What Books Do I Need To Start My Rad Onc Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlexanderJ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently completing my PGY1 year and starting my Rad Onc residency in July. The TY program I am at has given me an educational stipend that I plan to spend on reference books. Hey Steph, or anyone else, what books should I buy for my upcoming rad onc residency? Also, should I use the money for a subscription to Up to Date? Is Up To Date useful in Rad Onc residency? Any other ideas as to how I might spend this education stipend (e.g. palm pilot etc.)? I can use the money for educational purposes only. Thanks.

AJ

Members don't see this ad.

uptodate.com is invaluable for radonc but i wouldn't spend cash on it- your TY year should have a subscription. As for books:

Stanton and Stinton's book on Applied Physics for Radiation Oncology
by Robert Stanton, Donna Stinson
(read this before residency and you will be sooooo happy) this book I recoommend above and beyond all others.

TREATMENT PLANNING AND DOSE CALCULATION IN RADIATION ONCOLOGY. Gunilla Bentel,
RADIATION THERAPY PLANNING. Gunilla Bentel.

AJCC 2002 staging guide for cancer.

but first, make sure you aren't getting these books from your radonc program.

(sign up as a radiation oncologist)

While its wildly out of date, you might graze through Coia's book on radiation oncology. (and a hint: the industrious med student/resident might lookk into updating it).

All the best,
Steph