact that you act like this because of "high school", despite it being about 10 years ago, just goes to show how little you've grown that you feel the need to post something like this.

There has to be an easier way to self-gratify.

• Haha
Someone please close this shi*

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.