What are MY chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful_vet2026

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 33 years old, took a decade off from pursuing higher education to have a family and have been working towards my animal science degree (focusing on prerequisites first) for the last 2 years and have all prereqs finished at this point. I applied, interviewed and was rejected this past cycle, my first cycle, and had a packet review with one admissions person who told me strictly it was my grades. Which, is completely understandable seeing as how I started back after a decade off with the chemistries and physics and came out with Cs. This cycle, I'm adding multiple Bs, an A or 2 and another C. I have thousands of experience hours in a variety of areas, I have above average GRE scores (per admissions lady) and my interview was "stellar" and "everyone loved my personality". Basically, my question is....

If my grades were what cut me out last go around, will a couple better grades really make an enormous difference?

I know this is just generic, blanketed information but I hope you can follow it.

Members don't see this ad.

I am 33 years old, took a decade off from pursuing higher education to have a family and have been working towards my animal science degree (focusing on prerequisites first) for the last 2 years and have all prereqs finished at this point. I applied, interviewed and was rejected this past cycle, my first cycle, and had a packet review with one admissions person who told me strictly it was my grades. Which, is completely understandable seeing as how I started back after a decade off with the chemistries and physics and came out with Cs. This cycle, I'm adding multiple Bs, an A or 2 and another C. I have thousands of experience hours in a variety of areas, I have above average GRE scores (per admissions lady) and my interview was "stellar" and "everyone loved my personality". Basically, my question is....

If my grades were what cut me out last go around, will a couple better grades really make an enormous difference?

I know this is just generic, blanketed information but I hope you can follow it.

I think taking higher level science classes and doing well in them is what they likely want to see. If the credits were older, they want to make sure you can handle the academic load that comes with vet school. Then you should apply smartly from there and perhaps more success can be gained if the rest of your app is good, which seems to be indicated by your previous feedback. Just make sure that you look at the average GPAs and any cutoffs to make sure you don't apply to a place that places emphasis on cumulative GPA, which hopefully your instate is a go for this. :)

Reactions: 1 users

What is your GPA? science GPA? If it is around a 2.0 or 2.5, you will find it very difficult if not impossible to be accepted anywhere. The goal should be to have a majority of As on your transcript. It will be difficult to get in anywhere besides perhaps the Caribbean with a sub 3.0. I hate to be blunt but that is the reality.
To answer your question, a slight rise in GPA, if still below 3.0, will be unlikely to make a difference. sorry :/

Reactions: 1 user