What aspects of a program should one look for when applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plastiquewil

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m currently a MS IV applying to combined PS residency programs. I am applying broadly (27 programs) scattered geographically. I am unequivocally convinced and dedicated to a future in this field however am uncertain in how to make the selection. Specifically, What does on look for in a program? What makes a program right for me? What aspects/variables of a program are worth considering when making the choice of where one may arguable spend the most important years of their formal training? I conjured up a list but am unsure if these are variables or relatively constant throughout most programs, these include: 1) The amount of cases I can operate as PGY 1/2 - exposure early on, 2) The ratio/ or available of attendants and their commitment to teaching (can u really asses this? 3) opportunity to do meaningful research...and obviously geographical location - which is personal. Aside from the former mentioned - WHAT ELSE IS IMPORTANT WHEN EVALUATING A PROGRAM AND KNOWING IF ITS RIGHT FOR ME? Thanks for the help!
Additionally When I interview what q's should I be asking the inteviewer about the program?

Members don't see this ad.

You're underapplying. You should consider applying to pretty much every program with the exception of a few that you feel strongly about NOT attending. Most applicants don't have the luxury picking and choosing a whole lot. You'll probably notice that around 50% of people either match at their home program or a place where they rotated.

You're underapplying. You should consider applying to pretty much every program with the exception of a few that you feel strongly about NOT attending. Most applicants don't have the luxury picking and choosing a whole lot. You'll probably notice that around 50% of people either match at their home program or a place where they rotated.

I wholeheartedly agree. When applying plastics, matching to any program is a feat in itself. Just get a spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
you will never get a good idea about what really goes on at a program unless you rotate there. there is no magic. no matter where you go, it will probably change over the 5-7 years that you will be there. you will gain some knowlege on your interviews..not so much from visiting the programs, rather talking with students that are on the interview trail and getting the "dirt" about their home progams. (tho..this is somewhat of a game too) i agree with the above...just get in.

Thank You for the prompt response- to all! i apologize for my delay - Previous forums I had posted on notified me via email of a response to my thread - however this was not the case and as such ws unware anyone had responded.

I'm taking your advice and applying to the remainder of the programs - I didnt realize I was "underapplying"

Although I agree that getting in should be my top priority what drove me to post the thread was my own cruriosity as to why certain programs are ranked high (NYU pitttsburg). Additionally, I received a secondary application from Southern Illinois University asking me, "Describe what you are looking for in a residency program (i.e what would make you choose our program over another)?

I posted the thread hoping I could receive some insight from those of you who have already trekked this path. Any ideas? Thanks Again -

OHHH - Any opnions on SIU program - Seems great from what I could gather on the internet (yeah I know this isnt reliable but its all I have)

Program reputations can be a funny thing. Sometimes the reputation is a few years behind what's going on at that program, and sometimes it's undeserved. Places like Pittsburgh get a good rep from who they have on staff and the fact that Pitt is a full service deal. It pretty much has everything from peds, to trauma, to cosmetics, to cancer reconstruction. Of course their are always people that feel their program (even NYU or Pitt) is missing something or that they didn't get the depth of training they would have liked in a particular area.

My plastic fellowship was in a place that was trauma heavy and pediatrics but light on the cosmetic. I didn't mind because I liked the trauma (and I still do). Some places have nice cosmetic/outpatient experiences but may lack complicated reconstructive. Some have a lot of hand, some have very little. Some places with a good rep may not let the residents operate much. You graduate with a name but not much in the way of skills. Some are the exactly the opposite.

I agree wholeheartedly with what has been posted. You can set your rank list with the programs that have what you think you may want and then take what you get. If you feel slighted in some area, there is always opportunity for some additional training afterward.

Good luck,

--Moravian

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Great - Thanks for all the advice guys!