what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unregistered

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year med student at us med school. I am waiting for board scores to come back, ordinary student first two years. But I have a fair amount of research in oncology (NCI for roughly a year), neuroscience (NINDS for a summer), various biotech companies), and currently working in neurooncology lab on and off (I consider the head of the lab to be a mentor). I think I will get a couple of publications (not first author)/ couple of posters/ and hopefully get to present at a national meeting-- due to my work in the neuroncology lab. I was wondering if I get a score of above 220, would I have a realistic chance at matching in rad onc, I have a specific interest in CNS and head neck tumors/ targeted delivery. Just curious.....

Members don't see this ad.

first, you should read posts from about 6-12 months ago for more information.

getting a residency of your choice is a game. whoever plays it best will get a spot. whether its PMR or derm. (depending on how competitive the residency is, you may not have a choice of location though!)

research, scores, contacts/letters, i believe, are the 3 most important components to your application. research helps, publishing is better, and presenting is icing on the cake. with respect to scores, you need to get as high a score is possible, but getting above the mean is ok. finally, its who you know. you need to have people make calls, write great letters, and make a pitch for you. you are gonna have to do away rotations, etc. finally, you have to be on top of everything...your research, your applications,etc

hope this helps

Be careful of the "Who you know" issue; its actually really not so much that; Ive seen the kids of prominant rad onc docs fail to match because they we're strong enough. I would say that you have to impress-and get to know people that way. DO a great rotation or two, including an outside rotation and get some great letters from prominant people. Those will go a long way.