General What can I do with a pre-health degree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was pre med. now I am just health and even thinking about just getting a masters in genetics or something along those lines. What pre health/ science fields can I go into with these classes taken as I finish up my senior year ?
Bio 1 and 2 with lab
Chem 1 and 2 with lab
Orgo 1 and 2 with lab
Genetics with lab
Psych with lab
Sociology
Calculus
Statistics
Anatomy with lab (only one semester. No physiology)
And I will most likely take bio chem over the summer.
Could you give us more information about your standing in school now and how you have made this decision? Did you meet your prehealth or career services advisors? Have you read the Explore Health Careers website?
Have not looked at that website. Have spoken to two advisors but they have not been that helpful. Spoke to a third one yesterday just about my schedule and she was very helpful so I will talk to her about it. i go to a top 50 university (def not a brag just trying to give as much info as possible) with a 3.4. I know these stats are not amazing and under average but my I dont care where i go to school and my dad, who is a chief of surgery, is in close contact with the state school he went to and hopefully that can give me a bump into the program if I am on the fence. I would probably get a masters degree ( 1 year program ideally) and build up my resume before applying to medical school. But i am open to any advice or opinions any of you have. My mom ( a pediatrician) thinks i can do well in medical school but her main concern is my mental health and the amount of time it takes to actually be a doctor. Therefore she thinks i should try to be a PA.
I have wanted to be a doctor ever since i can remember but more recently my mom has been worried about the time and stress it would be on me and recommends being a PA- thats how i came to this decision

Members don't see this ad.

Without physiology, you won't be able to go into PT, PA, or most of the non-"medicine" fields. Most everything (aside from PA) would require a year of physics too. Genetics counseling may be an option, like you mentioned. Maybe nutrition programs as well (though they likely require physio). Clinical psychology or social work might be an option if you've had additional psych courses.

But, I would worry less about "what can I use these classes for" and more about what you really want to do. Don't pick a field just because the classes you already took meet their requirements. Think about what made you decide to not be pre-med anymore -- if it was grades, then that will likely prevent you from pursuing other health science grad programs, as they're often just as competitive as med school can be (and AdComs for those other programs can tell when applicants are applying as a backup to med school)... But if it wasn't academic performance and it was something in the nature of the work itself that turned you off from medicine, then ask yourself if that would be the case for other types of health fields, too., e.g., if you realized you don't like the clinical setting, then that would pretty much rule out all other clinical careers.

I would do some informational interviewing/shadowing with the careers you're considering, read blogs from students/clinicians in that field, etc. to help you figure out what type of work you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.