What r my chances???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Babylo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i guess i am the first to truly post a "what r my chances" thread. Well i know there is less competition for Pod schools but i would like to know how i can increase my chances of admission. My grades are not good and i want to do some type of post-bacc or graduate program to be a better applicant. Do you advice getting like an mph or do Pod schools look at your undergraduate G.P.A like med/dental schools. I am taking the MCAT this August and i am shooting for like a 30 just to make up for my poor grades but i willl still like to spend some more time in school so i can become a better student. I would like to hear from anybody that has any form of advice, especially if you are already in POd school and you have an idea of how things work on d inside.

Members don't see this ad.

Babylo said:
Hi guys, i guess i am the first to truly post a "what r my chances" thread. Well i know there is less competition for Pod schools but i would like to know how i can increase my chances of admission. My grades are not good and i want to do some type of post-bacc or graduate program to be a better applicant. Do you advice getting like an mph or do Pod schools look at your undergraduate G.P.A like med/dental schools. I am taking the MCAT this August and i am shooting for like a 30 just to make up for my poor grades but i willl still like to spend some more time in school so i can become a better student. I would like to hear from anybody that has any form of advice, especially if you are already in POd school and you have an idea of how things work on d inside.

That depends on your grades. What are they?

Babylo said:

Hi, Babylo!

A great option for you, if you are truly interested in medicine, is the Masters of Biomedical Sciences at Midwestern University in Glendale, Arizona. The curriculum is almost the same as any medical school (allopathic, osteopathic, or podiatric). You might want to check it out. It is expensive but an excellent preparation for medical school. Go to www.midwestern.edu and see for yourself.

I know many people who are in the program and those who have been accepted to medical school from the program.

Good luck,

AZPOD Rocks

Members don't see this ad :)
Babylo said:

In addition to the AZPOD postbacc Masters program, Barry University also has a similar program, MS in Biomedical Sciences. You can learn more about this program at:
http://www.barry.edu/bms/default.asp
In that program, you will be taking some of the basic science courses. In these basic science courses, you will be sitting in the same class as the Barry Podiatric students.
Good Luck.

Babylo said:

Hey Babylo, I'll be fully honest with you. If your GPA is at minimum level for the pod schools i.e. around 3.0 and your MCATs are in the 20's range then you will most likely get accepted to at least one Podiatry school...But, i'll give you an advice based on what i've seen in my school at least...

our class in first year had quite a few students who did not have good marks in udergrad. No exceptions, they all struggled - it was very sad because they invested alot of money and they really tried their best (at least some of them), after the first year, some dropped out while others got kicked out!

i'm not telling you this to scare you off. I am asking you to be honest with yourself and make sure that you are ready to handle the curriculum because it is very heavy. For that, I strongly agree with the previous posters dpmgrad and AZPOD who adviced pursuing a masters program - this is a great idea because:

1) gives you a chance to improve your grades
2) gives you another option or route if you don't feel podiatry is right for you
3) prepares you for the basic scince years at podiatry school

Give it some thought and I wish you all the best in your endeavours...

How strict are the schools with their pre-req grade requirements? I've gotten brochures and been to the websites looking for information, and I saw that the Arizona school wants at least a C in all required pre-req courses. I'm doing a postbacc next year anyway, but I have C-'s in one orgo class and one physics. The rest of the classes are B/B-/C+ territory. Are they worth retaking or will the postbacc help out for admission? Thanks for any input!

phpodguy said:
How strict are the schools with their pre-req grade requirements? I've gotten brochures and been to the websites looking for information, and I saw that the Arizona school wants at least a C in all required pre-req courses. I'm doing a postbacc next year anyway, but I have C-'s in one orgo class and one physics. The rest of the classes are B/B-/C+ territory. Are they worth retaking or will the postbacc help out for admission? Thanks for any input!

At AZPOD, they require no worse than a C so a C- in a pre-requisite would not be sufficient. However, if a school requires 1 year of biology and you took 4 semester courses of biology. You can use any two for your pre-req. If you got a C-, C-, B-, B-. You can use your B- courses toward the requirement.