General Admissions & OTCAS What is your backup plan if you don't get into OT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makingmoves2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!!! I'm afraid that I wont get into OT school due to the competitive applicants. I was wondering if anyone considering occupational therapy assistant school. I'm serious thinking about applying to ota programs. I have a bachelor degree already. I'm finish up anatomy and physiology 1 and 2. Has anyone consider Brown Mackie OTA program??? I've taken most of my prereqs. at a local community college. My bachelors is form Wichita State University. I've called TWU and Belmont University bridge programs and they told me they wont take the e prereqs that are taken form Brown Mackie College. Well I've taken all of my prereqs form WSU and Butler community college so I'm good to go. There is just not a lot of OTA programs that are in the Wichita area. Any advice please!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I loved my nursing home observation so I was thinking about any sort of nursing home jobs, such as the activities coordinator

I've thought about this a lot.

I considered OTA as well but I don't think I want to pursue it. I think it's a great option for others but I'm not sure it's one I want to pursue, mostly because my goal is to become an OT, not an OTA. I've decided that if I don't get into OT school, I'll just try and use the year to better my application. I currently work in an administrative role in Hospice and also as a Caregiver in home health. I will probably continue those jobs because I enjoy them. My plan would be to take the GRE again (something I had planned on doing this time around but wasn't able to) and probably retake Statistics (because I took it years ago and earned a C, ugh). Other than that, I would probably try to get some more observation hours in. I have more than enough than schools seem to require but I'd like to keep myself "involved" in the field and continue to learn more.

If you think OTA is the right route for you, I say go for it! There are far more OTA programs across the country with more flexible start dates. I don't know much about Wichita, but perhaps you can check the surrounding areas to see if any other schools offer OTA programs? My only advice would be that if you find your passion and ultimate goal is to be an OT, don't go the OTA route. Instead, use the time to improve your application and re-apply next year. I think 2 years is a long time to go to school for OTA if you also plan on eventually going to school for OT. Bridge programs are nice, but there aren't many. Just know your options and consider whatever will be best for you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. I thought I was a super strong applicant- then I come on here and I realize that I am average. I will probably take off a year. Work (maybe, Therapist Aide), retake courses with a B, retake GRE, edit/edit/edit my essay, and volunteer at programs other than where I am now. Maybe, it won't be so bad. Maybe, I can up my stats and get into my dream school. But. I do not think I will spend two years getting an COTA, I thought long and hard about if this was the best option for me and honestly, nothing comes close, this is my dream job and what I need to do to be happy. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. I thought I was a super strong applicant- then I come on here and I realize that I am average. I will probably take off a year. Work (maybe, Therapist Aide), retake courses with a B, retake GRE, edit/edit/edit my essay, and volunteer at programs other than where I am now. Maybe, it won't be so bad. Maybe, I can up my stats and get into my dream school. But. I do not think I will spend two years getting an COTA, I thought long and hard about if this was the best option for me and honestly, nothing comes close, this is my dream job and what I need to do to be happy. :)
Ok what's your stats. I'm not a strong applicant but I have a strong background with working with children with special needs. I applied to Creighton University. I should find out something this week. I'm just afraid of not getting into OT school. I just wish some schools just don't look at the GPA only. I feel like a gpa doesn't determine someone work ethnic.

I agree. It's very competitive and hard these days because there are so many strong applicants. I wish a lot of schools didn't look so heavily on GPAs but for PASSION and knowledge of the field instead. For those of you thinking of a backup plan, how many times have you applied to OT programs? I'm not too sure what I would do if I don't get in this year, as it is my second year applying. :inpain:It's hard to keep taking classes at school to try and bring up your GPA because I feel like I am just wasting even more money that I will need for when and if i get into the program..I guess maybe I'll try another year if I don't get in, but I don't know what I will do in the mean time?:( I've already retaken a lot of courses and other courses to bring up my GPA. But just like others have said I really do feel like OT is the right field for me and it is something that I REALLY want to do, so I just have to wait for now and hopefully it's meant to be.:nailbiting: I hope I don't have to find another field to go into.

Just a bit of advice from someone who's been through the process and definitely felt the same emotions that you're all having: Try not to think of OTA as a stepping stone toward eventually becoming an OT in a few years. It's a separate career path and, in some cases, costs almost as much in tuition as being an OT. Also, OTA jobs are becoming more and more limited and some places are getting rid of those positions all together and simply requiring OT's to do all of the work their laid off OTA's used to do.

Not trying to talk anyone out of it; just make sure its really what you want. Not getting into the OT program you liked sucks, but don't make the snap decision to do something that's "almost what you want" just because you're discouraged.

Ok what's your stats. I'm not a strong applicant but I have a strong background with working with children with special needs. I applied to Creighton University. I should find out something this week. I'm just afraid of not getting into OT school. I just wish some schools just don't look at the GPA only. I feel like a gpa doesn't determine someone work ethnic.

GPA: varied per school. One school was last 60 3.93 (accepted A+), last 60 about 3.73 (A scale.), OTCAS overall: 3.38
Volunteer/Observation: local Children's hospital Peds Rehab (at the time the OTCAS 85+ but in progress: 5 different clinics, outpatient, 4 different OTs from the hospital), a private OT clinic, School OT, RIO (stroke rehab OT). So total: about 100hours
LOR: professor, PT, OT.
My essay was based of personal experience with OT, with my son, who is a sensory kid. My personal knowledge of implementing home therapy and etc...
My GRE was not good, just bare min. I would have retook because I did not study but I ran out of time. :( If I don't get in, then no doubt, I will retake.
I applied to a lot. I can not really afford to take a year off. I know a lot of the others that I volunteer with at the hospital are on their second/third time applying, but they only applied to one school prior years. I really hate that I am based off my stats. Because of my son, I am so passionate about OT and the positive influence it had on mine and his life, my stats do not show how passionate I am. I tried to really show that in my essay and I hope that makes a bigger impact. You never know what some schools may value. Two of the schools do interviews, I am banking on that.

Last edited:
I was really fortune to be accepted to my #1 choice school early decision, but my backup plan if that didn't work out was to take a year to work, get some more meaningful volunteer experience and take another shot at applying for 2015. I spent 2+ years working in another field already and once my heart got set on OT, I realized there really wasn't another option for me. If I had gone two years in a row without getting in after applying to some "lower tier" programs, I might have questioned whether I was on the right path though, and the next thing on my mind was earning my MPH and going into hospital administration.

Good luck with everything!

Just a bit of advice from someone who's been through the process and definitely felt the same emotions that you're all having: Try not to think of OTA as a stepping stone toward eventually becoming an OT in a few years. It's a separate career path and, in some cases, costs almost as much in tuition as being an OT. Also, OTA jobs are becoming more and more limited and some places are getting rid of those positions all together and simply requiring OT's to do all of the work their laid off OTA's used to do.

Not trying to talk anyone out of it; just make sure its really what you want. Not getting into the OT program you liked sucks, but don't make the snap decision to do something that's "almost what you want" just because you're discouraged.
I partially agree here, it is a separate career path but is very similar to OT and can still have an individual who wants to be in the realm of OT be very very satisfied. I have had the luxury of volunteering alongside some excellent OTAs who have been on the job for YEARS. It is true that their job opportunities nowadays are being limited and cut out more so than ever but as one OTA stated to me, she still receives letters from all over the place from employers needing OTAs, if you don't mind geriatrics then as an OTA you will have a job. The OTAs I dealt with did everything the OTs could do but did not do evals and had to have their notes signed and cleared by an OT, that's it. The OTAs I worked with were hard workers and well respected and they LOVED what they did. As far as schooling, most of the time its significantly less than OT school.

I've thought about this a lot.

I considered OTA as well but I don't think I want to pursue it. I think it's a great option for others but I'm not sure it's one I want to pursue, mostly because my goal is to become an OT, not an OTA. I've decided that if I don't get into OT school, I'll just try and use the year to better my application. I currently work in an administrative role in Hospice and also as a Caregiver in home health. I will probably continue those jobs because I enjoy them. My plan would be to take the GRE again (something I had planned on doing this time around but wasn't able to) and probably retake Statistics (because I took it years ago and earned a C, ugh). Other than that, I would probably try to get some more observation hours in. I have more than enough than schools seem to require but I'd like to keep myself "involved" in the field and continue to learn more.

If you think OTA is the right route for you, I say go for it! There are far more OTA programs across the country with more flexible start dates. I don't know much about Wichita, but perhaps you can check the surrounding areas to see if any other schools offer OTA programs? My only advice would be that if you find your passion and ultimate goal is to be an OT, don't go the OTA route. Instead, use the time to improve your application and re-apply next year. I think 2 years is a long time to go to school for OTA if you also plan on eventually going to school for OT. Bridge programs are nice, but there aren't many. Just know your options and consider whatever will be best for you. :)

NicMOT: I agree. I looked at the OTA route. I still haven't completely ruled it out. But I'd really like to do graduate work. I've decided to work on building my work experience and retake some prereqs that I have that are B's.

I did need to vent. :) But I have been thinking that if I am really nervous about not getting into a school around family. So, I think my backup is to take a year or half year/ because there are a few schools by my family that do Jan start dates- CSUDH and University of St. Augustine.

I looked into an OTA program nearby just incase, but it doesn't seem like the ideal path to take for me. If I do not gain an acceptance into one of the OT programs I applied to, I do not plan on reapplying because OTCAS, applications, and the whole process was time-consuming as well as costly...I'm ready to learn and do something with my life!
I enjoy working in hospice just as someone earlier said. I also enjoy the nursing home/assisted living environment. Some ideas for my backup plan include, becoming an activities director, becoming a grief counselor, becoming a life coach, personal training, reiki master, yoga instructor, massage therapist, lamaze teacher, or midwife..
There are so many options, but these are my interests!

I have started applying to OTA schools in my state (PA). Surprisingly, some of them are just as competitive as applying to grad school. One of the places I emailed said they are highly competitive and have 120+ applicants for 20 spots. Definitely better odds than 20 spots for 600 applicants though haha. I have seen that many people on here continue to apply year after year, I just can't wait that long. I need to be back in school. (Took a year off after graduating bc I didn't apply in time). I've decided that I will go to OTA school if I do not make it into OT grad school.

THe median salary for OTA's is $50,000. Not bad. I figured I could go to OTA school, then always get my Master's after that if I choose to. If I apply as an OTA, I'm sure my chances of getting in will be greater based on experience and education, plus--- who knows maybe my employer will pay for some of my education?!

Where do you stand at this point?

I have started applying to OTA schools in my state (PA). Surprisingly, some of them are just as competitive as applying to grad school. One of the places I emailed said they are highly competitive and have 120+ applicants for 20 spots. Definitely better odds than 20 spots for 600 applicants though haha. I have seen that many people on here continue to apply year after year, I just can't wait that long. I need to be back in school. (Took a year off after graduating bc I didn't apply in time). I've decided that I will go to OTA school if I do not make it into OT grad school.

THe median salary for OTA's is $50,000. Not bad. I figured I could go to OTA school, then always get my Master's after that if I choose to. If I apply as an OTA, I'm sure my chances of getting in will be greater based on experience and education, plus--- who knows maybe my employer will pay for some of my education?!

Where do you stand at this point?
Well I waiting to hear back from Creighton but I'm afraid of getting rejected because I'm in the process of taking Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 which they are going great. The deadline for having all my perequistes done by August 1, 2014. I'm applying to an couple of OTA programs. I just pray I get in somewhere. What schools have you applied to??? What are your stats if you don't mind me asking.