Other OT-Related Information What is the Best way to look into OT schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what is the best source to find out which schools offer the OT masters program. I don't care what state they are in. I'm trying to find some schools where you don't need the extra sciences. I know you need Anatomy I and II which I'll have. I just don't know how to go about finding these schools. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering what is the best source to find out which schools offer the OT masters program. I don't care what state they are in. I'm trying to find some schools where you don't need the extra sciences. I know you need Anatomy I and II which I'll have. I just don't know how to go about finding these schools. thanks

There aren't that many (if any) resources that other health programs might have where you can filter out programs based on requirements to decide what fits best. I had to individually go through schools OT program pages and actually look at each of the schools requirements. I would say your best bet is to actually think of what cities or states you would be willing to live in for 2 years and potentially stay to work in (also consider cost of living). From there start looking at the schools that have programs in those states and google the "school name ot" and program requirements will usually pop up. I think you'd be surprised at the number of schools that don't ask for science courses besides A&PI/II (if they do it's occasionally physics or biomechanics, vary rarely bio or chem). I made an excel doc when i applied where i added all important things I had to consider for each school...

I have attached a copy of it.

Best of luck

Attachments

• OT schools.xlsx
    434 KB · Views: 53
Members don't see this ad :)
I have anither problem: I just realized many schools require cadaver dissection in gross anatomy lab. I think this is excessive and unnecessary, and would like to find programs that do not have this requirement. No, I didnt find animal dissection fun either. I realize many peoe find it enjoyable; I do not.

I have anither problem: I just realized many schools require cadaver dissection in gross anatomy lab. I think this is excessive and unnecessary, and would like to find programs that do not have this requirement. No, I didnt find animal dissection fun either. I realize many peoe find it enjoyable; I do not.

I didn't encounter that when applying; while programs required gross anatomy or a 4 credit anatomy that had some kind of lab portion my class in undergrad didn't have a dissection portion and the class was accepted by all programs I applied to.

I didn't encounter that when applying; while programs required gross anatomy or a 4 credit anatomy that had some kind of lab portion my class in undergrad didn't have a dissection portion and the class was accepted by all programs I applied to.

First semester of grad school includes some form of cadaver dissection everywhere I’ve looked.

First semester of grad school includes some form of cadaver dissection everywhere I’ve looked.

Oh I see what you mean I thought you meant you needed it as a prereq to get in. Yeah most schools will have you do cadaver lab. My program mostly does "online dissections" and we only saw a cadaver twice and didn't actually dissect it ourselves we mostly observed the professor. I'm sure if you ask around there may be programs that do it a similar way.

Right; I have no problem with cadaver viewing or limited dissection, but stories I read from OT grad schools lead me to believe you will be expected to remove brains etc. Not something I expected when I chose the OT field.