What sort of volunteering is this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yoge

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am a new member of SDN and have lurked the pre-med forums for a while, just browsing. Anyway, I did some looking around and could not find an answer to my question anywhere. I am currently volunteering at a simulation center at my local teaching hospital where I do a number of things such as help out with different simulation scenarios that involve a variety of residents practicing on dummy patients with vitals, setting up for cadaver labs, and setting up different workshops (eg: pelvic exams, airway workshops, IV placing, etc). I was just curious what sort of volunteering this would be classified as, I was thinking clinical, but am not sure what to put it as. They have taught me a number of skills such as intubation, how to place IVs, and some orthopedic residents even let me do joint injections on a cadaver! Any answers will help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd call it clinical, because you are presumably working under a physician's supervision and you are learning clinical skills.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm, while you are in a clinic and you are volunteering, I feel this lacks interaction with living patients that is somewhat implied by clinical volunteering.

Gonna go ahead and pull this move for ya: @gonnif @Goro @LizzyM

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a teaching volunteer modality; it's not clinical volunteering.

So, volunteering, non-clinical.

Hello everyone,
I am a new member of SDN and have lurked the pre-med forums for a while, just browsing. Anyway, I did some looking around and could not find an answer to my question anywhere. I am currently volunteering at a simulation center at my local teaching hospital where I do a number of things such as help out with different simulation scenarios that involve a variety of residents practicing on dummy patients with vitals, setting up for cadaver labs, and setting up different workshops (eg: pelvic exams, airway workshops, IV placing, etc). I was just curious what sort of volunteering this would be classified as, I was thinking clinical, but am not sure what to put it as. They have taught me a number of skills such as intubation, how to place IVs, and some orthopedic residents even let me do joint injections on a cadaver! Any answers will help!

I concur... volunteer, non-clinical. I say that because there are no patients. None. There are no patients and by my reckoning a clinical experience requires that you be close to patients.

We aren't going to be very impressed that you've learned some clinical skills. Medical schools teach those. Focus on learning teamwork and a better understanding of the life-long learning that is required of a physician (e.g. even after graduating medical school, people are still going to the sim lab to hone their skills).

Thank you for all the answers!