What do you use to study for boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EstesTables

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do palliative care fellows use to study for boards?

On amazon I see some sample test kindle books for sale, but not many books for study. Is there something that fellows commonly use to study for boards, or review courses?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing. My boards are this November. I am planning to take the board review course in August in Minnesota. I also hear that HPM Fast is a good resource. It has 4 modules with 25 questions each on Pediatric, Hospice regulatory, prognostication and psychiatry. As far as books are concerned, the primer for palliative care is a good resource. Also HPM Pass is a set of 150 practice questions. Essential Learning module set has 9 books and I have read one of them in older edition and they are okay. Good luck to you and if you hear of other good sources, do let me know.

I did HPM Pass and Fast, I reviewed Fast Facts, and there were some board type questions I found on PalliMed, I also did the 9 book module.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, you must go to the faculty members, discuss the things with them get some notes on their experiences. Secondly, you can find some e-books or student's presentations on slideshare, scribd etc.

Hope everyone who took the boards today did well!

I did not attend a review course, but did look through the syllabus a colleague brought back from md anderson course - it looked pretty good, will probably go to this review course in 10 years when its time for recert, didnt feel it was necessary being so fresh out of fellowship...

I primarily used the unipac (now essentials) books + fast facts + other notes i had from fellowship.

I did hpm pass towards the begining of my review- scoring about 70-75% first round.
I did hpm fast 4 modules at the end (day before the exam) and scored 80-90%
We will see how the final results play out, but im comfortable with how the exam went!

Last edited:
1. Get a textbook are read it during the first 6 months of training.
2. During the second 6 months, do study questions (HPM Pass) and read the UNIPAC book series.

I passed.