What schools should I add? - cGPA: 3.78, sGPA:3.65, MCAT:511

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ABay

Reaction score
Year in school: Graduated December 2017
Graduate degrees: B.S. Biological Sciences from a public state school
Country/state of residence: Arizona
URM (y/n): N, white

Cumulative GPA: 3.78
Science GPA: 3.65
Cumulative GPA Trend: 3.86--3.28--4.0--3.85
MCAT Scores: 501 --> 511 (127,126,130,128)

Schools to which you are applying:

Arizona-Tuscon, Arizona-PHX, Loma Linda, Rosalind Franklin, Wayne State, Toledo, Creighton, Loyola Stritch, Oakland-Beaumont, Quinnipiac University, Drexel, George Washington, Medical College Wisconsin, Virginia Commonwealth, Albany, Rush, Wake Forest , Vermont, Temple-Katz, Colorado, Georgetown, Miami-Miller, Iowa, East Virginia, Jefferson, Tufts, Emory, Ohio State

Research: 150 Hours in an Ochem lab under a PhD student and the PI. Mostly ran synthesis, eventually had my own responsibilities of designing a synthesis and running it for use in other sections of the lab. For one year. ~500 hours at the Mayo clinic under an internationally recognized PI. Started as a volunteer and became part-time and now full time research assistant, ~2500 hours. Have been a co-author on 3 posters at national conferences (fifth author) and am a co-author on a manuscript that was just submitted (doesn't count but can talk about it, fifth author) as well as another co-author on a submitted conference abstract (second author). Over almost two years. I also work with the neurosurgery team in the clinic consenting and tracking patients for a study.

Physician shadowing: 130 hours as an undergraduate intern at a nephrology surgery center. Worked with 3 nephrologists. 75 hours at the Mayo Clinic observing neurosurgery, rounds, and tumor board conferences. All in all, I've observed probably 5 neurosurgeons over 6 months.

Volunteering (clinical): 50 hours as a hospice companion, over about a year. 130 hours as an undergraduate intern at a nephrology surgery center.

Volunteering (non-clinical):~300 hours as a mission trip leader/foreman. Led high school students to build homes in Mexico for four years. 480 hours as a summer camp leader/mentor over four years. 470 hours as a high-school youth group leader for my local church over four years.

Teaching/Mentoring: 100 hours as a personal tutor for an 8-9th grader in sciences for almost two years now. 450 hours as an organic chemistry TA for one year.

Extracurricular activities: Two year NCAA college athlete, baseball. Also an avid snowboarder and have traveled the country doing it.

Paid Employment: 700 hours as a youth sports coach just under a year.

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): N, I am a first-gen college student.
Specialty of interest: Neurology, Radiology, EM, Global health

I really appreciate any help and or advice anyone can offer, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@Goro and @Faha perhaps you have thoughts? Looking to have the most competitive list I can. Willing to apply to 35 ish schools.
I’m considering adding : NOVA MD, Einstein, St. Louis, Dartmouth, Penn State, Seton Hall, Rochester.

Toledo and Ohio State accept few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Western Michigan
Penn State
St. Louis

Members don't see this ad :)
List is fine!! Delete OH State, U IA, and U CO. Add U VM.

Delete Loma Linda unless. You're SDA.

35 schoo is overkill, I recommend 20 to 30. You should have some DO schools on the list. Start with AZCOM and Western.

Toledo and Ohio State accept few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Western Michigan
Penn State
St. Louis
Thank you. I do have family in Ohio and my father was born and raised in Akron, OH. With a 511 being 25% for OOS at Ohio State, and with my solid research experience is it not worth an app still?

Also, is Einstein or Rochester too much of a reach? I do love the idea of living in NY, but I'm not set on applying if the odds are stacked against me heavily there.

List is fine!! Delete OH State, U IA, and U CO. Add U VM.

Delete Loma Linda unless. You're SDA.

35 schoo is overkill, I recommend 20 to 30. You should have some DO schools on the list. Start with AZCOM and Western.
Thank you. Would you still say OH State isn't worth an app with my research background and some family ties in the state? It is my dream school, but I do want to be realistic.
Also, been debating on an app to Tulane. With my stats and an early secondary sub is it a good add?

Thank you. Would you still say OH State isn't worth an app with my research background and some family ties in the state? It is my dream school, but I do want to be realistic.
Also, been debating on an app to Tulane. With my stats and an early secondary sub is it a good add?
No, it's the 2x MCAT attempts, and you have to be > avg for OOS MD school's, which favor the home team.

Thank you. I do have family in Ohio and my father was born and raised in Akron, OH. With a 511 being 25% for OOS at Ohio State, and with my solid research experience is it not worth an app still?

Also, is Einstein or Rochester too much of a reach? I do love the idea of living in NY, but I'm not set on applying if the odds are stacked against me heavily there.
Einstein and Rochester are reaches. If you attended Ohio State as an undergraduate or one of your parents attended Ohio State of you are URM it would be worth applying there.

Einstein and Rochester are reaches. If you attended Ohio State as an undergraduate or one of your parents attended Ohio State of you are URM it would be worth applying there.
Thank you, I appreciate your time!!
Out of DO's which would you say gives me the best chance at a competitive ACGME residency? I've browsed and realized it is hard to say as it is not very often you see this and depended on my own input, however, which give more opportunity to take advantage of opportunities that can lead to an ACGME residency? AZCOM and Western were already mentioned and have been added to my list.

Philadelphia COM
Rowan
Rocky Vista
Chicago COM
Nova DO

No, it's the 2x MCAT attempts, and you have to be > avg for OOS MD school's, which favor the home team.
Out of DO's which would you say gives me the best chance at a competitive ACGME residency? I've browsed and realized it is hard to say as it is not very often you see this and depended on my own input, however, which give more opportunity to take advantage of opportunities that can lead to an ACGME residency? AZCOM and Western were already mentioned and have been added to my list.

Philadelphia COM
Rowan
Rocky Vista
Chicago COM
Nova DO

Philadelphia COM
Rowan
Rocky Vista
Chicago COM
Nova DO
It's less the school than you.

Reactions: 1 user