What are military residencies considered?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue_guitar9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there both allopathic & osteopathic residencies in the military? Or are they all allopathic, or are they just military? I know this is a naive question.

Also how do these compare to other residencies as far as quality?

Members don't see this ad.

military residencies are accredited by the ACGME not the AOA...as far as quality...residencies in the military are as good and better than many civilian programs out there...an example would be the quality and credentials of the teaching faculty, state of te art facilities, and the fact that residents from all over the world in various specialties come to the Walter Reed Army Medical Center in D.C. and the Armed Forced Institute of Pathology as part of their didactic curriculum...any way you look at it...residency training programs within the military are top notch.

JPF,
yes the military residencies are ACGME certified, however there is no difficulty in getting your residency Oked by the AOA if you want to go the board certification route thru one of the AOA specialty Boards. Generally the paperwork is a formality.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any difference in quality between residency programs in the Air Force versus the Army? You hear about Walter Reed a lot, but not much about Air Force hospitals or programs. Any thoughts?

I was told that the military is very helpful with DO's and making sure that they meet all of the requirements of the AOA, especially so that their first year can count as an osteopathic internship. I was also informed that if you do not care about meeting the requirements of the AOA, that is no big deal, you can do residency;however, I warn all osteopaths. Be aware that if you jump into an allopathic residency program, whether it be military, or civilian, there are some states that you cannot be liscensed in. That may limit your options of where to practice after your military career.