What is your opinion on Expressive Arts therapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

casseve2111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm currently an art student studying illustration in San Francisco. I'm planning on getting a masters degree in Expressive Arts therapy, as I see many benefits of using art as a way to communicate difficult feelings and emotions.
I want to work with trauma patients, elderly people, children, disabled people, and those suffering from mental health problems.

I'm curious of what other psychology students, teachers, and professionals think of this approach.
How do you think art therapy can benefit patients? How do you see art therapists fitting into the psychological field? Do you think they play an important role?

I've had some experience teaching art therapy to Alzheimer's patients in critical condition. I was deeply moved by how much it affected the patients in a positive way, and this became a big reason of why I decided to pursue art in the first place.

I'm almost done with my Bachelors Degree, and am starting to think a little more about what I want to do with my life and how I'd like to apply my education. Any advice or insights would help.
Thanks!
Cassandra

Members don't see this ad.