What is the best degree and career for engineering undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnsonH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, but I have been reading over various topics within this website over the past month or so and I still don't have a clear answer to my question.

I am interested in getting into the medical field, but not on the clinical side. I am an industrial and systems engineering major with an emphasis in health systems engineering and math minor. I would like to get into a field that primarily focuses on making improvements in healthcare systems by using tools such as statistical modeling, financial analysis, project management, and operations research. I would like my work to have direct effect with the people within the system. I'm not just a number cruncher, I'm a people person as well, so I would like to work with the doctors, nurses, and patients if this is all possible. Finally, though I can work independently,I feel that I am much more effective in a team environment because I like to take charge and use the strengths of others, as well as my own to get a task accomplished.

I'm leaning towards obtaining an a grad degree in IEOR combo with an MBA or an MS in Health Systems Engineering, or an MBA with a healthcare concentration. Am I on the right track? I don't really want to stay in the academic world forever, and I don't want to get into information systems

As far as career, it seems my only logical option is healthcare consulting. Are there anymore career options that fit what I want to do. I would also like the path that would lead to CEO, CFO, or COO of a healthcare system.

FINALLY, is it possible to have this type of career and a healthy family life?

Thank you so much for the help, and sorry for the lengthy post! I posted this question before in a different section on the forums and got a few responses but would like more information

Members don't see this ad.