What can you do with a BS in biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcataz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In case I don't get in this year, what can I do with a new bachelors degree in biomedicine for a year aside from teaching high school?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're facing a gap year it's probably best to consider something that will help to pad the ol' CV. I have heard that the NIH post-bac cancer research program is excellent. You won't make a load of cash, but they do offer a stipend of over $20k+...plus the chance to work with world class bio-medicine researchers and do some serious networking. Anyway, it is something that helps you stand out from the crowd a little on an application as well as making a good interview rejoinder.

IRTA FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM

You could try doing EMT work for a year. It is what I was going to do. It's good experience and shows you are dedicated to a career in medicine.

K

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I did what two of the previous posters recommended. I earned my EMT certification my senior year of college and started working as an EMT shortly after graduation with a BS in Forensic Science. This worked well for me because it gave me a flexible schedule as well as time to start my Master's coursework. A Master's degree is much more work than undergrad work - something I didn't realize at the time, and I am glad that I wasn't working an 8-5 Mon-Fri job. EMT certification can be earned at a community college in a semester and can set you up to work in a pre-hospital or emergency department setting. Emergency departments tend to pay more, since for the first 6 months on an ambulance you'll typically be on a BLS rig (at least in Cali). I'd say go the EMT route. You'll learn a lot about medicine and a lot about yourself.

Good luck.

You can get a job in a lab doing research at a university or a biotech company. There are some temp agencies like Kelly Scientific that can place you. That had been my plan but the economy sucks so I got nowhere with that. You could apply to the Health Corps branch of Americorps which is not specific to a BS but would give you lost of patient contact and public health experience. In California (not sure about other states) you can become a licensed pharmacy technician and work in a pharmacy in retail or a hospital. It'll give you patient contact, teach you a lot about drugs. I am doing that right now and would recommend it. The pay is good in big cities... comparable to the pay in the job I had out of school with my BA the first time around. Some hospitals (I only know about AZ and CA) will hire you and give you training to work in their lab and to draw blood and stuff like that and then help you get certified if you already have a BS.

It'll take a lot more than a science degree to become a forensic scientist. You'll also need law enforcement experience and criminal justice courses. It's difficult to find entry level work -- but once you're in you'll have a great job.

Forensic Chick, I have to disagree with the required law enforcement experience and criminal justice courses (I am not trying to start any trouble or anything). I am currently employed at a crime laboratory. The majority of my collegues have science specific degrees (biology, chemistry, medical technology, etc) with no prior criminal justice experience or course work.
Forensic jobs are hard to come by, but I agree with you that it is very rewarding. For those interested in DNA positions, biochemisty, molecular biology, genetics, and stats courses are required. Check out American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors website, they usually have job listings.