What IM subspecialties are there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be an incoming med student this fall. just outta curiosity, what internal medicine subspecialities/fellowships are there?

Members don't see this ad.

The main ones are:

Cardiology
Gastroenterology
Nephrology
Rheumatology
Hematology/Oncology
Endocrinology
Pulmonology/Critical Care
Allergy/Immunology
Infectious Disease

I probably forgot a few.

In addition to the ones Johnd mentioned, Geriatrics. Additional limited fellowships are available but not very common: sports medicine, adolescent medicine, preventive medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Stormreaver
Additional limited fellowships are available but not very common: sports medicine, adolescent medicine, preventive medicine.

Are u sure preventative medicine is a fellowship of internal medicine? I thought it was a specialty of its own.

Here's the list from the American Board of Internal Medicine (www.abim.org):

allergy & immunology (with further sub-spec available in clinical lab & immuno)
cardiology (with further sub-spec available in clinical cardiac electrophysiology or interventional cardiology)
endocrinology, diabetes, & metabolism
gastrointerology
hematology
infectious disease
medical oncology
nephrology
pulmonary disease
rheumatology

They also have certificates of added qualifications in:
adolescent medicine
critical care medicine
geriatric medicine
sports medicine

Originally posted by prominence
Are u sure preventative medicine is a fellowship of internal medicine? I thought it was a specialty of its own.

It is it's own residency, with 4 subsets:
1. General preventive medicine
2. Aerospace
3. Occupational Health
4. Public Health

Many have a specific aim, and just as many (or more) will get you an MPH. For example, 3 of the 4 aerospace are military or NASA, and the UTMB-Galveston is aimed towards Corrections medicine. Yep, you can do a residency to become a "prison doc".

61 Programs total.

and the UTMB-Galveston is aimed towards Corrections medicine. Yep, you can do a residency to become a "prison doc".

Simply not true Apollyon. UTMB's aerospace medicine program is the only non-military affiliated aerospace medicine residency. It is closely affiliated with NASA which is located about 30 minutes up the road from Galveston. In fact, several faculty at UTMB are former astronauts.

The preventive medicine program at UTMB is not aimed towards corrections medicine at all. You are correct in associating UTMB with corrections medicine as UTMB provides medical care for 80% of the prisoners in the state of Texas. By the way, most "prison docs" in Texas (ie. the ones at the units) are not board certified and barely meet criteria for licensing in the state of Texas, let alone complete a fellowship in "corrections medicine".

Originally posted by DrMom
Here's the list from the American Board of Internal Medicine (www.abim.org):

allergy & immunology (with further sub-spec available in clinical lab & immuno)
cardiology (with further sub-spec available in clinical cardiac electrophysiology or interventional cardiology)
endocrinology, diabetes, & metabolism
gastrointerology
hematology
infectious disease
medical oncology
nephrology
pulmonary disease
rheumatology

They also have certificates of added qualifications in:
adolescent medicine
critical care medicine
geriatric medicine
sports medicine

There is also additional training available for Hepatology or Advanced Endoscopy after Gastroenterology. Also, after Pulmonary, you can do an additional year in Sleep Medicine.

My mistake on Preventive Med. I did see a flier recently about a new fellowship in Palliative Medicine at Cleveland Clinic, I believe, adn mixed them up.

Originally posted by Crypt Abscess
Simply not true Apollyon. UTMB's aerospace medicine program is the only non-military affiliated aerospace medicine residency. It is closely affiliated with NASA which is located about 30 minutes up the road from Galveston. In fact, several faculty at UTMB are former astronauts.

The preventive medicine program at UTMB is not aimed towards corrections medicine at all. You are correct in associating UTMB with corrections medicine as UTMB provides medical care for 80% of the prisoners in the state of Texas. By the way, most "prison docs" in Texas (ie. the ones at the units) are not board certified and barely meet criteria for licensing in the state of Texas, let alone complete a fellowship in "corrections medicine".

Simply true, to wit:

"The two-year program is a specialized field with emphasis in correctional medicine."

More...

"At the completion of two years, the resident will earn a M.P.H. degree and will be prepared to manage the entire spectrum of responsibilities as a medical director of a correctional health care facility."

UT-MB Galveston

Moreover, I said "military or NASA" - the only civilian program that is not military or NASA is Wright State.

Wright State Aerospace