what to memorize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poiu86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To what extent are you guys memorizing the solubility rules (i.e. are you memorizing ALL the exception or just the basics...)?

and also, I remember hearing somewhere that E2 vs E1 is no longer being tested. Is there any consensus on whether or not this is for sure?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

better safe than sorry...not sure about E1 and E2 but I know alkenes are no longer tested (whatever that means). That being said, it should take roughly 1-2 hours to memorize both of these things at the VERY MOST. Why not just do it? Unless of course someone can confirm that these are absolutely not required to memorize that is =). As far as E1 and E2, if nothing else they improve your understanding of organic chemistry/why certain things happen.

solubility rules are an absolute must (unless they made a change to the test). i used to know them forward and backward.

solubility rules are an absolute must (unless they made a change to the test). i used to know them forward and backward.

They are...what's kind of annoying is that they are slightly different from TPR to Kaplan. They don't contradict each other persay, but there are some given in kaplan that aren't given in TPR and vice versa.

I learned them all. It allowed me to ace a solubility passage that I got. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
solubility rules? like which compounds are soluble in water and which are insoluble? those rules?

yeah...solubility rules tell you which salts are soluble in water.
tpr tries to "simplify" it by giving you the ones that show up more often. but, their rules arent enough to answer all the solubility questions i've seen. so, im memorizing all

Yeah, whats one more set of rules to commit to memory. I can't wait for April 18th to be over... :)