Whaddya guys think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aliendh

Thankful User
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. A highly underlooked yet proven to be invaluable resource = E-MAIL. I emailed away a couple of schools with a handful of questions, and their responses (both with e-mail and snail-mail) have been more than enough to cover my questions. Don't get me wrong...a forum like this one is awesome, for its lending itself to poignant questions and broad array of contributing posters...but asking the schools themselves (assuming you've decided already on which schools/programs you're interested in) has worked wonders for me.

2. Does anyone else feel like we should change take the "MPH" out of the title of this forum? There are so many different kinds of masters degrees in Public Health these days, each of which appeal to a different kind of student and put out a (slightly) different kind of professional. After having thoroughly perused this forum, it seems what binds most of us is the "masters" and "public health" parts....tho not necessarily the "MPH". Fyi, (many of you probably already know this), but Hopkins alone gives out 4 different kinds of masters-level degrees....4!

Members don't see this ad.

aliendh said:
1. A highly underlooked yet proven to be invaluable resource = E-MAIL. I emailed away a couple of schools with a handful of questions, and their responses (both with e-mail and snail-mail) have been more than enough to cover my questions. Don't get me wrong...a forum like this one is awesome, for its lending itself to poignant questions and broad array of contributing posters...but asking the schools themselves (assuming you've decided already on which schools/programs you're interested in) has worked wonders for me.

Totally agreed. In fact, I, as well as many others, have suggested that people contact schools directly for answers. However, I think that the importance of this forum cannot be underscored in terms of having a community of people that share the same/similar interests. Especially for people who have not thought to look to the schools they are interested in first. It's a very basic concept, but honestly, not everyone readily thinks of it. They'd prefer to ask people who may know through direct or indirect experience - and this forum provides a way for students to do just that.

2. Does anyone else feel like we should change take the "MPH" out of the title of this forum? There are so many different kinds of masters degrees in Public Health these days, each of which appeal to a different kind of student and put out a (slightly) different kind of professional. After having thoroughly perused this forum, it seems what binds most of us is the "masters" and "public health" parts....tho not necessarily the "MPH". Fyi, (many of you probably already know this), but Hopkins alone gives out 4 different kinds of masters-level degrees....4!

Totally hear what you're saying here. I think that MPH is the general degree that most people are familiar with, and changing the name to reflect various other degrees? Not too sure about this. We could easily make this the MPH, MSN, MSPH, MHSA, DrPH forum as well, but I think that MPH communicates clearly enough that public health is what is being discussed. If anything, individual degrees can easily be raised as a new topic, or people could look at the "Public Health Sticky", where they can find more information on individual programs.

Just my $0.02.