What is your PCAT Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

legaia

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is you PCAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

96 percentile composite, October of 2001... has it really been THAT long?! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, so I guess I am confused about the scoring. I have read that you get two scores. One being your actual score and one being how you ranked in comparison with others who took the test. Which score is the one schools look at? If someone tells you their score do you assume that is their rank or their actual score?

The percentile scores for each individual test are tell you how you did relative to others on that section. The composite score tells you how you did overall, relative to everyone. It isn't just an average for the composite percentile scores.

There is also a scaled score for each section. It is your raw score "normalized" against past test bank data. So nowhere do you get to se your actual score, as it is "normalized" before it gets to you. From what I understand the scores are "normalized" so that the percentile scores given can be used to fairly compare candidates with different recent test dates.

This holds true only if things haven't changed since I took the test.

Thanks for the explanation.

My school doesn't list an average PCAT score on their website. Does anybody know what the average score is? Either across the board at your school?

You guys make me feel like I should have actually studied for the PCAT so I could have a super high score too! I only got a 90 in April 2001.

Wow, everyone has high pcat scores, how can the avg be in the 80's then?

Members don't see this ad :)
legaia said:
Wow, everyone has high pcat scores, how can the avg be in the 80's then?

All scores listed in this thread are not indicative of what everyone (total number of people taking PCAT nationally) makes. Remember, just a small percentage of pre-pharmacy and pharmacy students visit this forum. :thumbup:

With that said, I took PCAT in October 2003 with a composite score of 63%. I retook it in January with a composite score of 84%. I am happy with my score and my improvement. :)

82 percentile composite, I took it in march 2003. If it hadn't been for the math section my score would have been in the low 90s...yes my math score was that bad. I've never been good at math and I've had some pretty weak math teachers. I was pleased with the 82...I probably could have practiced the math more but I did take my PCAT the second weekend of my spring break. Of course the percentile grade just compares you with others that took it that day, so it's depends on who else takes it.

83 percentile.... :(

Haven't got accepted yet, but have my application in. Talk to me at the end of october and I'll let you know if I got in or not.

Too ashamed to post. :oops: I didn't practice for it at all, though, but still. In the 80's somewhere.

Hi everyone. I've never taken the PCAT before. I am starting to study for this October's PCAT. The scary part is I have no idea about what score to expect. I took a few sample tests and realized that I am answering correctly about 70% of the biology questions 60% of the chemistry questions. 95% of the reading comphrehension questions. 50% of the verbal questions and 75% of the math questions right. All five of these niclely average out to be a 70%. What can I possibly conclude with these results? A lot of people got 95s and 99 percentiles on the biology section. I herad that someone who randonly guessed on the last ten biology questions, because he ran out of time, still ended up with a 99 percentile. Would anyone have an idea about approximately what percentile my score would be if i were to take the PCAT today. Every input is greatly appreciated.

FutureRxGal said:
I don't see why you'd be embarrassed to post your score, especially when it's in the 80s.

Well it was in the low 80's... an 82. I actually don't think it's THAT bad of a score...but compared to the majority of posters here, it's awfully low! Haha, that's kind of funny though. My state's pharmacy school had 82 as their average, so I feel okay. It was just comparing myself to everyone here. :)

sweetcalie08 said:
Well it was in the low 80's... an 82. I actually don't think it's THAT bad of a score...but compared to the majority of posters here, it's awfully low! Haha, that's kind of funny though. My state's pharmacy school had 82 as their average, so I feel okay. It was just comparing myself to everyone here. :)

An 82 is nothing to be ashamed of. Remember, there's more people that scored below you than above you. :)

ckv34l said:
Would anyone have an idea about approximately what percentile my score would be if i were to take the PCAT today. Every input is greatly appreciated.

The percentile score is not the percent that you answered correctly. It is a statistical ranking of where you placed. If you score an 80%, then you are in the top 20% of test takers.

sweetcalie08 said:

Hey yo!!!
I got an 83. Our scores aren't BAD, they just could be better. Just think of it this way: If we don't get into pharmacy school the first time around, we can say oh, it's because of our scores. Next time around we can actually study and get a good score. I'll be more worried if I scored really HIGH and didn't get in. I wouldn't know what to do next.

:) We just left room for improvement :)

You know, somebody has to get the dreaded letter saying they are in the 0 percentile. 82 doesn't sound all that bad now does it?

Actually, from the teaching perspective, what I remember about standardized tests is that noone gets a 0%. The lowest is 1% becuase the phrasing is that you scored "as well or better than___%). Not that that makes a big difference :)

If you look at Ohio States Avg PCAT, it's an 87%, if that means anything to anyone.

Seems as if you were the sole owner of the lowest score that would put you in the 0 percentile...after all you would have scored at least or better than no one else. 1 percentile would be just as bad though.

vafcarrot said:
Next time around we can actually study and get a good score. I'll be more worried if I scored really HIGH and didn't get in. I wouldn't know what to do next.

:) We just left room for improvement :)

Hey there! I actually just took the PCAT for a different school's early admissions if I didn't get into a certain school this year. But, I got thru all the hoops and will probably be going to SD this fall. I finished up my 4 cr. summer orgo lab and just have my orgo 2 final tomorrow! Wahoo.

Good luck to you in applying though! Everyone's right about the scores not being so bad...but all the people before my post had upper 90's! Sheesh.

The PCAT is part of the aplication ,not all .I know people with 70 that are sitting today at Nova

I got an 83 thanks to only getting a 20-something in Biology. (Biology is extremely boring to me. It's like watching paint dry.) Thankfully I got 90s in chemistry, cognitive, and verbal. I wasn't prepared for the thing at all, either. I didn't even know what was on the test, I just kind of walked in to the test center not knowing what to expect. Thankfully I got away with my laziness and did better than average.

WVUPharm2007 said:
I got an 83 thanks to only getting a 20-something in Biology. (Biology is extremely boring to me. It's like watching paint dry.)

My first year of pharm school was about 80% biology to 20% chemistry.

dgroulx said:
My first year of pharm school was about 80% biology to 20% chemistry.

YAY! I love bio! :love: However, I think my P1 year is going to be more chemistry than that. We'll see.

To all of you who scored in the 90's (wow!), how many times did you take the PCAT? If you have taken it more than once, did you notice any similarities between the test questions? I took it twice, (Oct. '04 and Nov. '04), and I have to admit this was most definitely the case with my tests.

96 composite (90 chem/91 biology/92 verbal/93 quantitative/97 reading comprehension), october 2004. it was my first exam.

kayjay said:
To all of you who scored in the 90's (wow!), how many times did you take the PCAT? If you have taken it more than once, did you notice any similarities between the test questions? I took it twice, (Oct. '04 and Nov. '04), and I have to admit this was most definitely the case with my tests.
October 2003 (my first and only test)...91st percentile composite.

Was it an advantage or disadvantage for you that the questions were so similar?

Roxicet said:
October 2003 (my first and only test)...91st percentile composite.

Was it an advantage or disadvantage for you that the questions were so similar?

I would think that if the questions were similar, it would be an advantage for anyone taking it, at least for me it was; however, I doubt anyone would go into the exam expecting the questions to be similar. I know I didn't. So for most of the questions, I felt as though I was entering the same answers as I had on the first exam. Having seen most of those questions already, it was an advantage in terms of time at least. My score wasn't stellar (84 :oops: ), but I have to admit that my composite went up substantially..I'm content, but i know it could be better.