What's more competitive? Ortho or Neurosurgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simba699

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked in the past but times have changed.

Formerly, it appeared Ortho was tougher because of the better lifestyle, shorter residency, simpler cases, better outcomes, and similar money.

It seems now that Neurosurgery has become tougher. Anyone know why?

I see in the recent NRMP data that very few DOs/IMGs matched Neurosurgery compared to Ortho. Obviously very few in Ortho too, but for example 0 US IMG matched NSGY while 10 matched Ortho. Secondly, Neurosurgery apparently requires much more research (is this true?). NSGY also filled 100% of slots. While Ortho has a point or two step 1 advantage, this doesn't mean anything.

Would it be fair to say Ortho leans more toward numbers, grades, interview skills and NSGY leans more toward research and prestige of school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suspect somehow you placed this in ortho, so you didn’t get much traffic. Move it to gen residency, you’ll get more info.

I am neither ortho nor nsx. But the trajectory of two specialities are very different. Cases are different. I know there are some ortho spine, but they’re no Neurosx. Personalities are different.

Spend time in each service to really do yourself justice, cannot/should not decide on info on paper alone.

Good luck.

As you IMG/FMG/DO? If you’re in any of those categories, of course it’s much harder.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I suspect somehow you placed this in ortho, so you didn’t get much traffic. Move it to gen residency, you’ll get more info.

I am neither ortho nor nsx. But the trajectory of two specialities are very different. Cases are different. I know there are some ortho spine, but they’re no Neurosx. Personalities are different.

Spend time in each service to really do yourself justice, cannot/should not decide on info on paper alone.

Good luck.

As you IMG/FMG/DO? If you’re in any of those categories, of course it’s much harder.
Thank you

Mods please delete this thread as I posted it in the wrong location.