What to do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sniglet

Registered ConfUser
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi... I will admit that I do not understand some of the posts on the podiatry forum.. i am assuming that there are a group of people that know each other and have inside discussion on here that i cant follow... but... i have some questions for you guys..

i just sent my pod application in last week and i already have an interview at Barry and at Cali.... Podiatry is a new direction for me and I was excited... but I was reading over on another student forum that was very very very negative about podiatry..

my uncle is a pod and he told me yesterday that he pays new hires 40-50 K plus 40% of the intake which comes out to over 100 a year. Then I read horror stories from other people. I am concerned because I am about to invest a ton of time and money and I want to be able to pay off these loans. I am a bit scared after reading all that stuff.

By the way... Barry and the Cali school.. are they good? Is it true you find out the same day if you got in? Just trying to figure out the logistics of it all. Can you defer for a year after you gain acceptance??

I am a bit lost and over my head all of a sudden.. I didnt think things would roll this fast. HELP

Members don't see this ad.

Indeed there are many negative things said about podiatry...as there are about every single profession out there. There will always be someone who thinks that they are better than you, that their degree is more prestigous, etc..., but the fact is that podiatry is a great profession if and only if you want to do the work. If you are excited and motivated and do not hate feet, then you can and likely will do very well. Every DPM I know is extremely happy and successful - but naturally, there are plenty others out there that are not happy. So, only go into it if it is what you want to do. It pays very well and everyone I know has been able to pay off their loans with ease, so dont spend time worrying about that.

As for the schools - I don't know much of anything about Barry, but I interviewed at the school in CA. It was initially my first choice as I have family in northern CA and I love it out there. However, I currently own a 4 bedroom home and could not stand the idea of going back to renting a small one bedroom with no garage...as cost of living in SF is crazy! I also did not want to deal with the bay area traffic - it adds so much extra time to your day if you go anywhere and that is stressful to me. I did not like that half of the time would be spent in Oakland and the other half would be in SF - so that meant either moving after 2 years, or commuting a lot...or both. I also did not like that they told all of us who were there interviewing the same day that we all got in. It made it feel very much like a joke and not very serious or special - especially since one of the guys that interviewed with me was a total idiot:)

However, all that said, I really really loved the students and faculty that I met there. The students were all very happy and could not have been more positive about the school - and these were students that we just ran into, not just the ones that showed us around. They were all enthusiastic, more so than some of the other schools, and clearly very intelligent and driven. I also know that some of their faculty members are the best around - and that was obvious when I met and spoke with them. The curriculum is absolutely solid and they are very focused on continuing to improve the school. The facilities are not the best, but keep in mind how expensive land is in that area....it would be near impossible for them to totally rebuild the school and expand,etc.. It is a pretty amazing city to live in and for some people, that is enough to make the decision an easy one. So, overall, I liked the school and it was one of the top on my list, but not a perfect fit for me.

I chose AZPOD because it was best for me and my family. I am able to buy a house there comparable to what I currently have, which just makes me comfortable. I love the area and I love the open feeling it has. I loved the campus and the facilities as they are all new and clean. Most of all though, I personally felt like it was the best school out there. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and should go where they best fit, and AZPOD was it for me. They are so dedicated to their program and to the future of pod education. I just loved it there.

So, good luck - apply and interview where you want and be sure to make your own decision...its good to listen to what people say about the programs and schools, profession,etc...but in the end, it is about your future, so you need to do what is best for you. Have fun, its an exciting process!

Sniglet said:
Hi... I will admit that I do not understand some of the posts on the podiatry forum.. i am assuming that there are a group of people that know each other and have inside discussion on here that i cant follow... but... i have some questions for you guys..

i just sent my pod application in last week and i already have an interview at Barry and at Cali.... Podiatry is a new direction for me and I was excited... but I was reading over on another student forum that was very very very negative about podiatry..

my uncle is a pod and he told me yesterday that he pays new hires 40-50 K plus 40% of the intake which comes out to over 100 a year. Then I read horror stories from other people. I am concerned because I am about to invest a ton of time and money and I want to be able to pay off these loans. I am a bit scared after reading all that stuff.

By the way... Barry and the Cali school.. are they good? Is it true you find out the same day if you got in? Just trying to figure out the logistics of it all. Can you defer for a year after you gain acceptance??

I am a bit lost and over my head all of a sudden.. I didnt think things would roll this fast. HELP

Every profession has it's failures. Podiatry is no different. I have never personally met one of these people. However, I have met a ton of podiatric physicians that are very happy with the profession. If you are a motivated, hard worker, you will do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was the forum called "the podiatry forum"? Its hard to look at pods from 20-30 years ago and get a good feel of the profession. Its changing drastically all in positive ways. One change is standardized residency training. Just do what you would like to do. Dont get pressured in or get pressured out. Decide what would make you happy.

yes.. it was... network 54.... that place is hellacious