Other OT-Related Information What to wear to an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karixel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask what would be considered good interview attire for getting into a program. I have dress pants (normal, not too fancy), a short sleeved blouse, and penny loafers. Is this okay or should I be more formal with a blazer or something? And I don't own a purse...only a leather crossbody bag. Is that too unprofessional?

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

At my interview, the students had business professional attire. Think as if you were giving a presentation, except you are the presentation.

CIV9qxb.png

At my interview, I saw everything from people in matching black suits and heels to a person wearing a basic sweater with a patterned scarf. The person wearing the sweater got in, but all but one of the suit wearers didn't! Sloppy, unprofessional, or ill-fitting clothes will give a bad impression, but a a fancy outfit is not going to put your application on the top of the pile, either.

As for me, I wore brown loafers, slacks, a short sleeved blouse, and a brown blazer. I carried a leather folio instead of a purse.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
For my interview, mostly everyone wore black. All the girls has on a black blazer and black dress pants. The guys all wore a dress shirt with a jacket. I just wore black dress pants, a light pink dress shirt, and carried a leather folio. I was the only one who didn't wear all black, but it didn't really matter because I got in. As long as you are in a somewhat business to business casual outfit.

The less you bring the better in my opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, everyone. Hopefully I'll find a blazer to buy today to go along with my blouse.