What are my chances to getting into NCSU and UGA CSU and UPenn 2024 application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Princess1243

Reaction score
Hello! I was wondering if you could tell me an estimate of my chances of getting into NCSU, UGA, CSU, and UPenn veterinary schools.

Courses I took and the grades associated with each:
Introduction to Computers-3 A
8CB9E57BEDDE62E4F67DEB6E19F5308C.cache.png

Introduction to Communication-3 A
College Success-1 A
Elementary Algebra-4 A
Developmental Psychology-3 A
English I- 3 A
English II-3 A
Introduction to Psychology- 3 A
Gen chem 1-4 A
Intermediate Algebra-3 A
Ethics and moral problems-3 A
Abnormal Psych-3 A
Gen Chem 2-4 A
College Algebra- 3 A
Intro to biology- 4 A
Mod American history-3 A
physics 1- 4 B
principals of sociology- 3 A
Biology II-4 A
Intro to film-3 A
Research Methods in the social sciences- 3 A
Physics II-4 B+
Genetics-3 A
Organic chem 1-3 A-
Organic chem 1 lab-1 A
university experience course-3 A
Elementary functions-3 A
Basic small animal handling and husbandry-2 A
Calculus I-4 A
Biostatistics- 3 A
Animal anat and phys- 4 A
Introduction to bioinformatics -2 A
Organic chem 2-3 A-
Organic chem 2 lab- B+
Social media content-3 A
Biochem-3 A
Biochem lab-1 A
Principles of animal nutrition- 3 A
people and animals- 3 A
Clin Path-3 A
small animal research techniques- 3A
intro to animal science- 3 A
General to Microbiology-4 W
Equine health and management-3 A-
Lab animal technical skills-2 A-
Pathology and disease of small animals-3 A-
Companion and domestic animal policy-3 A-

Cell and Molecular Biology-3 A
Human Physiology- 3 A

*the courses that are bolded are currently what I am taking now, this is what I think I will be getting with them.** I am currently in Microbiology now and I think I will be in the C range for that, I am not sure due to not finishing the course yet.*

Current GPA at my university: As of right now I am at a 3.951
(not including the classes that are in bold)

I am not sure what my science GPA would be?

Veterinary Experience (large, small, and an hour of wildlife included): Hours 107.5

Research Experience:
-University of Pennsylvania Veterinary School Research Summer Intern
August 2022-Current-Research Assistant: MUO Research project working with a vet pathologist:

University of Pennsylvania Veterinary School Research Poster Talk: Student Research Day March 17th 2023.

Towards a better understanding of meningoencephalitides of unknown origin. Poster conference University of Pennsylvania Veterinary School Student Research Day

Animal Experience large and small included: 113.75

Extracurriculers:
Pre-Vet Club
Animal Lifeline Club
Spring 2023-President
Animal Lifeline Club-Rescue Rebuild
Georgia
Renovated domestic violence shelter to be animal friendly
Painting
Inserting dry wall
Assembling chain link fence
CRU October 2022-Current
Leader-October 2022-Current
IMPACT
Tau Sigma
PTK-Vice President-2020-2021
Dean’s List every semester
National Society of Leadership and Successful: August 2019- May 2021
2020-2021 -Science Club Vice President

Certifications: Fear Free, BQA, Rat Tickling, Hay Forage Testing

Members don't see this ad.

A number of schools have a minimum required number of vet hours to even be considered. UGA, for example, requires at least 250 hours (DVM Application Process - University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine). I'd recommend checking this for the schools you are looking at because your coursework and extracurriculars look overall strong but if you don't meet all the requirements they won't even look at your application.

Reactions: 1 users
I think your academics are extracurriculars are really strong but the reality is vet school is much more than that these days. I would really try and work on getting some more veterinary/animal hours! Especially if you are out of state of CSU or NCSU, it is essential to be a strong well rounded applicant since seats are so competitive. The average animal/veterinary experience hours over the years has become pretty high

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A number of schools have a minimum required number of vet hours to even be considered. UGA, for example, requires at least 250 hours (DVM Application Process - University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine). I'd recommend checking this for the schools you are looking at because your coursework and extracurriculars look overall strong but if you don't meet all the requirements they won't even look at your application.
NC State definitely has a minimum number of hours too

Take a year to get some experience and if you apply next cycle with 1000/hr or so of vet experience I think you're a great applicant, apply right now and you'll probably get denied across the board if you only have 100 hrs of experience, GPA/ECs/Research all looks great, but minimal vet experience is a killer.

I'll add another voice of agreement with those so far. Your GPAs and ECs are great, but you're going to be severely hindered by your lack of veterinary experience hours (and lack of animal experience hours, period). 100 hours is not enough time to gain a true understanding of the field, IMO, in addition to being well below the minimum hours cutoff at multiple programs.

You could try shooting your shot this year, but to be honest, I think it's going to be better for you both in terms of success and in terms of understanding what you're getting into if you take this next year to really beef up your veterinary hours. Try to diversify your veterinary experiences so you're seeing more aspects of the field - small animal, large animal, etc.

Reactions: 1 user