What are my odds???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorboy68

Reaction score
Hi this is my first time posting to SDN ever. I've used it a lot for mcat and pre-med in general but mainly to view other threads. I am applying this upcoming cycle and wanted to get some advice. Please respond, I need some persepctive on where I stand bc i have no clue. Here's some info about me:

Male, ORM, NJ resident, graduated from small school in NJ May 2023 with a degree in Biology, minor in psychology

GPA: 3.81 overall, 3.79 science, 3.82 non-science

Overall GPA by year: 3.69 freshman, 3.87 sophomore, 3.72 Junior, 3.93 senior

MCAT: taken three times

Attempt 1: 504 (127 CP, 124 CARS, 127 BB, 126 PS)

Attempt 2: 506 (127 CP, 124 CARS, 127 BB, 128 PS)

Attempt 3: 509 (127 CP, 125 CARS, 128 BB, 129 PS)

Extracurriculars:

Nursing Assistant in every unit of major hospital (float pool): 1/23-Present (450-500 hours by time of applying)

Medical Scribe at orthopedics clinic: 2/24-present (around 150-200 hours by time of applying)

Hospice volunteer: 11/20-9/22 (350 hours)

Volunteer at assisted living facility (non-clinical): 3/19-present (on and off for around 300-400 hours)

Fraternity president and secretary prior in college: engaged in, and coordinated multiple major service events across urban communities to donate food, blood drives on campus and to raise money for diabetes health foundations (520 hours presdient, 200 hours for service)

president of organization for school's biology department to give tours of the school's biology builiding and promote the program to prospective incoming students, participated in and organized all these events (480 hours from 5/2020-5/2023)

Joined organization that allows me to volunteer to make food and donate to people in urban communities, recently joined around 75 hours by time of application

Summer reserach internship at a medical school in NJ, summer after my sophomore year (summer 2021) around 230 hours

physician shadowing: multiple specialties (rheumatology, pm&r, orthopedic surgeon, vascular surgeon) throughout being pre-med, around 130 hours

undergraduate research: involved bio/bioinformatics work, collected virtua data, worked with huge datasets, ran stats, created my own thesis, project, and presented poster (1000 hours)

hobbies: weight lifting/cooking (weight lifting ties into my interest to *maybe* persue PM&R, cooking ties into why i did the food donation volunteer thing bc i got to do something im passionate about to give back

overall my biggest red flag TO MEseems like my mcat with three attempts and my cars not breaking 125 but I think at DO schools I have a good shot.

What are my odds? For DO and for MD? Is there anything I can do between now and June to increase my odds for MD schools? What are any other red flags I amy have??

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Your 3 NJ state public schools
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Georgetown
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
Tulane
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)
For DO schools I suggest these:
Cooper Rowan
Touro-NY
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
CUSOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM

Do my clinical hours appear like a red flag? My clinical hours are 350 in hospice volunteering over 2 years, around 400-500 in a year and a half as a nursing assistant, and scribing that i recently started for around 100-200 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do my clinical hours appear like a red flag? My clinical hours are 350 in hospice volunteering over 2 years, around 400-500 in a year and a half as a nursing assistant, and scribing that i recently started for around 100-200 hours.
I don't think that's an explicit red flag; you got the hours you needed

Your clinical hours are good. Are you able to write about one of those clinical experiences as “most meaningful “?

Your clinical hours are good. Are you able to write about one of those clinical experiences as “most meaningful “?
one of them will definitely be most meaningful (nursing assitant), hospice may or may not be. Does that impact if my hours are still good enough?

Reactions: 1 user
Non-clinical community service is still a little light, but you at least have 75 hours (food distribution). Okay with the 200 hours of community service with your fraternity. Keep building in this area, especially one you no longer have the campus club safety net. Most schools will screen out if you have fewer than 150 hours at submission. Need clearer signal of mission fit.

Non-clinical community service is still a little light, but you at least have 75 hours (food distribution). Okay with the 200 hours of community service with your fraternity. Keep building in this area, especially one you no longer have the campus club safety net. Most schools will screen out if you have fewer than 150 hours at submission. Need clearer signal of mission fit.
I also have 300-400 hours volunteering at an assisted living facility which I believe is non-clincial (playign games, giving talks and small group discussions on internet safety and more). With this, is my non-clincial community service still light?

I also have 300-400 hours volunteering at an assisted living facility which I believe is non-clincial (playign games, giving talks and small group discussions on internet safety and more). With this, is my non-clincial community service still light?
What do you mean by on and off for 5 years? So less than 100 hours per year? Why didn't you say so in your original post?

Still need your purpose and mission as a physician.

Last edited:
What do you mean by on and off for 5 years? So less than 100 hours per year? Why didn't you say so in your original post?

Still need your purpose and mission as a physician.
I began volunteering in an assisted living facility my senior year of high school. I did mention it in my original post. In college, I was only able to volunteer there on summers or occasional weekends/breaks. Post-college I volunteered there a bit more (currently in my first year out of school). I'm not sure what that works out to in terms of average hours per year however I'm sure the standard deviation is high. In college I did do service events for my fraternity as I mentioned and post-college I also did the food donation service along with the assisted living. All in all, I have been trying to find ways to give back from pre-college to now.

What exactly do you mean by my purpose and mission? It's a broad question and I'm wondering if you could give me a example of what exactly you are looking for in terms of an answer? Are you referring to the "why" of my desire to become a physician?