What do I say if I haven't shadowed a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medtraveler19

Reaction score
I have an interview coming up with a DO school and I have no direct experience observing a DO physician. What is something I could say if they ask why DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Say you are actively trying to find one to shadow or ideally have already found one to shadow, I say this only as someone who got into DO school this past year. With that being said I had 6 DO interviews last year and there wasn’t a single one where exposure and familiarity with osteopathic principles wasn’t asked about.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Say you are actively trying to find one to shadow or ideally have already found one to shadow, I say this only as someone who got into DO school this past year. With that being said I had 6 DO interviews last year and there wasn’t a single one where exposure and familiarity with osteopathic principles wasn’t asked about.
I am familiar with the osteopathic principles, just very little exposure to it

Members don't see this ad :)
You can find DOs to shadow online too. There’s old recordings on YouTube from web shadowing during the pandemic. Not ideal but would at least give you something to use as a talking point.

Reactions: 1 users
You should shadow a DO. You can also read articles and watch interviews online from AACOM, AOA, SOMA, and other Osteopathic medicine organizations. A few of us can suggest books.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, why didn't you shadow a DO? Your answer will usually be in there.
due to spending a lot of time in the hospital from the age of 11-20, I didn't feel like I needed to shadow doctors since I spent much time observing how they treated other patients and me. I thought it was more than enough exposure. I barely shadowed an MD doctor and it was only because I felt like I needed to in the case for med school apps.

You should shadow a DO. You can also read articles and watch interviews online from AACOM, AOA, SOMA, and other Osteopathic medicine organizations. A few of us can suggest books.
what books do you recommend?

I actually used to look at this and ask applicants if they had. Most areas, except some rural, usually have access to DOs. I would ask why apply to a DO school if you weren't interested enough to shadow one? It makes an applicant appear they really aren't interested all that much in our school and are OK using our school as a backup. It always looks better if you shadow a DO. I'd try to find one.

Last edited:
I actually used to look at this and ask applicants if they had. Most areas, except some rural, usually have access to DOs. I would ask why apply to a DO school if you weren't interested enough to shadow one? It makes an applicant appear they really aren't interested all that much in our school and are OK using our school as a backup. It always looks better if you shadow a DO. I'd try to find one.
but isn't it late to start shadowing one? I have an interview coming up soon. I don't have much shadowing experience in general with either MD or DO. It isn't about not being interested, it's more about gaining that experience through my time as a patient. I spent over 10 years correcting a deformity and during that time I interacted with all types of physicians and noticed what kind of care really made an impact on me.

You are correct. It is probably late to look for shadowing Shadowing and clinical experience are looked at by admission committees. Check other threads on SDN for recommended shadowing, volunteering, and clinical experience hours. This would represent a weakness in an application, imo. Although many posters will tell you this would not be a deal breaker in and of itself, as they were admitted without shadowing a DO, this will be something you should be able to discuss if asked about it in an interview.

but isn't it late to start shadowing one? I have an interview coming up soon. I don't have much shadowing experience in general with either MD or DO. It isn't about not being interested, it's more about gaining that experience through my time as a patient. I spent over 10 years correcting a deformity and during that time I interacted with all types of physicians and noticed what kind of care really made an impact on me.
Although your time as a patient is meaningful and allowed you to interact with different providers, it's not the same experience as shadowing. Just as being a medical student is different than being a resident and so on. I agree with others that some shadowing or other clinical experience (e.g scribe) are useful when applying. As far as whether it specifically has to be a DO, I don't think that makes much difference. Unless you spend time with one who does OMM, which most do not, or one who is at a residency program with OR, you aren't going to see much of a difference compared to our MD colleagues. If you are having trouble finding someone, you could also reach out to your local medical school. Typically they are a good source for finding physicians who do shadowing.