What DAT score will guarantee going to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

88Kieys

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, let's just create a hypothetical scenario. (This is NOT ME Let's just assume something)

Let's say you have your average Joe dental applicant. He has about a 3.6 GPA, he does some service and has the average job shadowing time, ect. What kind of DAT score could a person like this get but still have a nearly complete acceptance to any school he applied to? I understand you have to go through interviews and people must like you; but, do you think there is a score a person could get that could get them in almost anywhere.
What do you guys think?
Getting a AA of 20....or 24.....what about 26?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
no guarantees in life :) BUT if you get a 22. i think you should get in. One of my friends got late acceptance with a 3.9 GPA, 20 DAT and lots of leadership, volunteer etc...
Take this with a grain of salt though, because there are no guarantees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Even if you have a 30AA, if you interview poorly or have a major red flag on your application (criminal misconduct, etc.), you're not going to get in.

Nothing is guaranteed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What about if your sGPA is 3.2 and the school you are applying to has an avg acceptance for those with sGPA of 3.48? I m studying hard for the DAT so I could make up for the GPA.

Even if you have a 30AA, if you interview poorly or have a major red flag on your application (criminal misconduct, etc.), you're not going to get in.

Nothing is guaranteed.
I agree Incis0r! Perfect response. May I add a weak personal statement is another reason students don't even get the interview. Many things are considered.

believe it or not, i know someone who got in with a 14, as well a couple people who got in with a 17. It is never a guarantee.

@DentalHygenius86 Say what? What school did their acceptance gain a 14 into? I took the DAT a couple months ago and have to retake it due to getting a low score, I'm just wondering how a 14 got them accepted into dental school

Well I was your average student, had a 3.6 overall gpa and met most of the other criteria. My bcp gpa was strong though, being a 3.7+. My DAT score was a AA 23. TS was 24 with a 29 in the ochem section. I applied later in the cycle but still received interview invites from 5 schools and was rejected by 2. I only interviewed at two schools and was accepted in January at my top choice school. There is a lot that plays into your application and I don't think that it was only my DAT that got me into school. Personal statement and letters of recommendations can benefit you as well.

Also, there is never a guarantee that you will get in with a certain DAT score. I know that was said already but I wanted to reiterate that.

Okay, let's just create a hypothetical scenario. (This is NOT ME Let's just assume something)

Let's say you have your average Joe dental applicant. He has about a 3.6 GPA, he does some service and has the average job shadowing time, ect. What kind of DAT score could a person like this get but still have a nearly complete acceptance to any school he applied to? I understand you have to go through interviews and people must like you; but, do you think there is a score a person could get that could get them in almost anywhere.
What do you guys think?
Getting a AA of 20....or 24.....what about 26?

Not a 20. I had an AA of 20, a solid GPA, and connections with members of the Board + donors and also the best recommendations that one could hope for. Ended up getting waitlisted, which eventually turned into a "no." However, my best friend got into OU with lower DAT, lower GPA, etc than me, so nothing is absolute. But I would say a score of 21+ would set you up well.