What are some productive things to do IF quarantined?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDr

Psychologist
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don’t think things will end up this way, but why not have a few ideas on hand?

1) Get caught up on reports
2) Finish that article you’ve been working on

Members don't see this ad.

You're not quarantined yet? In my area, all the clinics, schools, and universities have shut down and I've been in quarantine for the past week and a half. No in-person classes or practica. I've just been using this time to make progress on my dissertation, which has been nice.

Reactions: 1 user
I live with a child. Sooooo... more bonding time. Very little else productive. Maybe some house cleaning.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My patients are cancelled and I’m working from home for the next two weeks. My plan is to finish a couple reports, write an article, study for the EPPP (although who knows when I’ll actually be able to take it now) and maybe if I get really bored, tinker with my dissertation data.

Plans:
-Use my newfound oodles of free time to sit in my office, analyze data and write papers/grants (i.e. live my dream life)
- Develop lab task organizational system built off new project management software (sadly...also kinda my dream life?)
- Take the space to do some long term planning and strategic thinking
- Train for upcoming 5k

Reality:
- Sit in 6 or more hours of COVID conference calls each day
- "Make" work that bored staff with limited capacity to work from home can do
- Repeated cycles of news checking and intermittent nervous breakdowns
- Review grants until 9PM for possibly the most ill-timed study section in NIH history?

Reactions: 8 users
Taxes, reseed the backyard, pull some weeds, order some ebooks, download more podcasts, take the dog for an extra walk...in reality still crawling up the walls a bit.

Reactions: 1 users
somehow with more time on my hands I have done even less writing than before.

Reactions: 3 users
So far..... filed taxes, finished a manuscript revision, started a second manuscript revision, am seeing clients via telehealth, normal coursework, watched professional development webinars, cleaning, sleep, exercise, meal prepping, meditation, and figured out my dissertation options if I can't access my immuno-compromised population for data collection.

I've been riding the "ignore kids/be productive" versus "ignore work/engage as a parent" seesaw for a week. But I'm getting more sleep and slightly more exercise, and my house is really clean, so there's that.

I've been riding the "ignore kids/be productive" versus "ignore work/engage as a parent" seesaw for a week.

I’m also on this seesaw and feeling the tension. I’m trying to significantly alter my classes while keeping my clinical role fairly intact...all while fighting the urge to stay in pajamas all day and just play with the kiddos.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
So far..... filed taxes, finished a manuscript revision, started a second manuscript revision, am seeing clients via telehealth, normal coursework, watched professional development webinars, cleaning, sleep, exercise, meal prepping, meditation, and figured out my dissertation options if I can't access my immuno-compromised population for data collection.

@Spydra and others - are there any good professional development webinars that you would recommend? I'm compiling a list of webinars and online trainings to complete, and would love suggestions! I'm a child psychologist ECP, but if others have recommendations for non-child specific videos, I'm sure the internet would appreciate! Thanks in advance :)

I've been riding the "ignore kids/be productive" versus "ignore work/engage as a parent" seesaw for a week. But I'm getting more sleep and slightly more exercise, and my house is really clean, so there's that.
More sleep for me, cleaner house, much less physical activity, and I've decided that I can probably get done the bare minimum work for the rest of the semester.

Not "quarantined" per se, but do have a remote position, and after after a large crunch, will probably return to a lighter load of issues and projects this week if today is any indicator? Wife is off and is being paid thank goodness.

I actually love doing mild landscaping and yard-work but have no idea what all that **** is that grows in my yard. Front yard weed infested for 2 years. Backyard is too, but don't care cause we got sandbox, hammock, play set and kids who play golf in the backyard. Will find out what all the stuff is in the front yard and why we can't get a good take despite over-seeding 2 years in a row. I don't like paying companies for all that jazz. Will better furnish and paint guest bedroom, which has been embarrassing for a while now. Need duct cleaning for house and carpet cleaning for basement bar and rec area. That will take, uh, 4-5 days? Pick a new Netflix series, 2 Amazon prime series, finish up the Handmaids Tale. Law & Order Marathons with naps. Yea, guess will catch up on some reading too?

Last edited:
@Spydra and others - are there any good professional development webinars that you would recommend? I'm compiling a list of webinars and online trainings to complete, and would love suggestions! I'm a child psychologist ECP, but if others have recommendations for non-child specific videos, I'm sure the internet would appreciate! Thanks in advance :)

Not sure this is helpful, but I find them through the emails from student associations usually. APAGS has some on various diversity topics that were interesting. I imagine APA has some aimed at ECPs.

Whelp: screw you guys.

1) cbt certificates form beck or Ellis.
2) your mom
3) an mph or edd because you can get those online now.
4) cbt thing from penn
5) more boards cause screw you guys
6) memorize the branches of the pudental nerve. Might as well understand the neuro basis of those that can’t keep their pee in.
7) read William James works that everyone so enamored with.
8) figure out why George Vallant measured JFKs testicles. Cause I have zero idea how that’s related to defense mechanisms.
9) spy puts
10) start looking into state and national policies that I could make some phone calls about.
11) finally finish reading brain injury medicine
12) memorize rosses diagnostic laboratory testing in psychiatry.
13) learn more about NICs laws.

Last edited:
7F5F09AC-0E23-4960-B7C1-842C35B3E518.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Whelp: screw you guys.

1) cbt certificates form beck or Ellis.
2) your mom
3) an mph or edd because you can get those online now.
4) cbt thing from penn
5) more boards cause screw you guys
6) memorize the branches of the pudental nerve. Might as well understand the neuro basis of those that can’t keep their pee in.
7) read William James works that everyone so enamored with.
8) figure out why George Vallant measured JFKs testicles. Cause I have zero idea how that’s related to defense mechanisms.
9) spy puts
10) start looking into state and national policies that I could make some phone calls about.
11) finally finish reading brain injury medicine
12) memorize rosses diagnostic laboratory testing in psychiatry.
13) learn more about NICs laws.

You need to get the EDD online and then change your username to PsyDrEDD...because PsyDredd sounds like a Supervillian.