what are my chances... the return from the north

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimCAN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all... i have been following this threat for a bit now and i am just amazed at the knowledge and assistance members are willing to share ... thus my new membership.

anyways i am a canadian student at Queen's (reputable school) not a US citizen or green card holder
finished 3 years of study entering 4th to finish BSc honours.

GPA: 4.0 for both science and cumulative after amcas conversion
MCAT: 33N (10.11.12)

ECs/employment:
-treasurer of charity that focuses on clean water in africa
-volunteer for 6 years with religious organization
-volunteered in africa for 6 weeks establishing a school and curriculum
-100 hours of research exposure but no publication
-currently doing a project now with potential acknowledgment
-shadowing of 25+ hours
-mix and match of volunteering for 50-100 hours for various charities

director of marketing for internet startup
volunteer coordinator at nursing home (had to do a complete overhaul of the system)
customer service experience woo budget rent a car!
walkhome service - provides accompaniment on walks around or near campus for students

-couple scholarships
-Duke of Edinburgh award bronze and silver - although i think this is a british commonwealth thing
-Dean's list throughout undergrad

These are some schools i am interested in but i would appreciate some advice about as to my chances. these schools all accept canadians albeit not that many.

Schools:
USC
Baylor
Mayo
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Mt Sinai
Tufts
Boston U
Dartmouth
Pritzker
Northwestern
Duke
georgetown
vanderbilt
case western

ideally i would like to get in to a upper second - top tier school so to speak and please let me know if i missed any/your thoughts.

thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

anyone have any ideas... i am especially keen about chicago and dartmouth

if anyone has info it would be great!

Hey man

I think you are decent for U of Chicago.. however, from what the website says, it seems that they place a lot of emphasis on research experiences. If you have research publications or is experienced with clinical experiences you are all set. As for your GPA and MCAT, they are excellent :laugh:

Note: The writing component may hurt your application a smdige but wont sink you. Once you make it to the interview i think you are fine