This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorOrdinary

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not a typical WAMC post but more of a question about the more in-state friendly public schools such as ones in Texas and Cali. I'm a Florida resident and have family (1st cousins) in Texas who I visit once every year or every other year. I also have a close relative in Cali that just recently moved there. I know these schools have class profiles of around 70-90% of the students being in state and I'm not sure if having family in these states is considered a "strong connection." If I have stats that are close to their school's averages, would it be worth applying to them?

Members don't see this ad.

OOS school connection for state public schools would be:
You grew up in the state and graduated from high school in that state.
You went to an undergraduate school in the state especially if the undergraduate school has a a state public medical school.
Your parent(s) are alumni of the state public medical school
You have been living and working in the state for several years but not yet a legal resident.
Having relatives in the state that you occasionally visit is definitely not a connection for the purpose of medical school admissions.

Reactions: 1 users
You went to an undergraduate school in the state especially if the undergraduate school has a a state public medical school.
You have been living and working in the state for several years but not yet a legal resident.
Having relatives in the state that you occasionally visit is definitely not a connection for the purpose of medical school admissions.

Thank you for the response Faha. Those reasons definitely make sense. What about having a clinical case study publication with a researcher that is now working in one of those types of schools? The researcher used to work in a school at my state but took up an offer outside of Fl, and I am planning on getting a letter of rec from him. That's the only other connection I have to an OOS school

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the response Faha. Those reasons definitely make sense. What about having a clinical case study publication with a researcher that is now working in one of those types of schools? The researcher used to work in a school at my state but took up an offer outside of Fl, and I am planning on getting a letter of rec from him. That's the only other connection I have to an OOS school
That is unlikely. Apply to all your Florida schools as those are where your best chances are assuming you have a competitive application.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
I don't mean to hijack this thread by any means, but as a CA resident (lived here almost my entire life + school here), if my mother went to McGovern and I applied to McGovern I would be given preference compared to someone with no ties?
Thanks!

Hello,
I don't mean to hijack this thread by any means, but as a CA resident (lived here almost my entire life + school here), if my mother went to McGovern and I applied to McGovern I would be given preference compared to someone with no ties?
Thanks!
Yes, legacy connection does matter assuming your stats are otherwise competitive for the school.

Reactions: 1 user