What's the going rate for private/home school teachers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Our quarantine pod is doing a time-share on a private teacher, but I'm kind of worried we're getting the "doctor tax." The leading applicant is a 26-year-old Swiss and EU, licensed educator, stand-up paddleboard instructor. She wants $55 per hour, benefits, and workers comp indemnification if she gets sick. Yes, she'll take the kids out for socially distanced SUP-ing if we want...

Go or No-Go?

1597851959390.png

Members don't see this ad.

Our quarantine pod is doing a time-share on a private teacher, but I'm kind of worried we're getting the "doctor tax." The leading applicant is a 26-year-old Swiss and EU, licensed educator, stand-up paddleboard instructor. She wants $55 per hour, benefits, and workers comp indemnification if she gets sick. Yes, she'll take the kids out for socially distanced SUP-ing if we want...

Go or No-Go?

View attachment 316359

get me a better pic, and ill tell you if she is worth it. right now, she could either be elle mcpherson or the girl from the ring.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
but, 55 bucks is a steal. finding anyone to tutor/teach is pretty tough right now. i dont know how many hours you are talking about, but i wouldnt hesitate at that rate

Suckas! We got 2. Kindergarten teacher x5 years experience, and a former elementary teacher who left to homeschool her kids, the last of whom just graduated, an old school piano teacher type. Both $20/hr. Tutor arbitrage is real. It helps that new full time teachers make less than 40k/year in our state.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there an Uber version of hailing a tutor?

My hesitation with this woman is all the benefits. This should be a contract position.

Suckas! We got 2. Kindergarten teacher x5 years experience, and a former elementary teacher who left to homeschool her kids, the last of whom just graduated, an old school piano teacher type. Both $20/hr. Tutor arbitrage is real. It helps that new full time teachers make less than 40k/year in our state.

tutors MAY be easier to find(and be cheaper) in cowtown than on the coasts. i hear neighbors considering up to 100/hr

I'm also considering having our daughter work in the clinic in the afternoons. She can help with parking lot triage and the drive-thru window.

There are online academies that are fully staffed with licensed teachers (each specializing in individual disciplines) with live classrooms, tutoring, the whole nine yards...it can be as academically rigorous as you need it to be. The one I’m considering for my kids is of the Christian variety..it’s $199 per MONTH per kid. I definitely think you’re overspending to get a service of no greater quality, but perhaps with the benefit of only slightly less screen time. But, yeah, with so many high-quality online academies available, I see no disservice to your children in simply hiring a cheap babysitter who can oversee their enrollment in one such program (I assume they aren’t of an age that they can stay home alone and/or your spouse also works outside the home). My answer is also under the assumption that the motive isn’t having a private tutor as a status symbol of sorts.

Last edited:
I saw a study once about how kids do better the more they hang around with adults. The whole notion of immature kids hanging out with other immature kids is like the blind leading the blind. It doesn't teach them how to socialize or work with mature adults.

Cheap babysitter doesn’t necessarily reference age, fwiw. It simply refers to someone not licensed as a teacher. It could even be a grandparent.

big difference between having a live person interacting with and teaching your kids, and signing up for a 200 buck/month really long movie

I saw a study once about how kids do better the more they hang around with adults. The whole notion of immature kids hanging out with other immature kids is like the blind leading the blind. It doesn't teach them how to socialize or work with mature adults.

id love to said study. it makes sense for academic achievement. harder to prove all the social stuff.

again, not to sound preachy, but unless you have 3 kids jumping on your face and hiding food in your couch for 12 hours a day, you don't know the importance of surrounding the kids with other kids who can match their energy level

Reactions: 2 users
That seems like a lot but she'll probably find someone willing to pay up

I'm also considering having our daughter work in the clinic in the afternoons. She can help with parking lot triage and the drive-thru window.

You have a drive-thru window? Please tell me it’s so the passenger can roll by with his butt out the window as you administer injections and a side of fries.

big difference between having a live person interacting with and teaching your kids, and signing up for a 200 buck/month really long movie

You’re depicting online academies in a certain light without really knowing what you’re talking about.... that’s clear from your reply.

Private schools are our preference.... rigorous academics, social interaction, reinforcement of our Christian teachings, no kids having sex in the bathrooms (or classrooms), no masks except in hallways. Only moving to online academy should kids be sent home again. Not self-quarantining for a virus with a nearly zero fatality rate in kids. No convincing me that a Swiss paddleboarder can move your kids ahead academically and socially any better than a highly structured, well-executed online academy program with multiple licensed teachers... spending more $$ doesnt necessarily get you a better outcome even if it feels more luxurious. But for those that can afford it, I’m sure it’s a very fine albeit expensive option. No blanket statements/recommendations from me either way.... depends on many factors particularly age and development of child/ren in question, goals, support systems, special needs/learning challenges, natural proclivities, etc

Last edited:
Private schools are our preference.... rigorous academics, social interaction, reinforcement of our Christian teachings, no kids having sex in the bathrooms (or classrooms), no masks except in hallways. Only moving to online academy should kids be sent home again. Not self-quarantining for a virus with a nearly zero fatality rate in kids. No convincing me that a Swiss paddleboarder can move your kids ahead academically and socially any better than a highly structured, well-executed online academy program with multiple licensed teachers... spending more $$ doesnt necessarily get you a better outcome even if it feels more luxurious. But for those that can afford it, I’m sure it’s a very fine albeit expensive option. No blanket statements/recommendations from me either way.... depends on many factors particularly age and development of child/ren in question, goals, support systems, special needs/learning challenges, natural proclivities, etc
If you can get my second grader to sit an pay attention to an online academy, ill pay YOU 200 bucks an hour.

Its not that particular program per se, its online learning in general which i feel is not as effective as in person.

If you can get my second grader to sit an pay attention to an online academy, ill pay YOU 200 bucks an hour.

Its not that particular program per se, its online learning in general which i feel is not as effective as in person.

Agree... definitely age-dependent. Minimizing screen time is something I remain cognizant of too. I do believe, too, that there is data which shows favorability for learners thru printed text over electronic screens.

Agree... definitely age-dependent. Minimizing screen time is something I remain cognizant of too. I do believe, too, that there is data which shows favorability for learners thru printed text over electronic screens.
We went thru 3 reams of paper last spring.

Need that vaccine