What are my chances at dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shresthn855

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what my chances are at dental school. I have a 2.9 undergrad gpa :( but a 3.9 MA gpa. After this I took 6 years to work in various industry and academic labs. My last lab was a dental research lab. My DAT scores: AA is 21 and PAT is 20. I applied last year and did not get in. I was advised to take more classes and I am taking more classes hence a second Masters of Science degree, with my last semester of 3.88 (one A- rest all As). I have not heard back from any schools in either direction, no interviews, and no rejections. I have shadowed dentists and will be doing more of that this summer.

Thoughts?

What could I be missing?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering what my chances are at dental school. I have a 2.9 undergrad gpa :( but a 3.9 MA gpa. After this I took 6 years to work in various industry and academic labs. My last lab was a dental research lab. My DAT scores: AA is 21 and PAT is 20. I applied last year and did not get in. I was advised to take more classes and I am taking more classes hence a second Masters of Science degree, with my last semester of 3.88 (one A- rest all As). I have not heard back from any schools in either direction, no interviews, and no rejections. I have shadowed dentists and will be doing more of that this summer.

Thoughts?

What could I be missing?

Which programs did you apply too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
BU, Tufts, WesternU, U of Colorado, NYU, Howard, Dugoni, Temple, Case Western, Stony Brook, Turo
Well, I haven’t heard anything from Temple or tufts either. I’d recommend possible retaking the DAT and aiming for a 22+ to be more attractive. Plus, it’ll show that you’re committed to pursuing a career in dentistry.

Well, I haven’t heard anything from Temple or tufts either. I’d recommend possible retaking the DAT and aiming for a 22+ to be more attractive. Plus, it’ll show that you’re committed to pursuing a career in dentistry.

That would probably be manageable. Thank you so much!
I think if this year is a bust I will re take the DAT and re apply for my third year.

Retaking a 21?! Watse of time. Focus on the classes like they said and reapply.

Reactions: 2 users
A 21 is a good score, but it isn’t a head turner.

Still horrible advice. While it's not a head turner it is still in the 90th percentile. The schools are probably wary she's been out of school for so long. Have you finished the masters or are you still taking classes? That's a big factor, hence why most people do 1 year SMPs.

Reactions: 3 users
Professor: "I'll be passing back your exams now."

Me: *recieves a 91%*

Me: "0MG I G0TTA R3TAK3!!!11!1!1one!!one!"

:confused:

Reactions: 1 users
There’s actually a big difference between a 21 and a 22+ (90th vs 95 percentile). Im not saying their DAT is the reason they’re not hearing back, but a retake could help. But yes, being out of school for awhile may turn some programs away.

Reactions: 1 user
There’s actually a big difference between a 21 and a 22+ (90th vs 95 percentile). Im not saying their DAT is the reason they’re not hearing back, but a retake could help. But yes, being out of school for awhile may turn some programs away.

I applied with a 24 and 4.0 and still got rejected from a handful of schools. Stats help, but not as much as you think imo.

OP, think about your application as a whole. How many shadowing and volunteer hours do you have? Are your letters strong? Maybe a past professor wrote you a half-hearted letter because of your 2.9 ugpa? Its worth considering. And lastly, 3.88 is great! But I think adcoms want to see more than a single semester of results, especially since you've been out of school for 6 years. If worst comes to worst and you dont hear back this cycle, I'm very confident that you'll get in this next one.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with 8_man. It isn’t all about the stats, but they can open or close doors for you at certain schools.

Reactions: 3 users