What to do-August 26 MCAT tester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okcomputerha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a reapplicant who will be taking the MCAT the last possible date in August (26th). Previous MCAT (9,9,9) 27, 3.7 GPA and lots of extracurriculars. I have a good 2 years of solid clinical research with 2 co-authorships, 1 abstract published, and worked on about 3 NIH funded Clinical research studies.

I was waitlisted at 3 schools the first time I applied, and was also mostly because I applied late (and my low MCAT). I know I will be late again (I've sorta backed myself into a corner by deciding to apply last minute), but I have been scoring in the mid 30s on my practice tests, so I'm more confident of the score.

My question is how should I proceed with my application this cycle? I know I can check off that I'm retaking the MCAT, but will that stop me from receiveing secondaries from other schools? I'm not a NY resident but an east coaster and would like to go ideally to a nyc school. What are my chances?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Which state are you a resident of? Naturally, you won't get into any of the NYC schools with a 27.

Your decision to apply last minute to start in 2009 was not a wise one. If your MCAT scores are in the same range as your practice tests and you apply on time next year, you have a good chance at some excellent schools.

How old are you? You might want to wait, if you're interested in going to a higher tier school. Those schools do have advantages and you maybe frustrated if you score a 33+ (with all your other achievements) and end up at a mid-level school.

By reapplying late (AGAIN), you make yourself look bad. I'm not saying you applied late b/c you're poorly organized, lazy, etc. (you may have faced extenuating circumstances), but it definitely doesn't look good. You have potential to get into some great schools. If you wait until the 2010 cycle, you'll have more than one shot to get your MCAT scores up and your applications won't be so hectic.

You might get in somewhere this year, but you're at a huge disadvantage as your August scores won't be out until late Sept/early Oct.

umm...why don't you just take the mcat earlier...ppl start cancelling their mcats right before the test date. you can probably sneak into one i'm betting. there's one in mid june and a few in early july

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't want to wait another year to reapply, simply because I am really, really interested in going back to school (I am 24 years old). As interesting as my time in the research world has been, I am very anxious get back to school to begin really learning about the mechanisms that I only know about superficially. I am not that dead set on a higher tier school...but one with research opportunties would be a dream. I am a NJ resident...hypothetically, would I be too late for RWJ?

I was thinking about taking it earlier, except there is always the fear that a retake score could be less than the first score, and I just want to be absolutely sure the improvement in my practice test scores is genuine.

I will look into july though...hopefully they haven't closed up yet. Thanks.