What are my chances of admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcarddat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cal State LA

Bio major

3.39 Overall 3.65 Science (I think it's actually 3.75 but let's be pessimistic here)

22 AA

23 TS

20 Bio

27 Ochem

24 Gen chem

20 PAT

27 Reading Comprehension

14 QR(choked hard here, got stuck on the first couple questions, ran out of time and had to guess on half the questions.)

Should I retake my DAT I already applied last year albeit mid November I got rejected by the 5 schools I applied to. I don't know if it was because of my weak QR score or something else. I've shadowed ~100 hours and my grades are normally higher than admission(at least science GPA) information I've seen on schools websites.

I've already been prepping to retake my DAT in the first week of august but I need some advice on if I should. I can probably bring my QR score up to 19-20 and keep the rest the same. I tried contacting schools that denied me in order to ask how to improve my application every school hit me with the "our selection method is confidential".

If I submit now will schools look at my new DAT score when I take it(1st week of august)?

PLS HALP.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Schools are so frustrating sometimes :rolleyes: but dang those are reaaaaaaaaallly good scores :( I'm sad about QR. I think you should submit to 12-14 schools right now, and yes schedule to retake your DAT in August. I think last cycle you just applied too late, and to too few schools. All your other scores are really good, and keep QR from dragging you down so honestly I would apply with these scores to lots of schools asap, and see how the cycle goes. You may even get a few invites from private schools in July, and based on that, you can decide whether or not to go through with your DAT retake. After you get invites, it's up to you to show them your personality and how you're a good match for that school, and that isn't based on stats anymore..so if you get until that point with interview invites, I maybe wouldn't take your DAT. If no invites, then yes take your DAT first week of August (kind of what I did, and I submitted end of August! But you would have had everything in already!), submit your unofficial scores, wait for them to be official, and hopefully you get invites soon (I was able to get 2 pre-Dec 1st invites, and 6 post-Dec 1st invites :), along with 1 acceptance Dec 1st, where I'll be going :D). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, retake. That 27 will hold you back.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Schools are so frustrating sometimes :rolleyes: but dang those are reaaaaaaaaallly good scores :( I'm sad about QR. I think you should submit to 12-14 schools right now, and yes schedule to retake your DAT in August. I think last cycle you just applied too late, and to too few schools. All your other scores are really good, and keep QR from dragging you down so honestly I would apply with these scores to lots of schools asap, and see how the cycle goes. You may even get a few invites from private schools in July, and based on that, you can decide whether or not to go through with your DAT retake. After you get invites, it's up to you to show them your personality and how you're a good match for that school, and that isn't based on stats anymore..so if you get until that point with interview invites, I maybe wouldn't take your DAT. If no invites, then yes take your DAT first week of August (kind of what I did, and I submitted end of August! But you would have had everything in already!), submit your unofficial scores, wait for them to be official, and hopefully you get invites soon (I was able to get 2 pre-Dec 1st invites, and 6 post-Dec 1st invites :), along with 1 acceptance Dec 1st, where I'll be going :D). Good luck!
so quick question, if I do retake my DAT would the schools take that into account? Kinda why I didn't want to submit early.

so quick question, if I do retake my DAT would the schools take that into account? Kinda why I didn't want to submit early.
Yeah they will. Some might interview you without a retake, while others might keep you on hold until your new scores come in. There's always a chance that they could make a decision on you without waiting for your retake but you'll just have to try to overcome that chance by applying to a good number of schools.