WesternU-COMP vs LECOM-B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QTG

OMS II, LECOM-B
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
WesternU
Pros
  • ISAC (summer intensive anatomy course to fulfill gross requirement prior to first semester--go on to TA other incoming first years)
  • Lots of other TA opportunities, such as the ISAC gross TA, clinical skills, and OMT
  • Academic tracks: anatomy (my favorite), lifestyle medicine (my second favorite), chronic disease...
  • Beautiful SoCal

Cons
  • Astronomical tuition (~$55K, off the top of my head)
  • Distant clinical rotations, but probably won't have to move often
  • Not as warm year-round as I was led to believe
  • Minimal research, but potential to work in other labs nearby if necessary

LECOM-B
Pros
  • PBL curriculum
  • All tests are composed of 200 "board-styled questions"
  • More reasonable tuition (~$35K, off the top of my head)
  • Always warm (hot)

Cons
  • Minimal research, volunteer, clinical opportunities (as far as I'm aware)
  • Both clinical years require moving
  • Prosection only

Summary: I could see myself enjoying either school, being a frozen New Yorker, but am just not sure what to look for as far as DO schools go if I decide to pursue a competitive specialty. Thanks for any suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First off, congrats on your acceptances!

You'll need to compare match lists between the two schools, as well as COMLEX and USMLE performances. I am not too familiar with COMP, but off the top of my head I know LECOM-B has had a few matched into some pretty competitive specialties like ortho, derm, radiology, ENT each year.

The tuition for LECOM sure is tempting, especially an $80k difference over 4 years...

As far as weather, being from the north east myself, I am sure you will be just fine in either climate :laugh:

Another important factor to consider is distance from home, if this is important for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user