Forum Members We've Updated the Site!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That does work, @slinky74. I too am not getting notifications for all of my watched threads. But maybe I have too many watched threads!
I just now tried saving that URL for watched threads as a "bookmark" on my profile but couldn't get it to work
More detail of what I see:
If I refresh SDN I see "8" number of notifications for 1/2 second, then the number disappears.
Hmm, which of my many watched threads were those 8?
If I go to allopathic school specific threads for instance, some are in bold font suggesting I haven't read them.
If this is how I will have to find my watched threads, let me know :)
Hey there! We've added the watched threads navigation item back in and it can be found here: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/watched/threads or under forums > watched

As for the alerts issue, if you see the alert indicator for 1/2 a second and then go to view your alerts, do you see any of the content that was being indicated or is there nothing new?

Members don't see this ad.

Not getting notifications for forums I’ve turned on “watch” for. Not sure if this is an issue on my end or not.
I will do some additional testing on this to see if I can track down the issue!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey there! We've added the watched threads navigation item back in and it can be found here: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/watched/threads or under forums > watched

As for the alerts issue, if you see the alert indicator for 1/2 a second and then go to view your alerts, do you see any of the content that was being indicated or is there nothing new?
Thanks for the reply @alexj-12
Since you replaced the watched threads option to the navigation bar I am using that to find my watched threads.
The number of unread threads now does match the number of alerts on the "bell" icon.

If I click on the bell icon (let's say it shows 5 alerts) and read even one of them, the bell resets to zero.
If I have alerts I can also go to the bottom of the alerts box where it says "show all" and see which threads are alerted.
I don't really think the alerts resetting to zero once I click on the bell is going to ruin my day :)

Regarding the number appearing for a half-second on the bell: It's always 8, it's always to the left of the bell, and it means nothing. It appears when I refresh the SDN page. Maybe I should try marking all forums read to see if this goes away?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will do some additional testing on this to see if I can track down the issue!
I think it may be working now? I haven’t been missing posts since the day I posted this. Thank you!

Thanks for the reply @alexj-12
Since you replaced the watched threads option to the navigation bar I am using that to find my watched threads.
The number of unread threads now does match the number of alerts on the "bell" icon.

If I click on the bell icon (let's say it shows 5 alerts) and read even one of them, the bell resets to zero.
If I have alerts I can also go to the bottom of the alerts box where it says "show all" and see which threads are alerted.
I don't really think the alerts resetting to zero once I click on the bell is going to ruin my day :)

Regarding the number appearing for a half-second on the bell: It's always 8, it's always to the left of the bell, and it means nothing. It appears when I refresh the SDN page. Maybe I should try marking all forums read to see if this goes away?
Okay great! As for the alert setting to 0 after only reading one, I can look into that further to see what might be going on there.

For the number appearing for a half-second next to the bell, would you be able to send me a screen recording of that happening? Having a visual will likely help us to track down the issue more quickly

I think it may be working now? I haven’t been missing posts since the day I posted this. Thank you!
Awesome! Please let me know if you see this issue again and I can take a close look and let me know if there's any other help you need :)

Reactions: 1 user
Okay great! As for the alert setting to 0 after only reading one, I can look into that further to see what might be going on there.

For the number appearing for a half-second next to the bell, would you be able to send me a screen recording of that happening? Having a visual will likely help us to track down the issue more quickly
I will try to do this - where would I send it to you if by some rare chance I am successful?

edited: I learned something new today & made 2 short screen recordings via Quicktime.
Send to you in a message?

Last edited:
I notice that status (pre-med, medical student, resident) can still be set in the profile, but at least when I'm looking at someone, including myself, it now just says Status(visible.

I will try to do this - where would I send it to you if by some rare chance I am successful?

edited: I learned something new today & made 2 short screen recordings via Quicktime.
Send to you in a message?
I see your PM, thanks for sending that over!

I notice that status (pre-med, medical student, resident) can still be set in the profile, but at least when I'm looking at someone, including myself, it now just says Status(visible.
Yes, thanks for brining this to my attention! This is an issue that we're aware of and looking into :)

Why are the 2020-2021 DO school specific threads privated? This is the first time I couldn't access them.
1630716212136.png

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! Sorry, there is not, but you can learn more about how the upvoting system works here if you'd like :) Forum Members - Site Updates Coming Next Week!

Is this reddit?

ETA: I don't see how this upvoting can really give any benefits. I also don't like the ability to comment within a post. That should just be considered a reply. It's a feature that doesn't really add much except confusion.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
@alexj-12 could you please restore the main SDN forum homepage with all the forum categories listed? It's very hard to navigate through different forums and the feed is filled with irrelevant and distracting threads

Additionally, why does clicking on the comment alerts (whether someone commented on your post or reacted to your comment) not direct you to the comments themselves? Clicking on them sends me to the first post of the thread

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hey there! Sorry, there is not, but you can learn more about how the upvoting system works here if you'd like :) Forum Members - Site Updates Coming Next Week!
That's unfortunate. As I recall, the upvoting wasn't very popular the last time y'all tried it, so I'm curious what prompted the decision to bring it back.

Also, just FYI, the notifications when someone comments on a post do not take you to the post in question.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
@alexj-12 could you please restore the main SDN forum homepage with all the forum categories listed? It's very hard to navigate through different forums and the feed is filled with irrelevant and distracting threads

Additionally, why does clicking on the comment alerts (whether someone commented on your post or reacted to your comment) not direct you to the comments themselves? Clicking on them sends me to the first post of the thread
Yup you can set your default back to forum list by following the instructions here: Feeds - Change Default View Let me know if you need any help setting that :)

That's unfortunate. As I recall, the upvoting wasn't very popular the last time y'all tried it, so I'm curious what prompted the decision to bring it back.

Also, just FYI, the notifications when someone comments on a post do not take you to the post in question.
Thanks for letting me know! I'll take a look at that

The decision was because it's very beneficial to the community to have multiple ways to interact with content.

The upvoting system we added is not like Reddit's upvoting system in that the content that is most upvoted won't be moved higher up than content that has less upvotes. Think of it as similar to reactions. It's just another way to tell people that you like their content, but it's not moving that content to a place of more prominence, it's simply receiving an extra score.

Upvoted posts within a thread wouldn't be moved to higher within the thread and upvoted threads within a feed wouldn't be moved up to higher within the feed unless you used a filter to view a feed in that way.

So the structure of content will stay the same, having the upvoting system included is just another way for people to say that they like someone's content.

As always, we take all of your feedback seriously and if there is a feature that enough people don't like we'll absolutely reconsider!

The decision was because it's very beneficial to the community to have multiple ways to interact with content.

The upvoting system we added is not like Reddit's upvoting system in that the content that is most upvoted won't be moved higher up than content that has less upvotes. Think of it as similar to reactions. It's just another way to tell people that you like their content, but it's not moving that content to a place of more prominence, it's simply receiving an extra score.

Upvoted posts within a thread wouldn't be moved to higher within the thread and upvoted threads within a feed wouldn't be moved up to higher within the feed unless you used a filter to view a feed in that way.

So the structure of content will stay the same, having the upvoting system included is just another way for people to say that they like someone's content.

As always, we take all of your feedback seriously and if there is a feature that enough people don't like we'll absolutely reconsider!
What is the advantage of this over the reactions that we already have available?

Reactions: 5 users
Yup you can set your default back to forum list by following the instructions here: Feeds - Change Default View Let me know if you need any help setting that :)
Thanks, changing my preference back to forum list works for me. I can also still see my alerts normally and the unread posts in my watched threads.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
What is the advantage of this over the reactions that we already have available?
One isn't necessarily better than the other, but having both the reactions and upvoting options offers multiple points of interaction with others' content based on the preferences all SDN members might have. We've found that some users only use reactions and some users prefer to use upvoting instead of the reaction system because there isn't the need to associate one of the emotion options with responding to content, so in that way it's a quicker method of responding to content because you don't need to take additional time to define what your response type is.

• Hmm
One isn't necessarily better than the other, but having both the reactions and upvoting options offers multiple points of interaction with others' content based on the preferences all SDN members might have. We've found that some users only use reactions and some users prefer to use upvoting instead of the reaction system because there isn't the need to associate one of the emotion options with responding to content, so in that way it's a quicker method of responding to content because you don't need to take additional time to define what your response type is.
It takes exactly the same amount of time to give a "like" as an upvote. Exactly. And, they both mean exactly the same thing. It's only for one of the other "emotions" where it takes more time. In any case, it's not like it's an inordinate amount of time to put "emotion" reactions in. So, as you might surmise, for me, it appears to be a "push". This is not an improvement.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
It just strikes me as building in a redundancy that clogs the space. Same with adding the comments feature when this is a forum where you can directly reply to whatever you want.

:shrug: If other people are happy with it, I'll get over it, I'm not trying to make your job harder, just don't really understand why these changes were necessary.

It just strikes me as building in a redundancy that clogs the space. Same with adding the comments feature when this is a forum where you can directly reply to whatever you want.

:shrug: If other people are happy with it, I'll get over it, I'm not trying to make your job harder, just don't really understand why these changes were necessary.
One hundred percent agree. It just makes the interface more confusing without adding anything.

Can someone refresh me if thumbs down dislikes count against someone's reaction score?

Because if so, then this is another physician you won't see giving any advice in pre-allo or to other aspiring physicians because of the dislike reactions.

Hey everyone, just to update: the comment feature has been removed!

• Love

No worries, I want to hear your feedback, positive or negative! The changes were made to give you the option to find content differently. A lot of the feeds, such as the threads feed, give you the ability to sort by forums, so for example if you typically use the forum list and go between forums often to find different content, that is not longer necessary because you can simply filter by those forums and see all of that content in one spot.

If you wouldn't like to use the new feeds we have, that's fine too! You can set your default view to forum list here: Feeds - Change Default View

Can someone refresh me if thumbs down dislikes count against someone's reaction score?

Because if so, then this is another physician you won't see giving any advice in pre-allo or to other aspiring physicians because of the dislike reactions.
IIRC, only the inappropriate hits the reaction score negatively, but if you want to give me a random dislike to test it, I'm down.

Now please get us back to the old sdn format. I'm no longer able to move between threads.
Could you tell me where you're no longer able to move between threads so that I can help track down this issue?

IIRC, only the inappropriate hits the reaction score negatively, but if you want to give me a random dislike to test it, I'm down.
Correct! Inappropriate is the only reaction that has a negative impact on your reaction score, the rest are neutral and positive

I look at the website on my phone. I don't use an app, and I hold my phone upright, not sideways. The "upvote" tab on the left side makes the site more narrow, and, at least on the forums that I looked at, every "upvote" was zero. It just seems un-needed, to me, at least.

I look at the website on my phone. I don't use an app, and I hold my phone upright, not sideways. The "upvote" tab on the left side makes the site more narrow, and, at least on the forums that I looked at, every "upvote" was zero. It just seems un-needed, to me, at least.
Agree it looks awful and a waste of space and utility.

In my case on mobile it just appears below each post.

Hey everyone! We've disabled upvoting and made forum list the default. We really appreciate your feedback and it helps us get settled into this new system!

Hooray for "similar threads" appearing again! (Unless its always been there and I haven't noticed, in that case, hooray for keeping it)

I think the showcase achievements by username and avatars is just a waste of space in scrolling the forum. I think most of the achievements are kinda lame, and you can't even tell what they're for unless you're on desktop.

• Love
Any chance you'll bring back donor statuses any time soon? They don't even need to be functional, I just think they go a long way toward encouraging donation by making it visible how many others are donating and by keeping donations on the mind of users as they scroll

Any chance you'll bring back donor statuses any time soon? They don't even need to be functional, I just think they go a long way toward encouraging donation by making it visible how many others are donating and by keeping donations on the mind of users as they scroll
Hey there! We do have donor statuses, they were just revamped on Friday so the donor statuses for legacy donor groups have been removed. If you check out this page you can see the new options: Account upgrades