QR: 340
RC: 310
Bio: 270
GChem: 340
OChem: 300
PHysics: 320
TS: 310
AA: 310

I am a senior and majoring in Biochemistry. I did bad in my biology class also even after retaking it (C+) so I don't know if I should retake the OAT or not. I really want to go to Western U if possible. I also don't mind any other CA ones. Do you guys think I should retake the OAT as I am trying hard to bring up my GPA also.

Members don't see this ad.

My GPA is similar to yours and my OAT scores were 340 TS, 340AA. I'm a biology major so I've had several different biology courses throughout my undergrad, but there was one that I did get a C+ in and I was accepted into WesternU and ICO regardless (and had other interview offers which I cancelled). I would definitely recommend studying hard and re-taking the OAT! :)

Are you applying for this cycle?

Also, what were you struggling with the most for the biology section? If your biology marks are low, it would probably be a good idea to offset that with a good score on the biology section of the OAT. Maybe a tutor or different study materials and methods?

Thanks a lot for your advice : )
Yeah I think I am going to retake it. Now I just have to figure out when because I am currently in school.

I am actually applying for next year's cycle!! I really want to get into WesternU so I don't know if have a chance or not.

For the application, I know that there is a centralized one but do you know if we have to fill out a secondary application from each school or not?

I think if you bring your OATs up and get some good optometry shadowing experience, you should get an interview! And as long as you interview well (their interview day was very friendly and relaxed), you most likely have a good chance! WesternU is one of the newer schools, so I feel like they are a little more lenient with their admissions right now than some of the older schools.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your advice : )
Yeah I think I am going to retake it. Now I just have to figure out when because I am currently in school.

I am actually applying for next year's cycle!! I really want to get into WesternU so I don't know if have a chance or not.

For the application, I know that there is a centralized one but do you know if we have to fill out a secondary application from each school or not?

In terms of figuring out when you are going re-write the OAT...will you be taking any courses during the summer? If not, I would recommend doing it then. That way you can commit a decent amount of time to studying for it. I studied for a couple of months in the summer and then wrote it in July. Also, the sooner you get it done and over with, the more time you can spend focussing on your applications. And try to apply as early in the cycle as possible!

Most schools do have supplemental applications, but they vary on how extensive they are. For the schools I applied to:

-WesternU: A few essays/write-ups. I think I ended up writing three essays for that one. You also have to fill out a coursesheet for pre-requisite classes.
-ICO: Just a basic form to fill out, as well as a pre-requisite coursesheet. However, you cannot access the application right away, they only send it to applicants after an initial review of your submitted OptomCAS application.
-Pacific: 2-3 essays, as well as calculating the GPA for your last 45 credits
-PCO (Salus): no supplemental
-University of Houston: just a form to fill out

Last edited: