What r my chances? Pls help :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lindpark

Reaction score
I am a senior in undergrad. Hope to apply in 2022 after gaining some shadowing hrs. I am a CA resident.
cgpa: 3.58
Sgpa: 3.38

What are my chances if I get about 22 AA on DAT?

My ec: volunteering hrs ~ 200; researched with a dentist, but no publication; researched with a M.D and 2 publications; shadowing hrs is what I lack a lot (currently doing my best with virtual shadowing; hope to achieve ~150 hrs by the time I apply)

I also hope to apply to OOS friendly schools! Any rec for making that list would be great too!!
Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances would be pretty good if you score a 22 I would say. Just apply broadly since your GPAs are a bit lower.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a senior in undergrad. Hope to apply in 2022 after gaining some shadowing hrs. I am a CA resident.
cgpa: 3.58
Sgpa: 3.38

What are my chances if I get about 22 AA on DAT?

My ec: volunteering hrs ~ 200; researched with a dentist, but no publication; researched with a M.D and 2 publications; shadowing hrs is what I lack a lot (currently doing my best with virtual shadowing; hope to achieve ~150 hrs by the time I apply)

I also hope to apply to OOS friendly schools! Any rec for making that list would be great too!!
Thanks in advance :)
when are you taking the DAT?

side note, why not just apply this year? take the DAT in the next few months and you would still have a gap year if you apply this year, and potentially could gain another 150-200k in income if you get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
when are you taking the DAT?

side note, why not just apply this year? take the DAT in the next few months and you would still have a gap year if you apply this year, and potentially could gain another 150-200k in income if you get in.
I might probably take it in the Fall after studying during this summer.
It's because I don't have enough shadowing hours yet! I do have some virtual shadowing hours. But, that's nowhere near 100 hrs :(
And what do you mean by gaining another 150-200K in income if I get in this yr? Is this likely to change depending on when I get in??

It's because I don't have enough shadowing hours yet! I do have some virtual shadowing hours. But, that's nowhere near 100 hrs :(
And what do you mean by gaining another 150-200K in income if I get in this yr? Is this likely to change depending on when I get in??
I believe he means you would graduate and start working a year earlier, since you wouldn't take a gap year, and as a GP you'd make north of 150K your first year in many places.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe he means you would graduate and start working a year earlier, since you wouldn't take a gap year, and as a GP you'd make north of 150K your first year in many places.
correct
This is not a good reason to delay your app. Go office to office and someone will take you in. do not call offices. just show up and kindly request to shadow. You will get 100 hr easily this way.

correct

This is not a good reason to delay your app. Go office to office and someone will take you in. do not call offices. just show up and kindly request to shadow. You will get 100 hr easily this way.
I agree with Perio, getting hours right now is challenging but not impossible, especially depending on your state. Vaccines are going out rather slowly but it’ll get there, by the summer things should be ramping back up and it’ll be easy to find a place to shadow. Keep trying those offices, someone’s bound to take you in, especially if they have a smaller staff or their building allows for better distancing and such.

correct

Oh, I see. But would it be frowned upon by schools if I take a gap yr to get more e.c.? I was thinking that I would need some strong DAT score and e.c to balance out my low GPA! Thanks you for ur advice btw.

Oh, I see. But would it be frowned upon by schools if I take a gap yr to get more e.c.? I was thinking that I would need some strong DAT score and e.c to balance out my low GPA! Thanks you for ur advice btw.
probably not, but depends on what you do during the year. yes I agree, that you need a strong DAT and ideally some E.Cs.

I just don't think its worth taking 2 years off to do it.