What are my options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plant based

TUSPM Class of 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an incoming PGY1, and an international student from Canada. I was told that my program would sponsor my J1 visa, however during the process, I was told that the ECFMG does not sponsor Podiatrists for the J1. The program is not willing to work with me to help me figure this out. They are basically saying that if the ECFMG will not sponsor me there is nothing they can do. Does anyone have more information on J1 visa with Podiatry, or any advice on what I should do moving forward? I am also looking into transferring as there are quite a few open spots this year... though I'm not sure if that is possible this late in the game. This is incredibly frustrating as I was supposed to move next week but I don't want to be in a position where I do not know whether or not I will be able to work this year or the years going forward. if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I don’t have any advice, but just wanted to say I’m so sorry this is happening to you. I hope everything works out okay.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you get an immigration attorney who deals with physician visa / training?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this goes without saying but ask your school and CPME for help. Your school may have had a prior student go through this before and any sort of transfer is going to require CPME's (or whatever alphabet soup organization) approval for the transfer.

For the list of programs still available I'd look to see if any of their websites specifically attest to willingness to pursue J1 for you.

You can't be the first person from Canada to try and do an American podiatry residency.

This doesn’t sound right. For now, can you start residency on your OPT EAD (if you’ve applied for it)? Ask your program if that’s okay

I’m a DO and I have friends that had to start residency on OPT last year because they couldn’t get the J1 processed in time
Yes, I am currently awaiting approval of my OPT EAD. I hope that it will be approved before I start! However I was told that this only lasts for one year...I was really hoping to be able to do all 3 years at this program. Apparently, DO's and MD's are able to be sponsored by the ECFMG, DPM is not recognized...

It just bothers me that I was told that I would be able to be sponsored for this visa, then turns out it's not true...

I talked to my director and he's currently talking to the hospital's immigration lawyer trying to see my options.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Praying this works out.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Update: Hospital will not budge and get me the visa that I need.

Currently looking to see if there are any open positions that will possibly take, and sponsor me.

Spent every last cent I had on moving close to the hospital, hiring a moving company, down payment, rent etc. To hear this horrible news.
Now I am scrabbling to find a position to get the training I need. I feel like my entire world is collapsing around me.

Note to any international student reading this: ONLY extern/interview/rank programs that WILL GUARANTEE you will get an H1B (NOT J1) VISA, to avoid living in my current nightmare. I hope that me going through this will save any future student the distress.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users

Currently looking to see if there are any open positions that will possibly take, and sponsor me.

Spent every last cent I had on moving close to the hospital, hiring a moving company, down payment, rent etc. To hear this horrible news.
Now I am scrabbling to find a position to get the training I need. I feel like my entire world is collapsing around me.

Note to any international student reading this: ONLY extern/interview/rank programs that WILL GUARANTEE you will get an H1B (NOT J1) VISA, to avoid living in my current nightmare. I hope that me going through this will save any future student the distress.

I am so sorry you're going through this. This is freaking horrible. I obviously don't know what are available right now but have you looked into DVA due to the fact that it's U.S. government based? Not sure if that will help. Because match is binding contract, is there anyway they can save you your spot until this is sorted out?

I am so sorry you're going through this. This is freaking horrible. I obviously don't know what are available right now but have you looked into DVA due to the fact that it's U.S. government based? Not sure if that will help. Because match is binding contract, is there anyway they can save you your spot until this is sorted out?
Unfortunately, VA's will not sponsor at all. I have two options: try to transfer somewhere now, or spend a year at this program on OPT EAD and then try to transfer somewhere (?) in second year. Both not ideal. It goes to show that no matter how much a program states they want you, what they can offer you, make you sign a contract, etc - can all be based on a bunch of lies. Look out for yourself. Such a disappointment after all of these years of sacrifice; mentally, financially..

real shame. Just from looking at the open positions list for pgy1 I see at least 3 pretty good programs.. not sure if they’ll accept your situation though.. if there’s any good news at least this happened during a good year where some good programs are open still

I'm sorry about your situation and hope something works out. Have you tried asking for legal help from the APMA/CPME?
As stated in this thread, I would also ask for a list of past Alumni from your school who were in a similar situation.

It's disheartening to witness all this but hang in there. :confused:

Have to be a US or Naturalized Citizen to be at a VA program.

Lawyer up. See if you have a case in the court of law. They should know better than to put you in this position. Now your career is in jeopardy. Your training will be forever altered and if you don’t get into another program you have just accrued 6 figures in debt with no way to pay it off.

This program and its residency director should also be reported to the APMA as well as the department of health of the respected state.

You need to stick up for yourself instead of just taking it

Agree with CutsWithFury. This is coming from someone who had to stick up for himself after suffering through an awful COVID-related job market, was forced to take a crappy private practice position in Tennessee, and am now happily settled into a good, stable MSG job in Florida.

So, this program knowingly ranked you despite the fact that they were unable to sponsor your work visa? If that's true, and you made your ranking decisions based on this information that they provided you beforehand (which you likely did) and matched there, then I think you might be able to make a serious legal case for damages as their misinformation could result in a catastrophic premature end to your future career in podiatry. I wouldn't be looking at an internet forum for answers when your situation is this dire. You need to talk a lawyer, like, yesterday. Preferably one that is not affiliated with the hospital or program because their priority will be protecting THEIR interests... not yours.

For sure report this to CPME as well. The program should be investigated/cited for potentially ending a poor student's future career like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lastly do not go the legal route because of FEAR of being ostracized from the podiatry profession. Podiatry does not give a damn about each other. It truly does not. The ACFAS lecturers that you look up to are the same people limiting you when you come to their town. That is the way it is. Your career is swirling the toilet the bowl. You need to do something before you get flushed down the drain for good. But PLEASE don't do nothing because you fear of retribution from your "colleagues". They don't have your back. In fact I would not be surprised if you complained to the APMA and they don't do anything about it. You still need to report the program to APMA and the CPME officially. If that gets you nowhere you should be conferring with a lawyer and planning another plan to recoup damages from this. Or at least put up a fight.

Reactions: 2 users
In fact I would not be surprised if you complained to the APMA and they don't do anything about it.

They definitely won’t, but that’s because there is nothing they can do. They are a professional organization, not an accrediting or licensing body.

If you are an APMA member you can reach out and they may be able to provide some information/legal recommendations, but that would be the extent of it. This whole situation is simply out of their wheelhouse.

My question is, does Canada require formal residency training to be a practicing podiatrist? Assuming the OP doesn’t get a visa or whatever he/she needs, then going back to their country of citizenship and working for a year seems like a better idea than sitting around for the next CASPR/CRIP cycle.

I think Ontario is the only province that will acknowledge Chiropody in Canada. I think the rest requires DPM, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I also don't think chiropody requires residency. Maybe OP can look into that as a potential option if all else fail? I know the scope is definitely limited to only soft tissue structures but it's better than no training at all.

This is such as crappy situation overall. I'm not going through this but I've been thinking about what OP may be feeling and I wholeheartedly wish I can help cause this sucks.

I think Ontario is the only province that will acknowledge Chiropody in Canada. I think the rest requires DPM, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I also don't think chiropody requires residency. Maybe OP can look into that as a potential option if all else fail? I know the scope is definitely limited to only soft tissue structures but it's better than no training at all.

This is such as crappy situation overall. I'm not going through this but I've been thinking about what OP may be feeling and I wholeheartedly wish I can help cause this sucks.
Yes, you are correct that Ontario does not require Pods to have a residency. Regardless of degree (DPM or D.Ch) Ontario views both podiatrists and chiropodists the same (pretty dumb tbh, but small pod lobby in Ontario).

However, provinces like BC and Alberta that have a similar scope of practice as a majority of the US require a residency.

Link

Hey everyone thank you for your responses.

Thankfully, a program has offered to bring me in this year and sponsor me. I am so happy that they are giving me a chance. I am very lucky that there were a few open spots this year. I don't know what I would do if I had to go back to Canada for a year and wait for the next cycle.

In response to getting a lawyer, I was thinking about that but now I am in a position where I can get training. I did lose out on a few thousand dollars on a down payment of an apartment but at least my career is not in jeopardy. It's still so wrong. This is a problem that is very large in Podiatry. I am realizing more and more from talking to other people that this has happened to someone they knew in the past. A lot of program directors don't understand how Visas work or if their program will really sponsor them because they really haven't looked into it or had an international student as a resident before or in a long time. Then the graduate offices only really know in regards to MD/DO, so they give false information. It sucks that they don't look into it more seriously when they have a potential applicant or resident coming in. That is a major issue and problem. I wish I could fix it but I don't know how.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Hey everyone thank you for your responses.

Thankfully, a program has offered to bring me in this year and sponsor me. I am so happy that they are giving me a chance. I am very lucky that there were a few open spots this year. I don't know what I would do if I had to go back to Canada for a year and wait for the next cycle.

In response to getting a lawyer, I was thinking about that but now I am in a position where I can get training. I did lose out on a few thousand dollars on a down payment of an apartment but at least my career is not in jeopardy. It's still so wrong. This is a problem that is very large in Podiatry. I am realizing more and more from talking to other people that this has happened to someone they knew in the past. A lot of program directors don't understand how Visas work or if their program will really sponsor them because they really haven't looked into it or had an international student as a resident before or in a long time. Then the graduate offices only really know in regards to MD/DO, so they give false information. It sucks that they don't look into it more seriously when they have a potential applicant or resident coming in. That is a major issue and problem. I wish I could fix it but I don't know how.
First off, congrats on getting a program.

Secondly - you had four years prior to this day to figure out the specifics to be allowed to train in the US.

Podiatry residents are a tiny fraction of overall residents and we are not part of the MD/DO system. Those podiatry students with foreign citizenship trying to get residencies are in the double digits. There is no way ECFMG would ever care about podiatry with those numbers.

To say it's the fault of the system is passing blame. You had years to figure this out and double-check everything prior to the date it's due.

If you want to fix the system after you graduate, work on establishing podiatry residencies in the country of your citizenship. That way more of your classmates can work in their home communities and the overall local can benefit with better-trained podiatrists.

This is a problem that is very large in Podiatry.

This isn’t a Podiatry problem, this is a Canada problem. No offense but we need more podiatrists in the US like I need another hole in my head. And if Canada needs podiatrists that have residency training like what is offered in the US, it seems like a healthcare system which is largely run by the government should provide that training. If the government doesn’t care to do that, then that same government probably shouldn’t require a 3 year residency that they are incapable of providing.

I mean, we could solve this problem by just cutting off admissions to podiatry schools for non US citizens...then this whole visa thing wouldn’t be an issue for anyone.

I mean, we could solve this problem by just cutting off admissions to podiatry schools for non US citizens...then this whole visa thing wouldn’t be an issue for anyone.

The schools are too thirsty to do that.

First off, congrats on getting a program.

Secondly - you had four years prior to this day to figure out the specifics to be allowed to train in the US.

Podiatry residents are a tiny fraction of overall residents and we are not part of the MD/DO system. Those podiatry students with foreign citizenship trying to get residencies are in the double digits. There is no way ECFMG would ever care about podiatry with those numbers.

To say it's the fault of the system is passing blame. You had years to figure this out and double-check everything prior to the date it's due.

If you want to fix the system after you graduate, work on establishing podiatry residencies in the country of your citizenship. That way more of your classmates can work in their home communities and the overall local can benefit with better-trained podiatrists.
Understandable, I did look into visa's and such during Podiatry school but there was a lot of information that I was not getting over the internet and from other people. I did the best that I could with the resources that I had. I still feel like program directors should have more knowledge about this process before letting an international student into their program. I did put my faith into the program as they told me they did in fact sponsor. All I'm saying is that the directors should look more into this before blindly letting someone in and then have this situation happen. I'm not trying to point blame at anyone and I could have done more research into J1 and how they are sponsored. Now that I know what I know, I wanted to make this post in case it may help anyone else that may potentially get caught in a situation like mine. And I agree, I think there should be residencies in Canada if to practice there you need one. There was at one time a residency program in BC I do not know what happened to it. Barely anyone in Canada knows about what a Podiatrist is/the training needed. However there are always 1-2 Canadian students per class at my school. Though there are a small amount of us, there are enough to justify a program looking out for their best interests if they are looking at them for a residency candidate.

Another tip for anyone reading this: hospitals that are for profit will 9 times out of 10 not sponsor a visa. Make sure you are looking at hospitals that are not for profit.

There was at one time a residency program in BC I do not know what happened to it.

I remember hearing about it, I think it was at Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences Center. Not sure what happened to the program.

Talk about a killer location for a residency program, I would love to live in Vancouver.