This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently struggling with one of my classes, basically on the verge of failing. I am also currently being treated for a mental illness that I was just recently diagnosed with (struggled for YEARS to figure out what was going on). I cannot retake this course as it's only offered every other Fall semester, so I'm kind of screwed over if I fail. What should I do? And will my mental illness hinder my application because I am struggling with my senior year, and literally breaking down every day. I'm normally an A+ student, I transferred 103 credits with a 4.0. I'm sitting at a 3.250 in my university and it's just really breaking me apart.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently struggling with one of my classes, basically on the verge of failing. I am also currently being treated for a mental illness that I was just recently diagnosed with (struggled for YEARS to figure out what was going on). I cannot retake this course as it's only offered every other Fall semester, so I'm kind of screwed over if I fail. What should I do? And will my mental illness hinder my application because I am struggling with my senior year, and literally breaking down every day. I'm normally an A+ student, I transferred 103 credits with a 4.0. I'm sitting at a 3.250 in my university and it's just really breaking me apart.
Can you take a mental health leave of absence? Talk to an advisor at your school, and talk to the professors in charge of your classes. They might be willing to work with you, maybe give you an incomplete instead of a failing grade and let you finish the work next semester or whenever you’ve got a better grip on life.

Hi everyone! I’ve been lurking on this thread for years, and after multiple stress dreams about getting rejected from schools I figured I might as well just throw my stats on here

21 year old, female, senior in undergrad majoring in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and minoring in Psychology, NJ Resident (no in-state:()
Schools I’m applying to: Cornell (#1 by far), Kansas (interview invite), Florida, Tufts, Missouri, Michigan, Washington, Colorado, Illinois, UPenn

Cumulative GPA: 3.58
Science GPA: 3.56
Last 45 GPA: 3.81

GRE: 157 V (75%), 161 Q (76%), 5.5 W (98%)

Veterinary Experience:
205 hours small animal
135 hours small animal exotic
40 hours equine
108 hours zoo
520 hours shelter medicine
Total: 1,008 hours

Animal experience:
200 hours dog trainer
62 hours PetCo volunteer
69 hours handling birds in Costa Rica
Total: 331 hours

Research experience:
180 hours studying spinal cord regeneration in axolotls in undergrad
50 hours researching birds in Costa Rica
108 hours researching lemurs at a zoo internship
Total: 338 hours

Employment:
Old Navy employee for 3 years
Work in college admissions as a tour guide/interviewer for prospective students

Extracurriculars:
DIII collegiate athlete on the track team, team captain for 3 years
Pre-Veterinary club founder and president
Pre-Health Society Executive Board
Relay for Life Executive Board

Honors/Awards:
Dean’s List for 4/6 semesters
Tri Beta Biological Honor Society
All-Centennial Academic Honor Roll, MVP of track team my sophomore year
National Honor Society in high school

Letters of Recommendation:
-small animal exotic veterinarian who I had an externship with and then continued to shadow for 2 years
-chemistry professor who knew me really well because I basically spent 10 hours per week in his office practicing problems
-biology professor, research advisor, and pre-veterinary advisor who I’ve worked with for 3 years
-collegiate track coach
-shelter medicine veterinarian who I worked closely with for this past summer

Obviously at this point my application is way in and I can't change anything, but I think I just need some peace of mind because I've been freaking out over this for the past few weeks. Cornell is easily my top school, but I have no idea what to expect from them because I know they weigh GRE/GPA as 50% of the application and my GPA isn't stellar:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I’ve been lurking on this thread for years, and after multiple stress dreams about getting rejected from schools I figured I might as well just throw my stats on here

21 year old, female, senior in undergrad majoring in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and minoring in Psychology, NJ Resident (no in-state:()
Schools I’m applying to: Cornell (#1 by far), Kansas (interview invite), Florida, Tufts, Missouri, Michigan, Washington, Colorado, Illinois, UPenn

Cumulative GPA: 3.58
Science GPA: 3.56
Last 45 GPA: 3.81

GRE: 157 V (75%), 161 Q (76%), 5.5 W (98%)

Veterinary Experience:
205 hours small animal
135 hours small animal exotic
40 hours equine
108 hours zoo
520 hours shelter medicine
Total: 1,008 hours

Animal experience:
200 hours dog trainer
62 hours PetCo volunteer
69 hours handling birds in Costa Rica
Total: 331 hours

Research experience:
180 hours studying spinal cord regeneration in axolotls in undergrad
50 hours researching birds in Costa Rica
108 hours researching lemurs at a zoo internship
Total: 338 hours

Employment:
Old Navy employee for 3 years
Work in college admissions as a tour guide/interviewer for prospective students

Extracurriculars:
DIII collegiate athlete on the track team, team captain for 3 years
Pre-Veterinary club founder and president
Pre-Health Society Executive Board
Relay for Life Executive Board

Honors/Awards:
Dean’s List for 4/6 semesters
Tri Beta Biological Honor Society
All-Centennial Academic Honor Roll, MVP of track team my sophomore year
National Honor Society in high school

Letters of Recommendation:
-small animal exotic veterinarian who I had an externship with and then continued to shadow for 2 years
-chemistry professor who knew me really well because I basically spent 10 hours per week in his office practicing problems
-biology professor, research advisor, and pre-veterinary advisor who I’ve worked with for 3 years
-collegiate track coach
-shelter medicine veterinarian who I worked closely with for this past summer

Obviously at this point my application is way in and I can't change anything, but I think I just need some peace of mind because I've been freaking out over this for the past few weeks. Cornell is easily my top school, but I have no idea what to expect from them because I know they weigh GRE/GPA as 50% of the application and my GPA isn't stellar:(

I thought I'd actually reply to this because the similarities between your stats and mine are striking. Exact same GRE scores in all 3 categories and nearly the exact same science and last 45 GPA. You have a better cumulative than me. I also applied to each of the schools you listed and then some. So - I can't really offer any advice since I am in the same boat, but I thought it would be comforting to hear that someone else is right there with ya! You are not alone in the multiple stress dreams lol. May the odds be ever in both of our favors~~

Reactions: 1 user
I thought I'd actually reply to this because the similarities between your stats and mine are striking. Exact same GRE scores in all 3 categories and nearly the exact same science and last 45 GPA. You have a better cumulative than me. I also applied to each of the schools you listed and then some. So - I can't really offer any advice since I am in the same boat, but I thought it would be comforting to hear that someone else is right there with ya! You are not alone in the multiple stress dreams lol. May the odds be ever in both of our favors~~
Well I'm glad to have an application twin!! I would love to hear from you throughout this application cycle to see how everything pans out for both of us :) Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users
Males aren't considered a minority in this context lol. There is nothing about being male that makes it more difficult to get into vet school and I have never heard of them getting special consideration, and for good reason.

Whether this is your personal opinion or not - this is incorrect information. I know other people have linked to some schools but LMU specifically states

"As a non-profit, private university, LMU-CVM does not differentiate student applicants based on in-state and out-of-state residency. However, Appalachia residency status, minority status and males are given preference in the admissions and selection process to increase diversity."

Reactions: 2 users
Hi friends,

So college was rough and the first 3 (T H R E E) years were rough including failed classes. Eventually, I retook pre-req classes (got A's) and then my last 45 is looking like 4.0. And like...my friends I got a D in bio twice before I got the A. I'm trying to get myself past it but...wow it's hard to not focus on?

My career GPA is still low 3 (I think like 3.01), but that's about all I can do right now since I've retaken everything and bounced back to get the A's. I don't really have the $$$ to stay in undergrad to take classes until I have a stellar GPA, and either way, those years happened and I can't change that.

SO my question for every kind soul out there: what can I genuinely do now to strengthen my app? Trying to make it more obvious that I'm not the kid I was when I started college.

So far experience wise:

Member and then advisor in a health science program at my school
Research assistant with sheep (in a medical lab, taking ABG's and giving meds)
Research assistant with butterflies (including field work)
Vet assistant for holistic vet
Kennel worker (got to listen in on vet meetings)
Vet assistant for small animal vet (he takes me to meetings with a bunch of different vets too because he's a champ)
Wildlife rehabilitation intern (meds, wrapping, handling, etc.)
Equine caretaker
About to start as a vet tech at an animal shelter
Shadowed 3 small animal clinics & lab animal vet
Conducted self-designed research experiment on microbes (apparently getting published so that's nifty!)
Volunteered at a shelter
Volunteered at horse rescue
Volunteered at wildlife rescue
Volunteered at the zoo
Volunteered at children's hospital teaching kids about nature (not sure if relevant but super fun)
Spent 3 days aboard a research vessel

Taking a gap year because I needed the extra semester to show some academic success....but what can I do now? Suggestions for the gap year?

What does your last 45 credit GPA look like? Are all of your pre-reqs complete or do you have others to take? You’d likely be best-served by schools that prioritize last 45 over cumulative GPA or schools that do grade replacement. What’s your in-state school?

What does your last 45 credit GPA look like? Are all of your pre-reqs complete or do you have others to take? You’d likely be best-served by schools that prioritize last 45 over cumulative GPA or schools that do grade replacement. What’s your in-state school?

Yeah sorry haha I didn't even realize my post was super long--but I mentioned that my last 45 is a 4.0, and nope I'm done!

Thanks for the reply! I'm mostly looking for some advice on what to do to strengthen my app during my gap year, though :)

Sorry, misunderstood! I would agree with the above comment that you could stand to widen the spread of your vet experience hours, specifically with large and/or food animal if you can. The sheep experience is good, but working with other livestock or equine specifically in a veterinary setting would be good.

Yeah sorry haha I didn't even realize my post was super long--but I mentioned that my last 45 is a 4.0, and nope I'm done!

Thanks for the reply! I'm mostly looking for some advice on what to do to strengthen my app during my gap year, though :)
Part of strengthening your app is applying to schools that will consider your application highly for admission. I think that's what @EB73674 was getting at and it's sound advice. Def look into schools that consider schools that highly consider last 45.

Whether this is your personal opinion or not - this is incorrect information. I know other people have linked to some schools but LMU specifically states

"As a non-profit, private university, LMU-CVM does not differentiate student applicants based on in-state and out-of-state residency. However, Appalachia residency status, minority status and males are given preference in the admissions and selection process to increase diversity."
That's honestly laughable, and quite sad. Maybe my comment should have the caveat that it doesn't apply to LMU? Guess I shouldn't speak for every school out there.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi friends,

So college was rough and the first 3 (T H R E E) years were rough including failed classes. Eventually, I retook pre-req classes (got A's) and then my last 45 is looking like 4.0. And like...my friends I got a D in bio twice before I got the A. I'm trying to get myself past it but...wow it's hard to not focus on?

My career GPA is still low 3 (I think like 3.01), but that's about all I can do right now since I've retaken everything and bounced back to get the A's. I don't really have the $$$ to stay in undergrad to take classes until I have a stellar GPA, and either way, those years happened and I can't change that.

SO my question for every kind soul out there: what can I genuinely do now to strengthen my app? Trying to make it more obvious that I'm not the kid I was when I started college.

So far experience wise:

Member and then advisor in a health science program at my school
Research assistant with sheep (in a medical lab, taking ABG's and giving meds)
Research assistant with butterflies (including field work)
Vet assistant for holistic vet
Kennel worker (got to listen in on vet meetings)
Vet assistant for small animal vet (he takes me to meetings with a bunch of different vets too because he's a champ)
Wildlife rehabilitation intern (meds, wrapping, handling, etc.)
Equine caretaker
About to start as a vet tech at an animal shelter
Shadowed 3 small animal clinics & lab animal vet
Conducted self-designed research experiment on microbes (apparently getting published so that's nifty!)
Volunteered at a shelter
Volunteered at horse rescue
Volunteered at wildlife rescue
Volunteered at the zoo
Volunteered at children's hospital teaching kids about nature (not sure if relevant but super fun)
Spent 3 days aboard a research vessel

Taking a gap year because I needed the extra semester to show some academic success....but what can I do now? Suggestions for the gap year?

Hey! So a huge part of applications is your experience! And you have a ton, especially diverse ones outside of a vet clinic. Honestly, experiences will get you a long long way. And I think the best thing you could do is work as a vet tech and working as a vet tech in a shelter is a really unique experience a lot of people won't have. When I got to vet school (currently a 1st year) I was kind of shocked by how some people did not have much hands-on animal experience or never had a job involving animals. So I think you really are set up for success. How long / committed were those volunteer experiences? If you can continue to do them to build up the hours, even better. Also those could be good references to add on to your application! You can also explore other interesting opportunities that maybe did not fit into a college lifestyle. Also, remember to have some fun with your time off school and being in the normal world! You've worked really hard to get where you are so enjoy the time you have to have a regular job with some set hours cause that gets thrown out the window once your back in vet school!

Have you taken the GRE yet? Since you are out of school, you could try to give yourself as much time to really do well on it. A high GRE can sometimes outweigh lower GPAs, especially with combined improvement over the more recent classes.

Hope this helps in some way? I'm just procrastinating studying for class :)

Hey! So a huge part of applications is your experience! And you have a ton, especially diverse ones outside of a vet clinic. Honestly, experiences will get you a long long way. And I think the best thing you could do is work as a vet tech and working as a vet tech in a shelter is a really unique experience a lot of people won't have. When I got to vet school (currently a 1st year) I was kind of shocked by how some people did not have much hands-on animal experience or never had a job involving animals. So I think you really are set up for success. How long / committed were those volunteer experiences? If you can continue to do them to build up the hours, even better. Also those could be good references to add on to your application! You can also explore other interesting opportunities that maybe did not fit into a college lifestyle. Also, remember to have some fun with your time off school and being in the normal world! You've worked really hard to get where you are so enjoy the time you have to have a regular job with some set hours cause that gets thrown out the window once your back in vet school!

Have you taken the GRE yet? Since you are out of school, you could try to give yourself as much time to really do well on it. A high GRE can sometimes outweigh lower GPAs, especially with combined improvement over the more recent classes.

Hope this helps in some way? I'm just procrastinating studying for class :)

ah okay thanks :) I'll try to keep building up hours then! and I have not taken the GRE yet haha so that's a good point thanks!

That's honestly laughable, and quite sad. Maybe my comment should have the caveat that it doesn't apply to LMU? Guess I shouldn't speak for every school out there.

MaLeS iNcReAsE dIvErSiTy

:rolleyes:

So i graduated recently and was going to try to get into pre-vet classes. I have tons of experience with exotics, and horse throughout my entire life, ive even helped with some emrgency vet work, even with all my experience and knowledge of vet care, how overall ****ed am i with a 2.4 GPA? Calc and Trig have ruined my GPA.

So i graduated recently and was going to try to get into pre-vet classes. I have tons of experience with exotics, and horse throughout my entire life, ive even helped with some emrgency vet work, even with all my experience and knowledge of vet care, how overall ****ed am i with a 2.4 GPA? Calc and Trig have ruined my GPA.

I wouldn’t say you’re ****ed but where you go from here will make or break you. What’s your degree in? If it’s not science then you can take your pre-reqs and potentially get yourself a strong science GPA and last 45. If those are strong then you can apply to schools that don’t use cumulative GPA and stand a chance but you’ll have to apply smart and may need to take a decent number of credits to reach the minimum GPA cut-off, which varies by school.

Before you head back to school I would look long and hard at your study habits and try to figure out why your grades were crap. Were you doing too much? Were you studying wrong? Cs in your pre-reqs will only steepen your uphill battle.

MaLeS iNcReAsE dIvErSiTy

:rolleyes:
This is the best comment I've ever read on SDN

It inspired me to make this:
upload_2018-11-30_21-23-56.png

Reactions: 7 users
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some input. My cumulative GPA is around a 3.55 currently, but I'm pretty much averaging B's in my pre-req classes. I'm building up a lot of varied experience right now in wildlife, small animal, and research, but was wondering if a B average in pre-req classes will really limit me to schools I have a shot at getting accepted to? I'd like to stay in the states and some of my top choices are UMN, CSU, VMCVM, Oregon, LMU, and WSU. I've scanned through a lot of the accepted student stats forums but would like some input directly. Thank you!

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some input. My cumulative GPA is around a 3.55 currently, but I'm pretty much averaging B's in my pre-req classes. I'm building up a lot of varied experience right now in wildlife, small animal, and research, but was wondering if a B average in pre-req classes will really limit me to schools I have a shot at getting accepted to? I'd like to stay in the states and some of my top choices are UMN, CSU, VMCVM, Oregon, LMU, and WSU. I've scanned through a lot of the accepted student stats forums but would like some input directly. Thank you!
A 3.0 GPA in pre-reqs may substantially limit your options. A 3.55 for cumulative is decent and your pre-req GPA should aim to be up there as well. Oregon state's pre-req GPA for the c/o 2022 was 3.59 (Fact Sheet). I am not sure about other schools but checking their websites is a good way to find that info. If you need to take on less responsibilities in order to boost your GPA, I would do that. GPA is king in a lot of ways. It is much easier to get more experience than improve a low GPA.

I'm also a male, and apparently, that helps your application?

I'm sure this thread will be closed and moved to the "What are my chances?" thread, but I couldn't pass up this opportunity.

upload_2018-11-30_21-23-56-png.243149

Reactions: 9 users
I'm just wondering if preDMV is supposed to be preDVM...

Also sure this'll get moved but OP, what's your last 45 GPA, and how many experience hours do you have?

I'm sure this thread will be closed and moved to the "What are my chances?" thread, but I couldn't pass up this opportunity.

upload_2018-11-30_21-23-56-png.243149

To play devils advocate, diversity is in all senses. If there is a class of all females, it's not diverse. If there's a class of all males, it's not diverse. A class with a mix of males and females would be diverse. It goes both ways.

To play devils advocate, diversity is in all senses. If there is a class of all females, it's not diverse. If there's a class of all males, it's not diverse. A class with a mix of males and females would be diverse. It goes both ways.

This is fairly similar to saying reverse racism and reverse sexism are actual things

Reactions: 3 users
This is fairly similar to saying reverse racism and reverse sexism are actual things

Actually it's not. It's saying that diversity is diversity, period. Racism is racism, period. You can be a person of color and be actually racist against white people just like white people can be actually racist against people of other races. Sexism is sexism, period. You can be a male and be actually misogynistic. You can be female and be actually misandrous.

Diversity isn't just inclusion of minorities. It is a variety of people with different social backgrounds. Completely excluding one group because they're considered a majority doesn't make your program diverse.

You can be a person of color and be actually racist against white people
You can be female and be actually misandrous.

We will have to agree to disagree on these points.

Diversity isn't just inclusion of minorities. It is a variety of people with different social backgrounds.

Of course. Socioeconomic standing and things of the like would also be included here.

Completely excluding one group because they're considered a majority doesn't make your program diverse.

No one's trying to exclude anyone, that was never a thing.

We will have to agree to disagree on these points.

Of course. Socioeconomic standing and things of the like would also be included here.

No one's trying to exclude anyone, that was never a thing.

To your first point, people of all races are racist against others. That's the short of it. There are black people that CLEARLY show hatred toward white people because of their skin color just like there are white people that clearly show hatred toward blacks and other races because of their skin color. Racism is literally discrimination against someone because of their skin color. There isn't "reverse racism" it's just racism period. Same with sexism. There are women that LITERALLY hate men because they're men just like there are men that are literally misogynists. EDIT: But yes, agree to disagree because this is something that we could argue about all day and neither of us would likely change our minds.

My point is, when you have a group of ALL females - including males WOULD increase diversity. The dictionary definition of diversity is "the state of being diverse, variety" or "being composed of different groups." From this, a group of all females would not make a group diverse. That's what I'm saying.

Either way, by saying that "men don't increase diversity" your statement is frankly incorrect. Men do increase diversity WHEN you have a group of all females or almost all females. That's my point. By saying that men don't increase diversity you are inherently saying that excluding men would be the option to have the most diverse group, which again, is incorrect.

The basis of diversity is variety and that is what I am referring to.

Reactions: 4 users
My point is, when you have a group of ALL females - including males WOULD increase diversity. The dictionary definition of diversity is "the state of being diverse, variety" or "being composed of different groups." From this, a group of all females would not make a group diverse. That's what I'm saying.

I agree with you to an extent, but I feel your interpretation of the word is too literal. There are all sorts of societal caveats to the dictionary definition. It's going to mean something a little bit different everywhere, including in veterinary medicine.

P.S. I hope you know I'm not arguing with you - this is a discussion that should be had among colleagues, peers, etc. More often that not it just isn't, though, unfortunately.

Reactions: 6 users
I agree with you to an extent, but I feel your interpretation of the word is too literal. There are all sorts of societal caveats to the dictionary definition. It's going to mean something a little bit different everywhere, including in veterinary medicine.

I understand that diversity does have caveats. But that's also why I included the definition and why I am abiding by it. In veterinary medicine, it would be more diverse, nowadays, for more men to be included in the profession. To wrap back up about why we are discussing this in the first place, male voices are often lost in the blur of all of the females that have completely swallowed up the profession. Just from my opinion, to deny that males don't increase diversity in veterinary medicine would be a false statement. They do, at least now, as compared to 20 years ago when classes weren't nearly all female. I just feel like people consider diversity to only be "more minorities."

I also have the opinion that your social identities shouldn't get you farther in the world. Diversity of thought is just as important as diversity in appearance, wealth, etc, but diversity of thought is often overlooked (especially in today's political climate).

Also, I appreciate that we are having this conversation without it being an argument. Our society needs more civil discourse on disagreeing topics.

Edited error on my part.

Last edited:
Classes were nearly all MALE 20 years ago.

Just putting that out there.
Where I said were, I meant weren't. That's my mistake. But my statement still stands. Adding men to a class full of all men wouldn't increase diversity but adding men to a class of all women would.

On the discussion of class demographics, it's hard to say males have an advantage in applications across all schools. Last I saw, ~20% of applicants were male and ~20% of matriculants are male.

I would think there's a problem if ~20% of applicants were male and ~80% of matriculants were male, or if ~20% of applicants were male and ~5% of matriculants are male. Those are the situations that seem sketchy.

Reactions: 7 users
To your first point, people of all races are racist against others. That's the short of it. There are black people that CLEARLY show hatred toward white people because of their skin color just like there are white people that clearly show hatred toward blacks and other races because of their skin color. Racism is literally discrimination against someone because of their skin color. There isn't "reverse racism" it's just racism period. Same with sexism. There are women that LITERALLY hate men because they're men just like there are men that are literally misogynists. EDIT: But yes, agree to disagree because this is something that we could argue about all day and neither of us would likely change our minds.

Either way, by saying that "men don't increase diversity" your statement is frankly incorrect. Men do increase diversity WHEN you have a group of all females or almost all females. That's my point. By saying that men don't increase diversity you are inherently saying that excluding men would be the option to have the most diverse group, which again, is incorrect.

The basis of diversity is variety and that is what I am referring to.
Oh lord. Almost everything you are saying is completely wrong. POC cannot be racist towards white people. Women cannot be sexist towards men. These words hold power dynamics with them. In situations like these, I am so thankful for my liberal arts background. I am assuming you aren't in vet school yet? I highly highly recommend you take some humanities classes (like women's and gender studies classes or black history, etc). You are making yourself sound woefully uneducated. Also, please stop using "females", it's just very cringe-worthy.

I will provide you with a couple things to think about:
upload_2018-12-3_22-16-1.png
upload_2018-12-3_22-17-1.png

Reactions: 9 users
Oh lord. Almost everything you are saying is completely wrong. POC cannot be racist towards white people. Women cannot be sexist towards men. These words hold power dynamics with them. In situations like these, I am so thankful for my liberal arts background. I am assuming you aren't in vet school yet? I highly highly recommend you take some humanities classes (like women's and gender studies classes or black history, etc). You are making yourself sound woefully uneducated. Also, please stop using "females", it's just very cringe-worthy.

View attachment 243356View attachment 243357

I want to unlike this just to like it again.

You guys are going to derail this with your (important) discussion and we're never going to find out if that username is supposed to be preDVM instead of preDMV.

Reactions: 15 users

View attachment 243356View attachment 243357
Hey now- there was no need to be mean. This discussion was educated and civil before your comment. This is a sensitive subject, but just because someone doesn’t agree with you 100% doesn’t mean he or she is wrong.

You guys are going to derail this with your (important) discussion and we're never going to find out if that username is supposed to be preDVM instead of preDMV.
They said it was supposed to be DVM but preDVM was taken (which doesn’t seem to exist when you look it up but whatevs)!!!! So now they’re preDMV. THEY GON STEER THEIR FUTURE ALL THE WAY TO VET SCHOOL.

Edit: I can no longer find their post to quote BUT IT WAS THERE AT ONE POINT. They also deleted their chances post because everyone derailed this vehicle.

They said it was supposed to be DVM but preDVM was taken (which doesn’t seem to exist when you look it up but whatevs)!!!! So now they’re preDMV. THEY GON STEER THEIR FUTURE ALL THE WAY TO VET SCHOOL.

Edit: I can no longer find their post to quote BUT IT WAS THERE AT ONE POINT. They also deleted their chances post because everyone derailed this vehicle.
Hey ski..are you an older male with kids? Because your dad jokes are on point :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users

The fact that you're so stuck in your opinion that you feel the need to bash someone because their opinion doesn't align with yours gives you a childish, entitled tone. There was ZERO reason for you to bash me and say that I'm "woefully uneducated." I don't have to defend myself to you because, quite frankly, you don't seem worth discussing with because you have the belief that yours is the only opinion that matters. Female/male are correct terms when referring to someone's sex, sorry you cringe at a medically correct term. Men/women are more for gender. Yes, I understand the difference.

My status regarding veterinary school doesn't matter in this situation. You have no idea the classes I have taken/am currently taking so you actually have no place to tell me what I should do. I am well educated, thank you. I don't need your entitled opinions telling me I'm not educated enough to hold opinions or views on topics such as racism, sexism, etc.

And yes, there are racist people of color and sexist women. I have experienced it myself. I know plenty of people of color that hold prejudice that they are better than other people. THAT IS RACISM. Racism is prejudice, discrimination, and antagonism toward someone of a race other than your own because you believe your race is better. Your belief is that it is intertwined with power, but it isn't necessarily intertwined. Yes, the common definition might be, but not all situations are aligned with a minority/majority power dynamic. Same with sexism. Period.

Plainly, you are the one being a bigot right now. Your opinion isn't the only one that matters. Feel free to contact me individually if you'd like to further discuss this rather than attacking someone else on a forum, although I have a feeling it would be a dead-end conversation on both ends.

Hey now- there was no need to be mean. This discussion was educated and civil before your comment. This is a sensitive subject, but just because someone doesn’t agree with you 100% doesn’t mean he or she is wrong.

Thank you. It's possible you and I might not agree but I appreciate that you promote healthy dialogue rather than attacking other people for differing views.

Last edited:
Yes, technically, from a dictionary definition of the word "diversity", taking gender into consideration and accepting more males would be increasing "diversity"

However, we don't live in a world of dictionary definitions that apply across all situations. While being technically correct is of course the best kind of correct ( ;) ), I think we all realize that when diversity is discussed, it encompasses a whole lot of social connotations.

There are also, as far as I know, no barriers to men entering the veterinary profession that are different from those barriers that exist for women, and no roles that men would serve as veterinarians that women wouldn't. There are fewer males because fewer males want to be there, whatever the reasons for that, it is not because of any disadvantage. Diversity for diversity's sake is silly. Giving consideration to applicants from disadvantaged backgrounds who are likely to give back to their communities when they graduate is one thing. Giving consideration to an applicant because he has a y chromosome...I think you'd have a hard time arguing there is anything there other than use of a buzzword to attract applicants who feel like the school might give them a better shot because they're male. I'm open to rebuttals on that, I just can't think of a single reason why that in particular should be a concern.

But really guys, what is this, the SPF? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.