General Admissions & OTCAS What Information do I need to send to the Recommender to get high quality LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1Lath

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I worked on a professor's research team for one semester (Spring 2017) and he has agreed to write me a letter of recommendation. What information do I need to send him to help him write me the best letter of recommendation possible. Resume? Restate what I did on his research team? Other?

What information do you send a recommender in general to help them write you a LOR's?

Thank you for your time

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious to see what people have sent. Normally, you'd just ask people who know you well enough to speak of your character and potential. Those people usually write the best ones and tend to embellish cause they love/like you. Otherwise, idk. I'm curious though.

Send him your resume and your personal statement as to why you want to become an OT (the OTCAS prompt). You could possibly ask him to state specific skills you have or how you have overcome something while working with him. Something unique is always the best type of LOR, IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
I second the personal statement and resume. If you have a top school, look into their mission statement/values and find out the type of student they're looking for. Ideally, I think your personal statement should show committees certain facets of yourself while the LORs can fill in the blanks and really round you out as an applicant. That being said, If you can, schedule a quick face to face conversation during office hours. This way you can let them know if there's something you'd like them to highlight and give them some examples and explanations on the spot. Good luck!