What is the timeline for POD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teefRcool

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys i'm really interested in POD. I'm a senior and after deciding between dental for many years I realized this past weekend it wasn't the thing for me. Could you guys give me the timeline of when applications open up for the entering 2007 fall. What the whole process consists of? Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

teefRcool said:
hey guys i'm really interested in POD. I'm a senior and after deciding between dental for many years I realized this past weekend it wasn't the thing for me. Could you guys give me the timeline of when applications open up for the entering 2007 fall. What the whole process consists of? Thanks guys.

I think apps are accepted starting in September. Depending on your application and if you have all your requirements in you should start receiving interview requests about a month later. It usually takes about 2 weeks following the interview to hear back. However, this does differ some between schools.

Have you shadowed a podiatrist? Good luck in your decision.

teefRcool said:

I believe you can start applying sometime in September. You have to send out a computerized application which includes your info, grades, and personal statement. Then you send the schools your transcrips and LOR's from a DPM before your considered for an interview. Usually the schools will get back to you within a week or two after you apply to set up interviews.

You will want to apply early so that you can get scholarships if you qualify. Being so early in the game, I would start shadowing some DPM's soon and start working on your personal statement of why you want to become a Podiatrist. When looking for a DPM to shadow, try to find one who had a three year residency. Believe me there is a world of difference in attitudes and practice between a newer POD with a PM&S-36 and an older one who only could get a 1 year residency.

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
doclm said:
I believe you can start applying sometime in September. You have to send out a computerized application which includes your info, grades, and personal statement. Then you send the schools your transcrips and LOR's from a DPM before your considered for an interview. Usually the schools will get back to you within a week or two after you apply to set up interviews.

You will want to apply early so that you can get scholarships if you qualify. Being so early in the game, I would start shadowing some DPM's soon and start working on your personal statement of why you want to become a Podiatrist. When looking for a DPM to shadow, try to find one who had a three year residency. Believe me there is a world of difference in attitudes and practice between a newer POD with a PM&S-36 and an older one who only could get a 1 year residency.

Good Luck

They have both answered the question well. You can apply on September 1st. And interviews will start very shortly after that date. They early you get in, the better your chances.

Can you take the MCAT in april and still get in? (If you havent already?)

rekesk said:
Can you take the MCAT in april and still get in? (If you havent already?)

Possibly, but you will probably find the more competitive programs to have already filled their seats by the time the MCAT scores are released. On another note, if your cGPA and science GPA are solid, you can submit applications without the test scores and even receive interviews. If accepted, it would be on a conditional basis that your MCAT scores are higher than a number set by the institution and, also, pending coursework must be completed.

My stats are 3.48 cumulative and 3.2 sci
DAT is 18AA

What do you guys think about my chances?

Thanks again guys, awesome advice.

teefRcool said:
My stats are 3.48 cumulative and 3.2 sci
DAT is 18AA

What do you guys think about my chances?

Thanks again guys, awesome advice.

Apply early and you have a shot. Im not really familiar with the DAT scores so I dont know how an 18 will look. Your science GPA is a little low but I still think you will get in.

IlizaRob said:
Apply early and you have a shot. Im not really familiar with the DAT scores so I dont know how an 18 will look. Your science GPA is a little low but I still think you will get in.

I think you have a solid chance of getting in somewhere. Your DAT score is not great so if time is of the essence for you, it might be wise to take and destroy the GRE. If you score high on it and apply early and the rest of the "package" is in place, you could probably be interviewed at most schools.

Good Luck,

AZPOD Rocks

I wouldn't screw with the MCAT. Apply with your GPA and DAT. If they say that they are low or if they out you a conditional basis, then take the GRE or MCAT.

Personally, I say why waste the time and money if their is a chance to get in w/ your scores. The earlier the better, especially in your case. Get it done in September and interview by October. CPMS was filled really fast, and I'm sure that is just how it is going to be from now on. If you don't care about the curriculum, then other schools will fill much slower (Not trying to start a holy war, just my opinion). For your money, work the CPMS route; if you get in there, you'll get in everywhere else.

Dr_Feelgood said:
CPMS was filled really fast, and I'm sure that is just how it is going to be from now on. If you don't care about the curriculum, then other schools will fill much slower (Not trying to start a holy war, just my opinion). For your money, work the CPMS route; if you get in there, you'll get in everywhere else.

My, arent we humble?

I can tell that this dental and podiatric issue has plagued your soul for many years.... Well, at least since september of 2005...

You will have to promptly change your name to feetRcool, but this should not be a problem as the prefix of your forum name backwards makes things right.

Then if you ever decide to change back to dental, you can always claim dyslexia.

Good luck.

Podiatric schools accept DAT? Now why didn't I just go pre-dental and switch? Thats genius!

teefRcool said:

Are you sure you want to make a completely life-changing decision within just 1 weekend? Here's what I picture what will happen: You're going to apply to dental and pod, get accepted into a dental school and a pod school, and completely ditch POD. End of story, Goodluck!

Cheetos said:
Are you sure you want to make a completely life-changing decision within just 1 weekend? Here's what I picture what will happen: You're going to apply to dental and pod, get accepted into a dental school and a pod school, and completely ditch POD. End of story, Goodluck!

Hey, not so fast!

I'm sure he'll send the pod school a thanks but no thanks note.

Catayst said:
Hey, not so fast!

I'm sure he'll send the pod school a thanks but no thanks note.

Then again, AACPM and the pod schools could use the extra $$$ from the app fees for the real pre-poders :)

teefRcool said:
Ahahaahah No i'm serious about becoming a POD.

Don't let anyone get to you here. Seriously, most of us are different in person. Heck Ilizarob is a 6 foot, 190lb cross-dresser. It is weird when he is in clinic.

Rob during the day, Iliza at night!

Catayst said:
Rob during the day, Iliza at night!

Someone came up to me in class and asked, "Iliza? Why Iliza?" Well my friends just to clear things up it stems from Ilizarov. You know, the inventor of ex fix. At first I thought it was genius. Now Im thinking I just sealed my fate as a cross dresser. Oh well, the patients think its cool.