What to classify courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edgydoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 2 courses that I'm a little unsure what to classify as. One is simply called honors seminar, which was taught by a Pharmacist and was essentially a pass/fail "introduction to pharmacology" class. I classified it as Health Sciences, but should I simply put it as other since the official description of the course is "Incoming first-year honors students will have the opportunity to work with senior faculty members in one of the honors seminars offered each semester. Honors College students will get a sense of the research being pursued by faculty in a variety of fields ranging from medicine to the arts."

The second course is Biology Careers Seminar, which was an hour long class that met once a week and each class a new professional in the biology field would come in to talk to us (ie. botanist, doctor, etc). I currently have it listed as Biology since the course number is literally "BIOL 4xxx", but should this also go as other?

This may seem neurotic, but I don't want my primary to be held up by something as small as this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are correct. You are supposed to go by the content, not the department label. They both sound like Other to me.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Asking for clarification on 3 additional courses; I plan to submit my primary today and I am going over it again and wanted to clarify these 3 courses as well.

1st course is titled Microbiology & Public Health and is described as: "An introduction to infectious disease agents of significance in individual and community health settings. The characteristics, symptoms, diagnosis, control, and treatment of infectious diseases will be considered."

2nd course is titled Infectious Disease & Society and is described as: "A consideration of the role played by infectious diseases in shaping civilization and society. The focus will be on HIV/AIDS, but sexually transmitted infections such as syphilis, gonorrhea, genital herpes, and genital warts will be discussed as well. HIV/AIDS will also be compared with other infectious diseases of historical importance including the Black Death, leprosy, smallpox, tuberculosis, influenza, and poliomyelitis."

3rd course is titled Hormones & Behavior and is described as: "Interaction of nervous and endocrine systems in the control of animal behavior, including humans, with emphasis on the mechanisms that adapt behavior to the changing physical and social environments."

Currently, I have all listed as Biology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Asking for clarification on 3 additional courses; I plan to submit my primary today and I am going over it again and wanted to clarify these 3 courses as well.

1st course is titled Microbiology & Public Health and is described as: "An introduction to infectious disease agents of significance in individual and community health settings. The characteristics, symptoms, diagnosis, control, and treatment of infectious diseases will be considered."

2nd course is titled Infectious Disease & Society and is described as: "A consideration of the role played by infectious diseases in shaping civilization and society. The focus will be on HIV/AIDS, but sexually transmitted infections such as syphilis, gonorrhea, genital herpes, and genital warts will be discussed as well. HIV/AIDS will also be compared with other infectious diseases of historical importance including the Black Death, leprosy, smallpox, tuberculosis, influenza, and poliomyelitis."

3rd course is titled Hormones & Behavior and is described as: "Interaction of nervous and endocrine systems in the control of animal behavior, including humans, with emphasis on the mechanisms that adapt behavior to the changing physical and social environments."

@KnightDoc

I agree with you. It's reasonable, even if AMCAS doesn't agree, so I'd go with it and let them change anything they think is misclassified.