MD What are my Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fightingirish17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA- 3.63
sGPA- 3.45
MCAT- 522
60 hours of clinical shadowing
800 hours of research in a neuroscience lab on NSF funded project but never got publications or posters because we couldn't get project to work
150 hours hospital volunteering
120 hours of volunteering at halfway house
100 hours teaching kids from low income schools genetics experiments
500 hours of legal intern
80 hours cross country coaching
Student Government and Senior Class Council board members
2 year PR coordinator for club
3 STRONG LORS (1 from law intern, 1 research, 1 lit professor)
2 so so LORS (2 science)

About to do 1 gap year teaching middle school science classes with TFA

My dream school is Georgetown but I know it's hella competitive. I applied to 31 schools so a big mix of high reach, low reach, and medium schools. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Were you going to be a lawyer before you switched to premed? If you list your schools we might be better able to help you. Nice MCAT(congrats) but truthfully your sGPA is a bit low as your cGPA is about average. I think your chances depend totally on your list. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Were you going to be a lawyer before you switched to premed? If you list your schools we might be better able to help you. Nice MCAT(congrats) but truthfully your sGPA is a bit low as your cGPA is about average. I think your chances depend totally on your list. Good luck!

Hey thanks for the reply! I've never considered becoming just a lawyer, but have considered doing an MD/JD but have always wanted to be a doctor since I started as a legal intern. It was just some professional experience. And here is my list. Also for what it's worth I am a white, upper middle class, male from a top 20 undergrad.
Gtown
Dartmouth
Loyola
UVA
Vtech
VCU
Northwestern
Illinois Chicago
WashU in STL
Oregon Health Sciences
Temple
Penn State
Jefferson
Emory
Tulane
Tufts
BU
UC Irvine
UCincinatti
Case Western
Michigan
Rush
Creighton
Vermont
Indiana
Wisconsin
Duke
UChicago
Drexel

Members don't see this ad :)
What state are you from? Did you use the MSAR to develop your list? I'm particularly talking about IS v OOS acceptances. Your MCAT is exceptional. I'm not sure how schools will react to it with your GPAs. I do think you'll be fine with the Jesuit schools. Check the obscene amount of service requirements for Rush. Illinois has horrible OOS tuition if you aren't an IL resident. Also check on Oregon. I'm not sure they take OOS students or if they do it's not many. You can also use the MSAR to see where your are stats wise at the other schools. Good luck.

What state are you from? Did you use the MSAR to develop your list? I'm particularly talking about IS v OOS acceptances. Your MCAT is exceptional. I'm not sure how schools will react to it with your GPAs. I do think you'll be fine with the Jesuit schools. Check the obscene amount of service requirements for Rush. Illinois has horrible OOS tuition if you aren't an IL resident. Also check on Oregon. I'm not sure they take OOS students or if they do it's not many. You can also use the MSAR to see where your are stats wise at the other schools. Good luck.

Thank you! I am from Chicago. I used my premed advisor to generate the list, although several of the reach schools (NW UChicago Duke) were not specifically places she told me to apply. I know Oregon doesn't take too many OOS, but as I'll be in Eugene, OR next year I was thinking that might help my chances but honestly no idea if it will. Def hoping the MCAT helps with the low GPA. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 user
Did you have a rising GPA trend?

Skip U OR until you actually a resident of the state for a year.

Delete VA Tech and all the State schools except U ILL, and IU
I posted this without calculating my sGPA so i just spent the last few minutes doing that. So updated stats are 3.63 cGPA and 3.53s sGPA. I had an incredible freshman year and then sophomore year my grades slipped and then rose junior and senior year.

I suggest the following:

Wash U OR U Chicago OR U Penn
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Northwestern
Case
Harvard OR Yale
Stanford
JHU